FW17 All Amps Improved or Placebo Effect?

barhrecords

Axe-Master
I had been building a new Deluxe Reverb preset for an upcoming show.

When I loaded FW17, with no change, it seems to have a little more bounce to it. Playing it feels a little better and the upper mid range seems open and sweeter.

I wonder if there is anything in FW17 that would have improved a FW16 preset or the Deluxe Reverb Amp model? Or placebo?

Edit: At least I didn't ask about an HM-2 pedal or pot tapers :) cheers

Last edited:
Gracias.

It made the Deluxe Reverb very amp in the room like to my ears. Monitoring on CLR's.

This particular show has little or no reverb on any of the instruments or vocals so this preset is dry enough for me to really hear the amp details. Amazing box.

I thought that I noticed a bit more 'bounce' too, but wasn't sure if it was just my ears playing tricks on me. It's nice to know that I'm not completely insane. Take a frickin' break, Cliff!

Just started messing with the new built in preamps.

Run - don't walk - to check them out.

Seriously.

I was wondering the same thing myself, but didn't want to say anything, and sound too much like a fan-boi. :lol

In particular, the Rumbles sound fantastic now; I've always had a bit of trouble dialing them in like I hoped to hear them. The Mesa's sound great now, too - another amp I could never get exactly how I wanted to hear it.

I've been sick with the flu, and now a cold, so I haven't played much the last couple of weeks, so I was afraid it was just placebo, from not having played recently. I thought I'd just forgotten how great this thing sounds. I'm still working my way through the amps, and my favorite patches. I've been playing with the VU's, and noted that once I dialed in most of my patches nearer to the zero mark, they really did sound better. I had "most of them" pretty close to that, already, but several of my clean amp patches were pretty hot, and a little brittle sounding; once I dialed them back they sound better. I always seem to have trouble dialing in a clean tone I like.

My favorites, the Trainwrecks, Bad Cats, Plexi's, Freidmans and Fryers sound better than ever, with a lot of definition and response. The Lone Stars, JCMs, Matchless, Class A's, and Dr Zs are breaking up just right - nice feel.

All in all, this feels like a major upgrade to all of the amps, although it's not highly touted in the release notes. Thanks so much, all you FA geeks! You da' BEST! I can't wait to get over this creeping crud I've had lately, so I can give it a good burning up.

I just wanted to share the fact that the *only* time I have ever heard the term "quiescent" used up until now was on the side of a Popsicle®… "a quiescently frozen confection."

That's all I've got at the moment.

Ooh… I just remembered; I've seen the commercials – the ones with the two bathtubs? There *are* treatments available for DC sag now…

Last edited:
Okay, so Strat into Badger 18 with a touch of gain - FET preamp with a touch of drive and a touch of bass EQ… OMG! - as the kids like to say.

I can't stop playing...

Edit: At least I didn't ask about an HM-2 pedal or pot tapers :) cheers
Hey, Cliff told me he would add it. Soon is a relative term as we all know. And since you brought it up, don't be upset if I talk about it now. :)

I made my own HM-2 patch and A/B'd to the real thing and I think it sounds 99% there. I actually sold my HM-2 it was so close (imho). Just copy the drive block to any existing preset you have, or match my drive block settings if you don't like the way the preset sounds. I can't account for any changes that may occur from when i made it in FW 15 to now but it still sounds good on 16. Anyone who wants it can get it here:
Axe-Change - Download Preset - HM-2 Emulator - by jsl2h

P.S.
Thank you Cliff for creating something so awesome that with a little know-how I can create pedals that aren't even modeled. I'm the guy that eavesdrops on strangers when they talk about what amp they're saving for and convince them to go buy an Axe Fx II instead. My axe is almost as much of an instrument to me as my guitar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom