Frustation! First bad "gig" with the Axe....ever.

Hmm, works at home but not at church? Have you been to confession lately? Sounds like SOMEONE may be sending you a message...

I always keep a pair of virgin cables in my bag for such reasons, they are hidden in a box so they dont get mashed or damaged. That way if i need to make sure i have a 100% good cable in a pinch they are there. I Also keep a cable tester that does integrity verification. I use a older computer network cable tester and a bnc to 1/4" adapter for it. but its saved my ass more than once in a pinch.

For some reason when I turn on my XL it sounds bad. I always thought it was the Digitech Drop I had hooked up glitching. I'd shut of the conditioner and turn it on again and it would be fine. Then when I ran straight to the XL, I'd hear it again. I realized for some reason the Wah in the patch, even factory ones would be on. Doesn't happen all the time.

I experienced this exact problem about a month ago at a gig. There was a nasty fizz on my higher gain tones that sounded like clipping, and I had never experienced it before then (or since then). I remember asking the soundman if I was clipping, but he said I wasn't.

In the end, I had to just put up with it for the gig, and luckily it wasn't super noticeable in the mix. I suspected that the culprit could've been the house-provided Yamaha monitor. It almost sounded like a blown tweeter.

Is it at all possible the output you used (to go to the church system) is now not echoing the correct output stream? Check how that output is configured - Very easy to change this without confirmation.

Pauly

I haven't had a chance to double check here at home yet. As soon as I got the wife had a list and to Home Depot we went, lol. JUST got out of the shower 8 hours later.

The only cable that carries audio on my end was my guitar cable, so barring that it could have either been the xlr they provided or the patch bay connection. Ill check back when I can run things on my end.

Sorry to ask this but:
What if the global cab-simulation was bypassed.
Or if the wrong output was used (output 2 instead of output 1) and the cab block only goes to output 1.

I had the exact same thing and the DI lines were connected to the insert of the mixer instead of line in. :)

I still got sound but was funky / distorted band-limited tone on everything.

Two of us checked at the mixer connections too and could not see it.

Reactions: BMH
I haven't had a chance to double check here at home yet. As soon as I got the wife had a list and to Home Depot we went, lol. JUST got out of the shower 8 hours later.

J - I had something similar occur last week, not @ church but at home with my studio monitors. I am on FW 18.07, every patch I created or referenced back to sounded washed out with an abundant amount of fizz. When I made new presets even, it sounded off. I turned the AFX off and walked away that night. Last night I booted it back up and everything was fine again, but I have experienced what you are saying. Almost like all the amps and presets are overloaded with a higher amount of fizz. I can attest that it's not the cables because all of my cables are brand new. Odd stuff for sure...

And sorry, couldn't help it... You mentioned Home Depot w/ the wife ;)
17072878.jpg

I have those kind of weird things happen too. You never know what your hooking into a typical church setup. Most of the time, it is pretty cheap gear of questionable quality pushed past the breaking point. It could be a bad cable, interference, or just equipment going bad. Unfortunately, you usually don't have much time to troubleshoot anything before the service. That's why I wind up carrying spares of every cable I can think of, an isolation transformer, and a high quality DI box in addition to a spare guitar and Axe-FX.

If it's possible take your rig back to your Church and see if the powers that be will let you plug in the PA with the same cabling and try to reproduce your problem. Troubleshoot at the place of your problem not at home as that is not where you had the issue.

well i know we have quality gear and quality people running it...one thing of note, though, is we are in a temporary spot so EVERYTHING gets torn down and set up day of service...and I'm not talking about a small pa and some speakers! Here are a few shots from yesterday:

View attachment 26420 View attachment 26421 View attachment 26422 View attachment 26423

so an entire church gets set up and town down and loaded back into trailers service day. 3 services of around 1k per. large band, full iem system, nice pa, full lighting, video streaming, video a/v set up. no doubt that something in that set up/tear down could get janky.

I had a similar experience two weeks ago on a gig. Turned out to be low voltage on the circuit. My sound was ratty in general and when the band got loud enough during certain passages my amp completely cut out. I finally noticed on my power conditioner that the voltage was reading 103. Anyway it was my amp not the Axe (I assume, I don't know what low power would do to the AxeFx), but the cause was bad power and there was only one circuit available. Probably not what you had happening at your facility, unless you were plugged into the dimmer packs. I've seen dimmer packs connected to regular power outlets and not labeled. Kinda scary.

so an entire church gets set up and town down and loaded back into trailers service day. 3 services of around 1k per. large band, full iem system, nice pa, full lighting, video streaming, video a/v set up. no doubt that something in that set up/tear down could get janky.

Nice J! Looks similar to our church setup with more seating. I was on bass this past weekend (yes the goofy guy in the back nodding) and here was one of the songs we did:

[video=vimeo;129392916]https://vimeo.com/129392916[/video]

I had the exact same thing and the DI lines were connected to the insert of the mixer instead of line in. :)

I still got sound but was funky / distorted band-limited tone on everything.

Two of us checked at the mixer connections too and could not see it.

Same happened to me .... frustrating at the time ...

Could the room itself be introducing a weird EQ thing you don't like? Resonances at high frequencies? Did they remove or open curtains or tapestries and expose bare walls or windows?

well i know we have quality gear and quality people running it...one thing of note, though, is we are in a temporary spot so EVERYTHING gets torn down and set up day of service...and I'm not talking about a small pa and some speakers! Here are a few shots from yesterday:

That's a lot of moving parts. It would be really hard to figure the culprit exactly if it is not in your rig given that the "crime" scene essentially vanishes. In the past, I have pulled out a camera after the show's over and taken pictures of the set up and connections just so I can have visual record. You might find something nutty afterwards, but you might not.

Back
Top Bottom