Fuzz Face cloning

onebaldbloke said:
VegaBaby said:
BlueLotus said:
Give us the Fuzz Face, please!
Well...don't get me wrong, I don't like or use MZs, but some famous users actually include Clapton and Prince :shock:

With due respect, I don't think Clapton has pulled a good tone since his FF/TB days!
I didn't say his tone was good when he used one :lol: . Funny enough, and I think that could be related to simply not remembering due to his substance abuse, he's also stated that he never used any fuzz pedals...

onebaldbloke said:
VegaBaby said:
BlueLotus said:
Give us the Fuzz Face, please!
Well...don't get me wrong, I don't like or use MZs, but some famous users actually include Clapton and Prince :shock:

With due respect, I don't think Clapton has pulled a good tone since his FF/TB days!

I would peg it at when he went to Fenders from Gibsons, but yeah.

tonygtr said:
Nice to see that so many want a Fuzz Face too, makes me feel less bad for asking for yet another thing in the Axe :mrgreen: But I agree with many others, a Fuzz Face should really be in there.

Actually, I was surprised that it was impossible to create one on the axe-fx.

I love the hendrix sound!!!

so +1

I would hate to say anything that might discourage Cliff from improving the Hard Fuzz drive but I was AB-ing it with my Dunlop JH-1 silicone Fuzzface and it sounded very similar. I think that the AF already has a very good Fuzzface. Also, I disagree with the suggestion to set it to GE diode. The FF uses Germanium transistors, not diodes for clipping.

mtlin said:
The FF uses Germanium transistors, not diodes for clipping.

Or silicon transistors, like yours. It depends on the model.

I A/B my Axe with my BC108 silicon, and it nails the sound.

I think the Axe does a pretty good job with FF sound (at least silicon, which is the one I own).
What you can't expect is the Axe to behave the same.
The FF response to the guitar volume knob changes because it "sees" different impedance (the FF input is not buffered). Of course, that's only if the FF is right next to your guitar or at least after true-bypass pedals.
That's something *impossible* to do with the Axe, because the Axe can't see the impedance on your guitar, because of the buffering circuitry in the input of the Axe.
What I did is mimic the sound I get in guitar volume positions I like (fully open and at "5"). I program a sound that sounds the same as my FF with guitar volume fully open, then another sound that sounds the same as my FF with the guitar volume at 5. To do that, play with the low-cut in the FF settings in the Axe till you find the closest sound to the real thing.

mtlin said:
I would hate to say anything that might discourage Cliff from improving the Hard Fuzz drive but I was AB-ing it with my Dunlop JH-1 silicone Fuzzface and it sounded very similar. I think that the AF already has a very good Fuzzface. Also, I disagree with the suggestion to set it to GE diode. The FF uses Germanium transistors, not diodes for clipping.

Well the silcon is listed as a diode as well and the Bender Fuzz uses that as its clipping type.

javajunkie said:
mtlin said:

Well the silcon is listed as a diode as well and the Bender Fuzz uses that as its clipping type.

Yes, but I've got the most accurate results with the default clipping type for the hard fuzz.

I was given one by a guy who went to see a band at the Marque' in 65' it was attached to a
vox wah' by a short lead, the guitarist kicked it off stage and he caught it and bagged it. I split the ff and built it into the wah' to make a fuzz-wah' :D it sounded bloody awful :lol:
they were about £15 new then . still turn up in junk shops here .To reproduce the sound get a small practice-amp, knacker the speaker and drive it flat out full treble, or route the signal through a bee-hive :lol:

mtlin said:
javajunkie said:
mtlin said:

Well the silicon is listed as a diode as well and the Bender Fuzz uses that as its clipping type.

Yes, but I've got the most accurate results with the default clipping type for the hard fuzz.

In my experience the hard clip type hasn't really capture my classic 108 fuzz and most certainly not my germanium fuzzes. But, what ever works. It obviously has worked for you. I haven't tried it for a while.

my main point is that the bender actually uses a silicon transistor and the clip type is silicon diode. On the other hand, the hard fuzz uses the same clip type as the pi which is a silicon transistor (unless he modeled the opamp version - I doubt it). So the name it is called might not be the best way to choose clips types.

The hard fuzz doesn't approach vintage FF sounds to my ears. I tried it for a while and couldn't even really get all that close honestly. Changing the clip type got closer for certain things. At best, I got a reasonable approximation of the Si FF, but not really spot on. I've yet to hear anything that sounds and plays like a great Ge FF from the Axe-FX.

I hope that it gets added one day. It's such a fantastic pedal that's been used for so many amazing tones, and it's a shame that it isn't in the Axe-FX yet. I really don't want to spend the money on a Sunface, but if the Axe doesn't get a FF soon I may have to do it.

D

dk_ace said:
The hard fuzz doesn't approach vintage FF sounds to my ears. I tried it for a while and couldn't even really get all that close honestly. Changing the clip type got closer for certain things. At best, I got a reasonable approximation of the Si FF, but not really spot on. I've yet to hear anything that sounds and plays like a great Ge FF from the Axe-FX.

I hope that it gets added one day. It's such a fantastic pedal that's been used for so many amazing tones, and it's a shame that it isn't in the Axe-FX yet. I really don't want to spend the money on a Sunface, but if the Axe doesn't get a FF soon I may have to do it.

D
I like the Hard Fuzz. Wouldn't want to miss it to be honest. Doesn't sound like a FF, but that's what I use my real ones for. Cliff's Hard Fuzz definitely has it's own flavour and is very tweakable for a lot of cool variations on the fuzz front. Just my 3 cents ;)

To clarify, I have nothing against the Hard Fuzz model and wouldn't want it to be replaced. It does a lot of things well, but the Fuzz Face isn't one of them. I'm saying a great FF model should be added. I don't think anything needs to be replaced.

D

dk_ace said:
To clarify, I have nothing against the Hard Fuzz model and wouldn't want it to be replaced. It does a lot of things well, but the Fuzz Face isn't one of them. I'm saying a great FF model should be added. I don't think anything needs to be replaced.

D
+1 . Totally agree.

VegaBaby said:
dk_ace said:

D
+1 . Totally agree.

Me too! :)

Back
Top Bottom