fw1.06 ac30 U2, almost there...!!

edo

Power User
Vendor
Quick A/B clip between my rig (guitar into axe fx) and U2's recent live in Paris. I'm still missing that extra crunch in the 2KHz area but I'm getting much closer than I used to with previous wf's. Any ideas on how to get that crunchiness on the hi mids without losing definition??

Is that played with the new edge signature strat?

Do you use the ac30brt?

Btw why don't you use a peq to (only) boost the 2k hz area a little?

I've definitely been liking my U2 tones these days. I missed a huge part previously by routing the delay after the amp. Moved it up to before and made a nice difference. To some this was common obvious knowledge. I missed it somehow. And yea 1.06 is chiming pretty nicely.

Is that played with the new edge signature strat?

Do you use the ac30brt?

Btw why don't you use a peq to (only) boost the 2k hz area a little?

Yes, that is the new edge strat, and I already used the amp block eq, set to pre, boosting at 1.6 and 3.2 khz by 5.3db's. I must say that in the meantime since I posted the clip I've messed with it some more and now it's much closer, although I'm not quite sure it sounds better! :D
Amp model is ac30tb btw

Yes, that is the new edge strat, and I already used the amp block eq, set to pre, boosting at 1.6 and 3.2 khz by 5.3db's. I must say that in the meantime since I posted the clip I've messed with it some more and now it's much closer, although I'm not quite sure it sounds better! :D
Amp model is ac30tb btw

Do you check against the imgl edge soundcheck? They have a big peak at 2khz. But i think thats a bit too much due to the environment played in (reverb). When i use a peq with peak of 5 db at 2khz area its just a little bit boosted when made visual in a db graph. But it has similarities when checking with edges sounds (non imgl). i tried the same trick (boost some freq around 2hz) but i thought it didnt sound equal.

Listening to your clip i hear what you say (but am unsure if i would have heard it if you didnt say it, lol). You are getting really close indeed.

Last edited:
Try a multiband comp between the amp and cab block.

Turn off the low / high comp by setting the ratios to 1.

For the mid band, move the crossover points so that the target frequency is in the center of the decade (octave).

Adjust the threshold for about 4-6db of compression. Then boost the level the desired number of db over the gain reduction. E.g. 4db gain reduction, 8db of make up gain. Effectively boosting the mid band.

The compression will smooth out the area while still giving you a boost.

@edo, great sounding clip. Personally, I like your version better than the Paris comparison clip. To my ears anyway, your clip sounds much closer to the Slane and Superbowl version of Streets. The Paris version sounds a bit too overdriven to me, during the intro. arpeggio. Is that the 2 kHz crunch you're referring to?

Of course, personal preference factors into the equation and maybe you prefer the Paris I+E version. Either way, as always, I'm still very interested in learning more about your tone quest! :)

Reactions: edo
this might sound weird, but try some of the mics in the cab block. the difference i hear isn't the amp, or the guitar, or even the speaker, but it sounds like it's the mic on the speaker. rather than trolling through tons of ir's to find a different one, just try going through the mics in the cab block. it might not work at all, but it's just a suggestion... and yes, i know the ir already has a mic baked in, but i'm just throwing it out there...

this might sound weird, but try some of the mics in the cab block. the difference i hear isn't the amp, or the guitar, or even the speaker, but it sounds like it's the mic on the speaker. rather than trolling through tons of ir's to find a different one, just try going through the mics in the cab block. it might not work at all, but it's just a suggestion... and yes, i know the ir already has a mic baked in, but i'm just throwing it out there...

good suggestion

and try the cab block preamp models too... there are some of those that add "hash" around the 2K band by upping the preamp drive / saturation

Edo, I think that might be the closest Streets sound I've heard. Well done. :)

What do you think about the FS-1 in the bridge? Do you think Edge has them all his Strats?

Edo, I think that might be the closest Streets sound I've heard. Well done. :)

What do you think about the FS-1 in the bridge? Do you think Edge has them all his Strats?

Thanks! The fs1 in the bridge sounds surprisingly well, I had tried it in the past in another strat, but maybe because of the middle pick up, the quack sound didn't quite quack and I replaced it. I wouldn't say he has had the fs1 in his vintage strats, but I'm 100% positive he has it in most current strats (the signature one and its twin without signature have it with custom flat poles, the blackie tuned 1 step down has the regular stock version with staggered poles). I'm not 100% sure about the other strats as I never bothered looking for closeups!

Quick A/B clip between my rig (guitar into axe fx) and U2's recent live in Paris. I'm still missing that extra crunch in the 2KHz area but I'm getting much closer than I used to with previous wf's. Any ideas on how to get that crunchiness on the hi mids without losing definition??

any chance you put the patch on axe exchange?

I thought the same thing. I had read in various places that Edge used the FS-1 in the bridge around the War era, but I've heard conflicting things about whether they were still there or if he reverted back to a vintage-style bridge pickup. I had a guitar that I put a David Gilmour-style pickup set into (Fat 50s, CS 69, Dimarzio SSL-5), and it definitely modified the position 2 sound on the Strat. For that reason, I was always hesitant to install an FS-1 in my 'U2' Strat.

Edo, would you be able to give me some guidance on honing my sound for this song? I like the sound I have, but I think you're much closer than I am. :)

Thanks! :)

I took Edo's advice on boosting the 1.6 and 3.2 frequencies in Amp Block and barhrecords' advice about the Multi-comp between the Amp and Cab Block...but I'm still tweaking and experimenting. It feels like I'm walking around the sound I want, but can't quite get there. :)

The challenge is that we have no idea of the fine details of what goes into Edge's signal chain. In addition to whatever effects he is using, who know how many amps and AxeFX's are being used to create this sound? At most we can get 2 amps in the Axe. He has 4 of them and as many amps on stage (if not more). To get as close as some of you have with a single Axe is nothing short of amazing.

Back
Top Bottom