FW 8 to 10 - A fractal journey...

hitmusic

In case it’s useful to anyone, here’s my fractal journey & lessons especially focusing on FW 8.00 to FW10.

Background:

I have been a Fractal owner for around 8 years.

I had an AF2 but am now running an AX8 which is the perfect format for my use case.

I nearly always run my own PA so I run the AX8 into my Allen & Heath QU PAC which runs to some DB Subs and Dynacord D12-3A 3 way tops. My guitar and vocal mix is then sent to two Mackie DLM8 monitors in front of me on the floor.

I gig most weeks (1-2 gigs per week, 2-3 rehearsals per week) and use the AX8 for 3 different bands. 1 traditional rock, 1 * acoustic (Country/Nashville flavor) and 1 * modern acoustic ‘with a twist’ style.

I use 4 main presets (CLEAN, CRUNCH, HEAVY, LEAD) with a number of scenes and spot effects/AMP X/Y type of things to get most of the sounds I need. This is all based on the Mesa Collection to get a consistent basis as I find these tweakable to most genres.

I also have a number (8) per preset songs that cover certain styles where the specifc amp makes a difference but I ‘nearly’ always use the same cab which is one of the TV Mixes.

My experience:

I used to update to every FW and go very deep into the settings in order to get the sounds I’m looking for but with each new FW it became more difficult to work out whether I was improving things or just making things sound different.

The issue was that I was never tweaking from a consistent platform because I rarely reset the amp block because I’d spent years crafting the advanced tweaks.

I eventually started screen grabbing all the advanced pages for every block and then after an amp block reset, I’d blindly put all those advanced parameters back and then listen to the tone and tweak form there.

So…my tone was mostly really good but not perfect and it was all my own fault because I didn’t think about what I was doing logically. I wanted to change all that so I decided to do things differently…

FW 8.00 to FW 10

Firstly, I recorded my main 4 presets and the various scenes as a benchmark. Project studio with decent Adam speakers etc.

I then updated to FW10 and immediately recorded the same riffs for those 4 presets to check for any difference.

RESULT: Yes there was a difference in tone and perceived volume (.5db overall) although I feel that may also be more of a tonal change. Immediately I preferred FW 8.00 as it was right in my comfort zone.

So…I decided to reset the amp block and instantly the majority of things sounded….worse! – now worse actually means ‘different’ or ‘not to my taste’ or ‘not what I’d spent years tweaking’.

I had a few issues to deal with where the volume had dropped drastically in a couple of presets – this seemed to be to do with the saturation setting (which was on a scene controller).

Seeing as I no longer needed that function (it was just one of those things that I didn’t use over the various FW tweaks), so I removed it.

Now…what I did was start from that position as my basis and tweaked the sounds so that they were the best version of what I wanted in my head. I did this without A/Bing against my control recording.

CONSULSION:

Overall, I was able to tweak 12 patches in around 6 hours over two days and obtain sounds far superior to that which I had before. This is mostly without additional deep tweaking which I think is a clear testament to the evolution of the product. The only tweaks I made were to the power source 50hz/60hz etc. which I find really helps with certain sounds.

Lessons:

A) Start from a clear benchmark – Open your preset, reset the blocks and re-create from that point fixing any issues as you go.

B) Don’t chase making the new FW sound the same as your old tones – Expect it to be different otherwise you just go round and round again each time and you miss out on what the FW is trying to deliver to you.

C) Embrace new tone & evolve your sound with the unit – trying to stand still with a new FW is pointless.

D) If you like your patches as they are and things are working for you then don’t update. You’re already not missing out on anything are you! – Resist the urge but if you do update, follow points A-C above.

Finally – FW10 has completed this product for me. The switching between presets, scenes and amp X/Y was very significant on FW 8.00 and it is all but eliminated on FW 10.

I gigged FW10 on Saturday – it’s the best I’ve ever had from any unit (amp of fractal). Our audience seemed to agree with a number venturing up to simply take pictures of the gear.

Great post

Your point about embracing the new firmware rather than trying to sound like the old one is simply sooo true.

Great post! I am literally in the same place,.. .I just updated/graded from like FW 8.2 (or 4?) to 10.. ..

I work on amps and have built amps in the past and build tone stacks and I'm just a "Tweaker" in general so I'm constantly messing with all of the advance features in the Amp Blocks of my presets.... and it really pays off IMO.

When I did the update I found that some of my go-to presets actually didn't sound all that different which was good for me...

One thing I found interesting was that I was able to create some great patches this weekend using amp and cab combo's that I had originally given up on... that is a cool thing for sure!

But yeah,.. I've been known to spend hours tweaking just the raw Amp/Cab sound... o_O

I've taken all the tips from the forum experts over the years and applied what I've learned in various ways.

It's great to know this deep stuff but I've effectively spent 8 years tinkering, only to get to this point today, where an amp is immediately what I'm looking for out the box.

Great post. I'm constantly twisting knobs on my amps - and feeling like I'm getting farther away from the sounds I like. Glad to know I'm not alone. I love your advice to embrace new tone and evolve your sound...

if you update and it seems you need to turn many knobs in the amp block, do the "amp reset" by choosing a different amp type/model, then back to the one you want. it will get the new default parameters (mostly advanced stuff) and it should probably sound better immediately. watch your speaker volume, as it may get louder or softer due to the defaults changing. but from there, i usually adjust the basic tone and GEQ and that's it.

i don't need to do that often, but maybe any major modeling revisions.

In case it’s useful to anyone, here’s my fractal journey & lessons especially focusing on FW 8.00 to FW10.

C) Embrace new tone & evolve your sound with the unit – trying to stand still with a new FW is pointless.

D) If you like your patches as they are and things are working for you then don’t update. You’re already not missing out on anything are you! – Resist the urge but if you do update, follow points A-C above.

Love these 2 lines and 100% agree. For D though - I would just say that if a feature has been added that really improves on something - for example - the nearly seamless gap in switching now - that a new FW provides, it's worth the update. FW10 is great, so you picked a good one to update to!

So often it seems like these forums try to relate to guitar gear as though it's audiophile grade hi-fi gear.

IMO, when it comes to guitar gear there needs to be a heavy element of plug in and turn it on. If it sounds good, it is good. There is no, "Well technically, on paper, this one is far superior to... whatever." As soon as you change venues it will all sound slightly different anyway.

I wish I had dollar for every great guitar tone that has been recorded through the years on less than the best gear (or firmware, if you wish).

Thx for opening the window and letting the breeze in. ;)

Love these 2 lines and 100% agree. For D though - I would just say that if a feature has been added that really improves on something - for example - the nearly seamless gap in switching now - that a new FW provides, it's worth the update. FW10 is great, so you picked a good one to update to!

Good point.

I should have stated that the reason I chose to upgrade this time was the reports of seamless switching (which I can confirm).

My live performance for the audience is ultimately more important than any percentile changes in tone.

Of course the sound of the new modelling technology is a massive bonus!

So often it seems like these forums try to relate to guitar gear as though it's audiophile grade hi-fi gear.

IMO, when it comes to guitar gear there needs to be a heavy element of plug in and turn it on. If it sounds good, it is good. There is no, "Well technically, on paper, this one is far superior to... whatever." As soon as you change venues it will all sound slightly different anyway.

I wish I had dollar for every great guitar tone that has been recorded through the years on less than the best gear (or firmware, if you wish).

Thx for opening the window and letting the breeze in. ;)

I'm all about learning lessons in life but it involves putting trust in the experience of others.

Hopefully this will reach some people enabling them to fast track to the end game rather than chasing rabbits.

Back
Top Bottom