Wish Function to Load the Bank of the Currently Active Preset

steadystate

Fractal Fanatic
I mentioned this in the FM9 main discussion section. Since it got some positive feedback, I'll post it here.

I asked if the FM9 had a footswitch function that loads the bank containing the currently active preset (with the usual ability to piggyback the loading of a preset layout). It currently does not. IMO, this would be an extremely useful function to get the player's bearings back when he/she gets lost in a complex maze of sophisticated layouts (with an imminent solo careening toward them at high speed) and the next preset is within the same bank as the current preset. The same benefit would apply to scenes.

Maybe it's just me, but I have accidentally punched the wrong switches and called up the wrong banks (etc.) on every foot controller I've used since the 90s. With the FC-style sophistication exacerbating the potential to stray off the path, a function to get back to the preset's home base would be a welcome friend.

If implemented, this function would certainly be a hold function on each and every one of my layouts.

+1
I share with you the possiblity to improve help to the musician involved in the performance.

Also bank / setlists / preset changes feedback should be much much more visible in the big display (temporarily) to help driving the musician in being more sure of what is doing and "where" he is.

@iaresee,
Thanks. This was something I'd worked with for quite a while and thought was common knowledge, otherwise I'd have shared sooner... :)

My apologies. All I discovered was a way to find your way HOME in case one strays off the path while footswitching (It's pretty easy to find yourself backpedalling through prompts once you've strayed.). My discovery also helps define what will and won't work with HOME / HOLD. Be sure to review the post below for a clearer understanding.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/jump-to-bank-of-currently-active-preset.205164/post-2559169

I don't know of a way to produce the results you've asked for (especially the way to display the bank number in either order or groups of order).

TBH, it might be easier to try 1-10 / 11-20 / 21-30 / 31-40 / 41-50, etc...Enumerating the banks in order might work, though I'm not familiar with how banks or groups of banks could be displayed within the scribble scripts.

My apologies. All I discovered was a way to find your way HOME in case one strays off the path while footswitching (It's pretty easy to find yourself backpedalling through prompts once you've strayed.). My discovery also helps define what will and won't work with HOME / HOLD. Be sure to review the post below for a clearer understanding.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/jump-to-bank-of-currently-active-preset.205164/post-2559169

I don't know of a way to produce the results you've asked for (especially the way to display the bank number in either order or groups of order).

TBH, it might be easier to try 1-10 / 11-20 / 21-30 / 31-40 / 41-50, etc...Enumerating the banks in order might work, though I'm not familiar with how banks or groups of banks could be displayed within the scribble scripts.
OMG, no need to apologize. I totally appreciate your help trying to answer my questions. Thanks to you and everyone else.

I mentioned this in the FM9 main discussion section. Since it got some positive feedback, I'll post it here.

I asked if the FM9 had a footswitch function that loads the bank containing the currently active preset (with the usual ability to piggyback the loading of a preset layout). It currently does not. IMO, this would be an extremely useful function to get the player's bearings back when he/she gets lost in a complex maze of sophisticated layouts (with an imminent solo careening toward them at high speed) and the next preset is within the same bank as the current preset. The same benefit would apply to scenes.

Maybe it's just me, but I have accidentally punched the wrong switches and called up the wrong banks (etc.) on every foot controller I've used since the 90s. With the FC-style sophistication exacerbating the potential to stray off the path, a function to get back to the preset's home base would be a welcome friend.

If implemented, this function would certainly be a hold function on each and every one of my layouts.
Yes, it is necessary to designate one footswitch in most all layouts [except for EFFECTS/MORE EFFECTS, which can switch to layout 2 (SCENES)] as a safety protocol if one ever begins to dive too deep into your FM9's footswitch menu which isn't configured correctly.

Your last sentence describes this correctly. The safety protocol merely is designed to pull up layout 1/view 1 (HOME) or USER PRESET #385 (the first preset in user bank 1). Layout 1 can be either the current bank in use, or as a directive which will display layout 1/user bank 1 once the HOLD feature in HOME is selected.

It's just a way of finding your way home again to bank 1 / user preset #385, my user preset starting point quickly, instead of soft-shoeing a bunch on stage (although entertaining to watch, can be frustrating for the guitarist...) ;) .

At least with the HOME / HOLD feature, I feel better prepared...LOL...

I received my FM9 and have been experimenting with various layout possibilities. I find myself wanting a "recall the bank of the currently active preset" function more than ever. Navigating around banks is the FM9's Achilles' heel for me.

I think the solution is to build a separate device exclusively to switch presets on the FM9. I've started writing the code for a Raspberry Pi Pico.
The numerical switches select the left digit on tap and the right digit on hold. An LCD display shows which digits have been selected in a FIFO arrangement. When the display shows the desired three digit number, I tap the Go switch and send the FM9 the appropriate MIDI commands to recall that preset (and the containing bank).

Attachments

• Switches.JPG
    Switches.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom