Frustrated to the point of putting it all for sale

To the OP:

I've played a high energy Praise and Worship service for 9 years now. My advice to you would be...

1. Reset the AxeFX II to make sure it's factory fresh and so that nothing you may have done so far is still in there to surprise you.
2. Find 3 presets you like of the "Clean", "Crunch", and "Overdrive" variety.
3. Set up your MFC to select between the three presets.
4. Add one expression pedal that controls the overall volume of the unit.

Stop at that point, and do nothing else. Take that rig and try it for a few weeks. Then start to add more stuff (other effects, etc.) a little at a time. This will make sure you have good basic tones and good basic control to work with.

You cannot build a house on shifting sands.

Peace,
maybe this piece of gear isn't for the total novice.

also i think someone recommended using axe edit solely to edit your patches? i absolutely disagree with that since you will be using the axe live (soon!). if you only know how to use axe edit, when you're on stage without a computer, you won't be able to solve problems that WILL come up. always make sure you know how to do things on the front panel!
I totally disagree with this statement. Technology, for guitar players especially, should be taught in a way that communicates clearly. OK, well maybe it shouldn't be for the COMPLETE novice, but neither should a Marshall stack and pedal board. The complete novice should stick with the guitar alone until he's got that together enough to split his attention without too much liability. But no, manufacturers should write manuals, quick start guides and instructional videos that layout and communicate clearly to the experienced and to the novice. Yamaha was TERRIBLE at writing manuals. They gave many people headaches. I never made it through their TX-802 manual. Something as complex as the Axe needs steps and guidance, provided by this forum for the most part. No one should feel excluded because they're slow to adapting to a technology, unless that technology is for designers. This technology is designed for USERS and users come in various stripes and types and levels. And just because you know one bit of technology doesn't mean you know another. Each company writes their own way, which makes learning a bit of a challenge.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsl
That may have been the greatest display of integrity on the Internet ever.

That was honest and humble. You get huge points for that.

My general recommendation is to always start simple. Ignore the options, because the options can overwhelm you.

I tend to treat the Axe-Fx like a real rig when I'm feeling overwhelmed. I have 3 go-to cab recipes. I use one of those. And I pick an amp. And that's it. I play that for a bit, understand it, and then start adding and changing things. It really simplifies things in my head if I'm not changing amps and cabs at the same time. That's why I stick to those three recipes, which BTW, are all based on Mr. Peterson's excellent NF/FF mix approach. Scott has even done a video on this approach. See:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ilding-amp-cab-preset-axe-fx-ii-tweaking.html

Aptly named, eh?

Hey JC, as i mentioned before, I'm in Opelika a few hours away from you. I won't be up there for awhile now but I'll be back home Sunday and Monday daytime just packing and getting ready for the next leg of my tour. If you want to take the drive down. I have time Sunday afternoon and early Monday. Not sure I can answer all of your questions but I'd be willing to try if you can deal with me getting ready and packing while working with you. Just let me know.i have a show in Mobile AL saturday night I may not get back to Opelika until miday Sunday. Let me know if you want to come down.
Also I agree, you should start with a simple rig set up first especially if that's what your used to with your amp/pedal rig. Why try to jump into an edge like rig right away if that's not what your used to? I've used huge pedalboard rigs and big rack rigs over the years but I've spent months /years with each type of effect that use. So combining them was a natural progression not just "it's there so I might as well stickit in the set up and use it" it takes time and trial and error to figure out where you like things to go why the should go a certain way and what the rules are so you can break the rules. What effect combinations work for you. But alli of that can be a nasty distraction if you can dial up basic core sounds that your happy with. Start there first. Good luck and we are here for you if you really want help and are willing to work with patience and humility. If not, that's cool too. You can sellit easily and go back to your old setup. No harm no foul. :0)

I would take advantage of this offer. Not really going to get a much better one unless you are Eric Clapton or someone similar incognito. :)

I can't state enough how much it helped me to download guys presets and mess with it. Play with it.... Add and take away stuff. It'll help you out bigtime.

