Funny way to mess with the audience / amp snobs....

That's not going to work. You'll need a decent amp to fool most guitarists...

marshall-head-miked.jpg

Why does everyone pick on Marshall?????

Ok so yes, this IS REALLY my rack ... in its permanent form. The Marshall is the first piece or rack gear I ever bought nearly 30 years ago. It sounded like ass then so I have scalped it for parts and jacks and pots (some knobs are held on just by a screw sticking thru from the inside of the chassis). BUT, it makes a pretty cool single space panel rather just having a blank in there with a sticker on it, and I can mess with the hecklers in the audience by adjusting that when they say that my tone is lacking something. (its really funny when they say they can actually hear a difference when i twisted a knob on piece of gear that doesn't even have enough parts in it to even turn on if my life depended on it) ... and when I am in total ass mode, I have told people that the axe Fx is brand new and I'm not using it yet, still using the marshall, thats why the axe fx is in the bottom .. BAAAHAHAHAHAH ... i have not had ONE rack in the past OVER 20 years that this marshall has not been a part of.

To the people "in the know", it is lovingly called the Marshall Tone-Meister 9000

Why does everyone pick on Marshall?????
The Marshall is the first piece or rack gear I ever bought nearly 30 years ago. It sounded like ass then so I have scalped it for parts and jacks and pots (some knobs are held on just by a screw sticking thru from the inside of the chassis). BUT, it makes a pretty cool single space panel rather just having a blank in there with a sticker on it, and I can mess with the hecklers in the audience by adjusting that when they say that my tone is lacking something.

So you'd rather pin heat in above your power amp with a non-functional piece that does nothing other than serve as a joke rather than a lighter vented spacer that might increase the longevity of your gear? :confused: TBH, I prefer the look of at least one vented panel to more knobs and crap. Racks are ugly enough to those who like clean industrial design without adding more visual clutter. :p It would at least make a tiny bit of sense if it were a backup unit that would work in a pinch.

So you'd rather pin heat in above your power amp with a non-functional piece that does nothing other than serve as a joke rather than a lighter vented spacer that might increase the longevity of your gear? :confused: TBH, I prefer the look of at least one vented panel to more knobs and crap. Racks are ugly enough to those who like clean industrial design without adding more visual clutter. :p It would at least make a tiny bit of sense if it were a backup unit that would work in a pinch.

In all actuality, the marshall series 9000's were only less than 4 inches thick . so even the ISP sticks out further than the marshall does into the rear space, and the new SKB's have a generous gap to promote airflow around, that being said, it doesn't even get but maybe 2-3 degrees warmer in back in compare to the ambient temperature, and is still NOTICEABLY cooler than it was when my Axe Fx was in a hardshell rack bag ... :eek: lol ....

I do appreciate your concerns tho, but yes, I did take all that into consideration before doing this. I actually went with the 4 space case JUST so there was more breathing room in the back, When i could have crammed it all in a 3! :D:cool:

Plus, even though that (the Marshall Series 9000) was one of the biggest turd flop pre-amps to ever hit the market EVER, the fact that I have actually not lost it in nearly 30 years, and it being the first piece of rack equipment I ever owned, there is a bit of sentiment that goes along hand with it :confused:

Plus, even though that (the Marshall Series 9000) was one of the biggest turd flop pre-amps to ever hit the market EVER, the fact that I have actually not lost it in nearly 30 years, and it being the first piece of rack equipment I ever owned, there is a bit of sentiment that goes along hand with it :confused:

Back when that 9000 first came out, I wanted one of those things so bad I could damn near taste it. Hadn't even ever heard one, but was just convinced it was perfect. A Marshall in a 1U rack space. What could possibly be wrong with that?

Well, a lot, actually :confused:

Some punters are mega-gullible.

Many years back we had a residency gig in a bar/club and although the doors to this upstairs gig room were not officially open until 9pm, if people had had a meal in the downstairs restaurant they got complimentary tickets to go upstairs - so sometimes you'd get the eager beavers who'd eat early and then get admitted upstairs before the doors officially opened so they could get the good seats.

