FW 11. Maybe I'll wait.

This is a very clean release - if you are waiting for perfection ... we'll I guess you'll be stuck on 11b for ever more.

It's super easy to backup. Just use the Bot and set it to receive from the Axe. Then browse to a location you wish to save a backup. Then click begin and you will be given a dialog box to chose exactly what you would like to save or backup. Nearly effortless.

Got my AXE-FX right before all the AE issues so I have never really used AE. I am a full front panel guy. I have never learned exactly how to back things up properly. That makes me gun-shy about updates. I have been using BOT to audition and upload patches and do prior firmware updates but not bulk backups. I need to do some reading. Is there a concise Back-up How-to somewhere?

It's real easy. Go to the RECEIVE tab on Fractalbot and hit the RECEIVE button or whatever it's called. A pop up will let you select what you want to back up. I personally do a full backup, but select each sub component individually (i.e., Bank A, then Bank B, Bank C and then system) and let each one save to the computer individually. Takes about 5 minutes if you have no issues. I did get a few time outs on Bank C the first two tries, but it worked fine on the third.

As for AE3 it's working fantastic for me. I had it open for about 3 hours last night while I was playing and organizing some patches and it responded great and never had a problem.

Got my AXE-FX right before all the AE issues so I have never really used AE. I am a full front panel guy. I have never learned exactly how to back things up properly. That makes me gun-shy about updates. I have been using BOT to audition and upload patches and do prior firmware updates but not bulk backups. I need to do some reading. Is there a concise Back-up How-to somewhere?

It's pretty simple. Just create a folder on your PC. I named mine Axe II Backups. I then created subfolders named Banks, Presets, User Cabs, System Settings, and MFC Dumps. Click on the RECEIVE tab in the Bot and choose Axe II or MFC as the device. When you are connected you click the BROWSE button and browse to one of the 5 subfolders created above depending on what you are backing up. Click the BEGIN button and the Bot will provide you various options that are self explanatory.

Of course you may choose to create your folders differently or name them to your liking. I just chose my naming convention to make it as simple as possible for my pea brain. It makes backing up an easy process that can be done regularly.

No problems here either. Everything to this point is working well with AE3 and things are sounding great! :) Looking forward to the future release of Axe-Manage and the few other functions which are still in development. In the interim, I'm going to really be taking advantage of all these great tones and working on developing my own presets.

There seems to be a good bit of chatter about FW11/AE3 problems. I just saw this morning at work that all was released and I have been browsing around the posts. User cab issues, USB communication errors, etc. I never install betas so I have so excited for the prime time release but it seems like 11b had less issues. Should I wait? 11.1?

Every time a new FW gets released there are a bunch of these complaints, very few I have ever actually experienced. Dont wait, just follow the install instructions CAREFULLY and you'll be fine :) Have fun!

You'll always see more posts about/from people having issues while those without are busy building patches and playing. I've had zero problems to so far.. been busy playing and learning AE 3 when not working, etc.
Try it- I bet you like it.

I've installed every firmware since FW6 and never encountered a single bug (when not using the old Axe Edit). Maybe I didn't dig deep enough or I was just lucky. ;) Anyway, with FW11 the unit seems as stable as ever to me, so IMO there's no reason not to update. ;)

FW11 is awesome and solid and the best yet IMHO, no reason to delay on that.

AE3 shows great promise to be awesome, but I've found a few issues with it (one possibly my own doing). Incorrect bypass states, locking up itself and AxeFX, connection timeouts. I'm sure this will be sorted soon, but again, no reason not to try it.

The BOT takes care of all the update/backup/restore now, and is super easy to use. The AE is primarily for editing patches, and if you're a front panel guy, you don't need to touch AE if you don't want to. I do all my editing via the front panel as well, and BOT is the only software I use.

Mike

I guess that logic makes sense to a point, but come on man it's version 11.0 not version 1.0!

I've been using the Axe FX II since version 1.0. I've gone through each incremental firmware update and experienced no real issues. However, I will say... So far this (11) is definitely the best firmware release yet IMHO.

The "snap" and "glassy" tones are back in the Marshalls, it's so badass. I've waited a while for this one!

Download the fractal bot manual! I did last night and everything is pretty simple and quick. I'm a newb myself...04/15/13 and I also have been all front panel so I'm looking forward to learning what AE3 can do. After firing up the Axe today with fresh ears it seems the new firmware sprinkled pixie dust on my presets! Go for it!

I have had an issue initially with EVERY release. I don't know why but everytime I do a firmware update, I go thru a cycle that goes like this:

- Instantly sounds awesome, full of great tone, etc.
- After a few times turning AxeFX-II off/on, I get a harsher or boomy tone.
- After a time or two of turning AxeFX-II off/on, sounds awesome again and never have another problem.

Like some have mentioned, the AxeFX-II is a computer so bound to occasionally have a hiccup, etc. Mine always resolve themselves.

Two nights of playing with v11 using AxeEdit 3 and it's all working perfectly fine for me so far; v11 has a great feel and crafting tones takes seconds I'm finding...

I like the new AxeEdit a lot; it's fast and since it's a client/server thing between it and the hardware it feels like 'a system' now while working with it...I feel confident using it. I love being able to set values by the UP/DOWN keys and modifiers; I can set the keyboard right beside my picking hand and that's always been the most ergonomic (ok, laziest heh) way to tweak values for me...

I am on a Mac using Logic on 10.6.8. I don't use USB for audio transfer. I connect via spdif to my Focusrite and just work from there. It seems better for my workflow and so I haven't tried USB for a long time.

Today I ran Axe Edit 3 while recording in Logic, changed parameters using both the front panel and Axe Edit, and also sent cabs to my Axe-fx II via Fractal Bot while running Axe Edit 3.0. The only issue that I ran into was that Axe Edit wasn't tracking the user cabs that I sent to the Axe, even though they would show up correctly in the front panel. If I closed and re-opened Axe Edit, it would update the information. Other than that, it's been totally solid and legit.

This is in no way substantiated, but I would venture to guess that people who have extreme problems while running Axe Edit are also sending audio via USB. When I had troubles before when Axe Edit still worked with previous FW, I definitely found a correlation between simultaneous transfer of info over USB. Once I went Spdif, pretty much all problems stopped. YMMV, however.

Hey man, this is the place the people with problems go to complain. This is their only resource to be heard. Everyone who has a problem with the release will likely post here. If 10,000 users apply the release and 100 have problems, that is 1%, which is probably about right. And the same rules likely apply here as do the rest of the computer world, - the great majority of issues are user issues. It may not be in your case, I understand, but the stats bear this out. Dont be afraid of change, change is a good thing.

FYI - i have owned the Ultra and now the AFII and applied close to 20 updates, never a problem that wasnt easily fixed, and always my fault.

Joe

No significant problems from my end. The only thing I ran into was 3 or 4 patches had an FX Loop, which needed to be changed to something else (I changed it to a Phaser), to work with my setup. After that everything was great.

The AE3 is working great, the tones on the new patches are WONDERFUL, and I've had no hiccups at all, other than the patches mentioned above. The backup, firmware upgrades, and new patches only took a few minutes - the transfers were FAST! I'm not sure what changed, but the USB transfers were blazingly fast - it literally probably took 5-minutes or so, to do all the things mentioned above, from the initial backups, to upgrading, then adding the new patch banks. I'm blown away by the tone, the AE3 AND the lack of hiccups. It's a win-win to upgrade, as far as I'm concerned - happy I did. the new patches REALLY sound good.

Back
Top Bottom