Hey JC, as i mentioned before, I'm in Opelika a few hours away from you. I won't be up there for awhile now but I'll be back home Sunday and Monday daytime just packing and getting ready for the next leg of my tour. If you want to take the drive down. I have time Sunday afternoon and early Monday. Not sure I can answer all of your questions but I'd be willing to try if you can deal with me getting ready and packing while working with you. Just let me know.i have a show in Mobile AL saturday night I may not get back to Opelika until miday Sunday. Let me know if you want to come down.
Also I agree, you should start with a simple rig set up first especially if that's what your used to with your amp/pedal rig. Why try to jump into an edge like rig right away if that's not what your used to? I've used huge pedalboard rigs and big rack rigs over the years but I've spent months /years with each type of effect that use. So combining them was a natural progression not just "it's there so I might as well stickit in the set up and use it" it takes time and trial and error to figure out where you like things to go why the should go a certain way and what the rules are so you can break the rules. What effect combinations work for you. But alli of that can be a nasty distraction if you can dial up basic core sounds that your happy with. Start there first. Good luck and we are here for you if you really want help and are willing to work with patience and humility. If not, that's cool too. You can sellit easily and go back to your old setup. No harm no foul. :0)

OP!!! Are you kidding me... I would fly out of Hong Kong to meet this guy and learn about all his experience about AXE etc etc. What a kick and what an experience... stop whining and get your stuff together!!

I've been trying to program pedals to controls various parameters. In other words, my playing style is Vince Gill but I'm trying to create The Edge's pedalboard. (to put into terms a guitarist can relate to).

^ If i'm reading this properly, your issues are setting up a pedalboard with the Axe. Not with setting up basic patches and getting a good usable tone for your purposes? Can you please point out for all of us specifically what your issues are with the Axe FX and how you want to use it? That way we can pinpoint your issues and not just give you general advice.

But please answer this for me... Are you happy with what you can get from the Axe sonically and feel wise, say compared to your tube rig?

I've been surprised before at how helpful some people can be on this forum, but that offer from Larry! Amazing really that such an obviously talented guy would take time out to help like that. Hard to see how anyone could turn that down.

Wow - what an awesome thread - One single rude comment on the whole thread, a bit of good ole "tough love", and a bunch of straight shooting advice. You have a great support group here that you will not find anywhere else period. If you aren't driving to see Larry M, you probably are not sold out to success with the AXE-FX - DO IT!!....... With all of this genuine support, knowing this many people have your back, you should be feeling pretty good about this whole thing huh?

I read this post before work today and just caught up with it again now. Great advice from all. You have to take your time and start simply when you have the time and are not under pressure.

If people read the manual like a novel most will not remember it or be able to apply it. So don't read the manual, but before I get shot down in flames, read what you need to know specifically, read it again, apply it and repeat until you know it. Then move on to the next thing you need to know.

Larry Mitchell, kudos for your offer to the OP that is awesome.

Insane if you don't take up Larry's offer ... but failing that how about just posting where you live and see if a Axe 2 users gathering couldn't be arranged nearby? Get some beer and make a day/night of it and pick peoples brains/get shown the good stuff one on one!

Lots of good advice here.
Honestly, though, most anyone can find several very usable presets without any tweaking amongst the first 50 on the unit.

Doing some really good basic set up videos would be great for people just starting to use something like the Axe. When I first got it I was a little lost. Some people like me would do better with some videos than reading something that you don't quite understand . At first I didn't know what FRFR meant. Thats how much of a novice I am. Plus I had trouble with Ace Edit and Ver. 6 which crashed my system and had to get a replacement. Now I'm scared to death to use Axe edit and I'm learning how to do everything from the main unit. It still is the most awesome piece of equipment I have ever owned.

But no, manufacturers should write manuals, quick start guides and instructional videos that layout and communicate clearly to the experienced and to the novice.
I understand where you are coming from, but my opinion stems from a larger concept I've been studying and that is making everything a commodity these days and customer entitlement.

Advancements in technology and computers have driven down the price of electronics so much that amazing "professional" gear is available to the masses. As more people get into music, the manufacturers find ways to lower their prices for both beating their competition and to sell more units. So the other companies do the same. Lower prices make the market grow and lots of times force poorly made products just to seize the sales opportunity.

This tends to dilute the market and makes customers feel "entitled" to things just because they have the money to buy it. "i bought a guitar, i am now a guitarist." (i think it's GREAT though that so many people have the opportunity to experience music, instruments, recording, etc because of lower prices, but i just wish the entitlement thing didn't come along with it.)

