FW Updates for the FM9?

Not really- Axe-FX III is "the masters workshop" and is a completely different CPU architecture than FM3/FM9. FM3/FM9 share similar architecture.
I think that's a fair point. However, I still don't think we can dismiss the FM9 as a new unit...

Cliff is involved directly with the AxeFX III firmware development. He's mentioned that there is a separate team that handles the FM3 firmware that ports his work over to that unit. I assume the same for the FM9 (either the same FM3 team or another team handles it, but not Cliff directly).

As mentioned, the CPU architectures for the FM units is much different from the one the AxeFX III uses. This can generally create challenges in porting some things from one unit to the next. Couple that with having to play catch-up (by design), it means FW updates for the floor units are typically going to be much less frequency than the flagship.

The updates will come. In the meantime, enjoy the great sounding hardware you've got and make music!

Cliff is involved directly with the AxeFX III firmware development. He's mentioned that there is a separate team that handles the FM3 firmware that ports his work over to that unit. I assume the same for the FM9 (either the same FM3 team or another team handles it, but not Cliff directly).

As mentioned, the CPU architectures for the FM units is much different from the one the AxeFX III uses. This can generally create challenges in porting some things from one unit to the next. Couple that with having to play catch-up (by design), it means FW updates for the floor units are typically going to be much less frequency than the flagship.

The updates will come. In the meantime, enjoy the great sounding hardware you've got and make music!
Well said. As a programmer it's difficult to exaggerate what a PITA it is porting code between platforms. At least FAS cares enough to have a dedicated team bringing innovations from the flagship product into the more portable and affordable ones.

Back
Top Bottom