FW11 5150 (Gojira - Esoteric Surgery)

Your best bet is to reroute all of the drums to your daw then mix them from there. Superior plugins are ok but your daws are way better. Then sample out the kick/snare with drumagog or another program. This will make your drums sound HUGE!!!!!!

Hmmmmmm...:?

Thanks :). But it's not a preset either. It's stock Metal Foundry without any processing or plugins. I route each drum mic to an independent channel in Logic, and I process all drums independently in the DAW.

Definitely sounds better. Still something about that snare though. I HAD to go listen to the album version - They definitely have a tighter/crisper snare sound, and a bit drier on the reverb. Still sounds awesome! I'm just being picky though, sorry!! :lol

Didn't realise it was superior drummer - I really want/need to get it for my own setup. I think it sounds pretty natural in most parts but some bits do sound more fake/programmed, particularly the fast snare rolls. Have you tried playing around with the velocities?? Makes a big difference. I remember reading somewhere that SD/Metal Foundry doesn't have the "humanize" function, so you have to do it manually which takes FOREVER - but well worth it for the end result if you want more "real" sounding drums.

Hey dude. I actually pencil in each drum hit and it's velocity manually - I usually spend a day just on writing out the drums. I dont use the humanise function. Perhaps I need to fluctuate the velocities more, but those rolls are quite a b**tch to figure out, to begin with. Should I send you the drum midi, and maybe you could see if you get better results?

sounds great - the playing is ultra tight as well.

Id echo the snare comments its got a bit too much reverb but overall an awesome recording.

Hey dude. I actually pencil in each drum hit and it's velocity manually - I usually spend a day just on writing out the drums. I dont use the humanise function. Perhaps I need to fluctuate the velocities more, but those rolls are quite a b**tch to figure out, to begin with. Should I send you the drum midi, and maybe you could see if you get better results?

Yeah manually programming drums is a PITA!!!! But its also the only way to get a great, natural drum sound. From my experience the rolls are definitely the hardest part to get sounding natural. You have to imagine how a real drummer hits the skins during a fast roll - the first hit is usually quite hard then softens up a little and finishes strong again. I try to replicate that as best I can with velocities but the faster the roll the harder it is to achieve I think. Also, you can vary the velocities quite a bit - more than you might think. It's really noticeable if a single snare or bass drum hit is louder or softer, but during a roll I've found you actually need larger inconsistencies to make it sound "right". Hope that helps. I'm certainly no guru at drum programming, but I've had days where i've spent ages just getting a single roll sounding decent!! For sure, feel free to pm me and maybe I could have a crack at it.

Thanks Nojyeloot, Nick and Dr Buds, much appreciated. My next mix will have less snare reverb and more inconsistent hits during the drum rolls for sure ;)

Thanks, man. Aftermaths are excellent - very clear and versatile as well. I get some great cleans and low gain tones out of them easily.

Back
Top Bottom