When I was the GM of a music store here I was in charge of purchasing. I worked with many of the top brands in MI and one of the questions I always posed to my staff was "What's the lowest price (keyboard, guitar, bass, etc) we should carry?" If we had a $59 guitar, sure we would sell many many guitars, but for one, I didn't like the quality of those units and I didn't want to equate our store with "cheapest dang thing they make." But more importantly, I felt that offering a guitar for so cheap diluted the market and industry and reduced the value of anything else more expensive. People will start thinking "why should I buy anything more expensive, everything should be cheap like this." You might think that someone could hear the difference between a $59 guitar and a $500 guitar, but many times the consumer is thinking about $$$ that they don't WANT to hear the difference.

Now there are digital effects units for $99, but the average consumer buys something between $300 and $600. Let's say they used that for a bit, but decided to take the jump to something super pro, mostly because it's ~$2000.

So someone buys the axe-fx and might think "man this thing is hard to use but it shouldn't be. i shouldn't have to learn anything new because i spent the money to buy it. i did my part. i gave the manufacturer my money. now they need to teach me how to use it." to me, that's total BS, and i know people feel that way, even if they don't realize it.

because i spent the money.... this should be easy to use. so if you had the money to buy a rocket ship, should it be easy to use just because you bought it? people buy a car today and expect to know how to drive just because they bought a car. they are entitled to be on the road and be a bad driver simply because they bought a car.

but you might say, if the manufacturer had clearer manuals and videos and catered to the novice, they would sell more units and make more money. maybe so maybe not, but that might not be the goal of the manufacturer.

back in the day, the only type of cell phone was the type you make calls with... only. no games, sometimes no lcd display at all. you just dial the number, hit call and talk. now there are iphones and touchscreens and this and that. because the iphone is so affordable, many people who have absolutely NO computer experience buy one and then get angry because it's "hard to use." people try to build websites today because they feel entitled to having a website and get so angry because they don't know anything about code. people buy a computer these days for under $500 and get angry because the mouse is so hard to use. but i spent my MONEY on it. i should know how to use it or it should be easier or it should read my mind!!!

and they usually blame the manufacturer for making it so difficult instead of taking the responsibility to actually learn what their doing.

everyone see Wall-E where in the future everyone is just lying down on that hover bed thing looking at a screen and machines do everything for us except swallow? that's where we are headed if people don't buckle down and take responsibility for their actions and learn and think and grow and contribute.

all that from "better manuals should be written"? yes.

At first I didn't know what FRFR meant. Thats how much of a novice I am.
to me, not knowing what FRFR means doesn't equate to being a novice. FRFR is a term that is thrown around this forum, not necessarily an industry standard term. but not knowing its definition, you probably searched the forum or the internet to figure it out, rather than complaining that "FRFR" wasn't defined in the axe fx manual, right? :)

I live and breath by Yek's Wiki contributions. I suggest anybody starting off goes directly to that first.

I also grab Scott Peterson's tweaked presets, his tastes are very similar to mine. He also has some videos for setting up presets.

and they usually blame the manufacturer for making it so difficult instead of taking the responsibility to actually learn what their doing.
Yes, that's true and your larger post as well. I don't disagree. BUT I don't know a company who builds a product purposefully to confuse the user. That's not the purpose for writing confusing manuals and unclear directions and instructions. NO one, that I know of wants to do that. But they sometimes have to take several steps back and learn from what causes confusion. THAT'S what I'm saying. Yes, there is a sense of entitlement from the buyer. It's the same entitlement that says I don't ever have a to pay for music because I can get it free on the internet. But making a product has the teaching-how-to-use-it side. Apple has this down. They make products so seemingly simple they don't need instructions. No one WANTS to bury their heads in manuals in order to learn something. You want the end result. You want to use it, not study it.

What I DO expect, when I spend a lot of money on a product, is support. I just do. I've bought a TON of tech gear the last 15 years for the studio. I've almost always gotten good support. When I don't I throw the company away. They just don't last in my studio. Support is online mostly. Great user manuals, phone support. And as a beta tester I've had my say in assisting the development of clear and concise user manuals, or feedback for another company. The forum and user support is good here. I haven't had to resort to service or official support. The Axe seems to be fairly well written for me. But I can see where it can cause confusion on the deep end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom