FW Update issues

fabes11

hi all,

since FW 13 my AXE freezed with EVERY fw update, an eprom is allready placed inside the axe, but i have to open my axe after EVERY fw update and place the pin to flash the unit...
Does anybody had the"freeze problem" several times too? Jochen from g66 told me to try another computer, but with the update on fw 14 i had the same issue with a different mac...

Thanks for sharing ideas

fabio

Are you SURE you are not using the same cable? Are you also waiting until the Axe finishes actually writing the update to the Axe? One thing that I thought might cause people to make a mistake is that the computer beeps that it's finished sending the data but the Axe needs another minute to actually write it to the EPROM. Make sure that step is finished. When the Axe tells you to shut down for 5 seconds is when it's safe to restart.

Cables are notorious for going bad. If not that, check the connection on the Axe itself to see if it's loose. If not, call support.

Are you SURE you are not using the same cable? Are you also waiting until the Axe finishes actually writing the update to the Axe? One thing that I thought might cause people to make a mistake is that the computer beeps that it's finished sending the data but the Axe needs another minute to actually write it to the EPROM. Make sure that step is finished. When the Axe tells you to shut down for 5 seconds is when it's safe to restart.

Cables are notorious for going bad. If not that, check the connection on the Axe itself to see if it's loose. If not, call support.

thanks for helping
my axe freezes while writing the update to the axe, in fractalbot the update is done, i did a lot of updates in the past without a problem, since FW13 there is something weird...i tried it with dofferent cables, no luck...

thanks for helping
my axe freezes while writing the update to the axe, in fractalbot the update is done, i did a lot of updates in the past without a problem, since FW13 there is something weird...i tried it with dofferent cables, no luck...

Same here. I've had my AxeFx II since FW 1.0. I never had a freezing issue until 13. Had to reboot 2 times for the different FW 13 updates. I plan on updating to FW 14 this week but I am dreading the idea of un-racking and rebooting the unit again.

Fingers crossed!

Okay, so just to make sure, what is happening exactly when the freeze occurs? Fractal Bot says it's finished sending and warns to wait until it's actually writen? Or does it happen while Fractal Bot is sending the data? How long have you waited for it to finish? How many different cables have you tried and is the connection loose on either end? It could be your USB port.

Do you have the latest drivers installed as well?

Okay, so just to make sure, what is happening exactly when the freeze occurs? Fractal Bot says it's finished sending and warns to wait until it's actually writen? Or does it happen while Fractal Bot is sending the data? How long have you waited for it to finish? How many different cables have you tried and is the connection loose on either end? It could be your USB port.

Do you have the latest drivers installed as well?

thanks for helping,

yes, the latest drivers are the version 167, right?

"Fractal Bot says it's finished sending and warns to wait until it's actually writen?"

exactly, on the axe display is the "transfer file data in progress" message (can't remember the exact message), just before it's done the display goes off and the unit freezes.

"How many different cables have you tried and is the connection loose on either end?"

Three different cables, but as i remember every time on the same port. what do you mean with "connection loose"?

regards
fabio

Hi
I have the AxeFX II first model.
I have done all firmware updates with no issues.
I updated to v14 in a normal way.
Connected USB cable - unplugged the MFC footcontroller.
Selected the file and saw that it transferred 100%
I saw the screen on the Axe was doing normal updating and then it went blank and all the light are on full tilt.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/buomne0az3peeh3/2014-03-31 21.26.12.jpg

I let it sit for 5 minutes and when nothing more happened I turned it off.
waited 20 seconds - and restarted - same display.
I tried reinserting power cable. Waiting 10 minutes.
Tried restarting several more times.
Tried restarting while holding the RECALL button in.
Same result.

What to do ?

Hi
I have the AxeFX II first model.
I have done all firmware updates with no issues.
I updated to v14 in a normal way.
Connected USB cable - unplugged the MFC footcontroller.
Selected the file and saw that it transferred 100%
I saw the screen on the Axe was doing normal updating and then it went blank and all the light are on full tilt.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/buomne0az3peeh3/2014-03-31 21.26.12.jpg

I let it sit for 5 minutes and when nothing more happened I turned it off.
waited 20 seconds - and restarted - same display.
I tried reinserting power cable. Waiting 10 minutes.
Tried restarting several more times.
Tried restarting while holding the RECALL button in.
Same result.

What to do ?

Contact support, sounds like you need a prom to recover

I have contacted G66 so hopefully i'll get some help .. and yes I have all the latest drivers and software installed.

Audio Interface and monitors are connected at all times so 4 output cables are hooked up.. like they have been on all previous updates.
I saw this on the release notes. Will I be able to install a new ROM myself or does the unit have to be shipped for service.

"In the rare event that the Axe-Fx will only boot to a blank screen (sometimes with one or more LEDs frozen) this
indicates that the firmware update process has failed and the unit will require a new bootable ROM. Please contact
support via the information provided below."

you can install by yourself, but everytime this will happen again, you have to unrack and open the unit...
jochen@g66 told to unplug my fireface next time

I have the same problem. I've had freeze ups when installing both FW13 and FW14 so far. I've been using the same computer since FW6 without issues until now. I have the latest driver and version of Fractal Bot. Also, I had my MIDI controller unplugged during the updates and didn't touch anything else on my computer during it. I've had to use the recovery boot ROM to boot both times.

I have the same problem. I've had freeze ups when installing both FW13 and FW14 so far. I've been using the same computer since FW6 without issues until now. I have the latest driver and version of Fractal Bot. Also, I had my MIDI controller unplugged during the updates and didn't touch anything else on my computer during it. I've had to use the recovery boot ROM to boot both times.

Did you get 14 up and running then, after using the boot ROM?

Did you get 14 up and running then, after using the boot ROM?

I turn off the gear that is connected to the midi out jack of my Axe FX, and I unplug my midi controller, so there is no chance of any stray midi pinging or polling, when doing firmware updates.

Tonight I tried using FractalBot for backup and it timed out after saving bank A. I realized the piece of gear that is after the axe, was still on. So I restarted my Axe, turned off that other gear, and the backup worked.

I just received a reply from G66. They are sending me a new PROM today with detailed installation instructions.
Excellent service from G66 as always.
Hopefully I will get it the end of the week.

I just received a reply from G66. They are sending me a new PROM today with detailed installation instructions.
Excellent service from G66 as always.
Hopefully I will get it the end of the week.

good news!
BUT what can we do in the future to avoid this?
any official advises?
thanks

Back
Top Bottom