One such group of lads and ladies were present one night right at the front and centre of the stage as we were still setting up and the lads were bantering away with us (being pains in arse) more to impress their girls than anything else.

Our drummer's set up routine was he'd get the kit assembled with toms. kick and hi-hats set up first and just have the empty stands set up for his precious wood snare and (don't effin' touch my) cymbals which would be the last things uncased and put in place. He would sit behind the part assembled kit and just play with imaginary sticks to make sure things were in the right position for him. This caused great merriment with these (now pretty well oiled) punters who started shouting things like 'Mate - I think you forgot something' and other such wit and repartee.

The keyboard player was already set up and he and our singer were over by his keyboards chatting - so the singer tipped our drummer a wink and shouted to the punters that the kit just hadn't been turned on yet and it used 'electronic air' cymbals and 'proximity' drums. The keyboardist then loaded a kit on his keys and started sync'ing along with the drummer's 'empty' hands.

The look of wonderment on the punters' faces was classic ...... the singer wound them up perfectly and had them all agreeing that it was fantastic cutting edge technology just before the drummer stood up and went to get his snare and cymbals ..... and the drums kept playing .... big red faces in the front row :)

Innocent fun in a grim and troubled Belfast as it was way back then
Some punters are mega-gullible.

Many years back we had a residency gig in a bar/club and although the doors to this upstairs gig room were not officially open until 9pm, if people had had a meal in the downstairs restaurant they got complimentary tickets to go upstairs - so sometimes you'd get the eager beavers who'd eat early and then get admitted upstairs before the doors officially opened so they could get the good seats.

One such group of lads and ladies were present one night right at the front and centre of the stage as we were still setting up and the lads were bantering away with us (being pains in arse) more to impress their girls than anything else.

Our drummer's set up routine was he'd get the kit assembled with toms. kick and hi-hats set up first and just have the empty stands set up for his precious wood snare and (don't effin' touch my) cymbals which would be the last things uncased and put in place. He would sit behind the part assembled kit and just play with imaginary sticks to make sure things were in the right position for him. This caused great merriment with these (now pretty well oiled) punters who started shouting things like 'Mate - I think you forgot something' and other such wit and repartee.

The keyboard player was already set up and he and our singer were over by his keyboards chatting - so the singer tipped our drummer a wink and shouted to the punters that the kit just hadn't been turned on yet and it used 'electronic air' cymbals and 'proximity' drums. The keyboardist then loaded a kit on his keys and started sync'ing along with the drummer's 'empty' hands.

The look of wonderment on the punters' faces was classic ...... the singer wound them up perfectly and had them all agreeing that it was fantastic cutting edge technology just before the drummer stood up and went to get his snare and cymbals ..... and the drums kept playing .... big red faces in the front row :)

Innocent fun in a grim and troubled Belfast as it was way back then

Like these? ;)

Back when that 9000 first came out, I wanted one of those things so bad I could damn near taste it. Hadn't even ever heard one, but was just convinced it was perfect. A Marshall in a 1U rack space. What could possibly be wrong with that?

Well, a lot, actually :confused:

OH, I ASSURE you, That purchase was love at first sight ... i didn't even take an opportunity to listen to it, i KNEW this was the end of a 19 year old kids tone quest. I think I gave $80 for it used in 1990 (yeah, i should have known something was up for it to still be brand new, yet already used and traded in)

What kills me, is writing this right now to see what years they were made, i ran across a couple of them with asking prices north of $200
HAHAHAHA

Kevin

OH, I ASSURE you, That purchase was love at first sight ... i didn't even take an opportunity to listen to it, i KNEW this was the end of a 19 year old kids tone quest. I think I gave $80 for it used in 1990 (yeah, i should have known something was up for it to still be brand new, yet already used and traded in)

What kills me, is writing this right now to see what years they were made, i ran across a couple of them with asking prices north of $200
HAHAHAHA

Kevin

There's a couple of them on a Dutch auction site for €100 each, and there's a local 2nd hand music gear store that had one a couple of months ago, so apparently someone bought it.

Back
Top Bottom