From 9.02 to 14.02 to 13.07 to 14.02 again..

Jason W.

Inspired
I started with 9.02 then finally updated to 14.02. Now on this very 1st update, the global noisegate offset was set to -40.00 db, and I'd read to set it to 0.00 db. Instead, I decided to check out 13.07 after reading someone's post about how they liked it over 14.02. So I checked it out, and just decided to go back to 14.02.

This is the thing.. The first time I downloaded 14.02, the noisegate offset was at -40.00 db, but now it always defaults to 0.00 regardless of how many times I re-run the update? I know that it's supposed to be at 0.00, but why does it not need switching anymore? Also, 14.02 is still showing the dynamics control page in the amp block, I thought this was removed according to the release notes?

I can't answer your first question but I noticed that too as I had to install v14 a couple of times before it sounded right. Only the actual dynamics control parameter was removed, not all of the controls on the dynamics page.

Mine was set to 0db when I went to 14.00. I havent went to 14.02 yet.

I thought it was really weird since I havent seen anyone else say this.....

Added Global Noisegate Offset parameter. This parameter allows offsetting the Noisegate threshold for all presets. This can be used to increase or decrease the threshold to compensate for varying interference levels.

Note that if the Threshold parameter in the preset is set to “Off” the Global Offset will have no effect.

NOTE: This parameter will default to -40 dB after installation of the firmware.
Be sure to set to the desired value.
The default value is 0 dB and is set to that upon System Reset.

@ Mark's Tone, in the release notes it says "The default value is 0 dB and is set to that upon System Reset."

What does that mean exactly, system reset? Factory reset? Turning the unit off then on again? What's weird is that I never dialed back the noisegate offset from -40.00 to 0.00, not even the first time. I wonder, if someone were just to update to 14.02, AND DID NOT adjust the noisegate offset, AND THEN re-installed the firmware again, if it would just default to 0.00?

Last edited:
@ Mark's Tone, in the release notes it says "The default value is 0 dB and is set to that upon System Reset."

What does that mean exactly, system reset? Factory reset? Turning the unit off then on again? What's weird is that I never dialed back the noisegate offset from -40.00 to 0.00, not even the first time. I wonder, if someone were just to update to 14.02, AND DID NOT adjust the noisegate offset, AND THEN re-installed the firmware again, if it would just default to 0.00?

System reset is in one of the menus. I cant remember which one. Same one with the LCD contrast. I always update->system reset->update all presets everytime I update.

The Noisegate Offset is saved in non-volatile memory. If you go back to a previous firmware and then back to 14.02 that value is still in memory and will be restored to whatever it was last set to. IOW, don't worry about it.

System Reset is in the Utility menu. It's called Reset System Parameters. This resets all the various non-volatile parameters to factory defaults. This includes things like tuner offset, CC# assignments, I/O settings, etc. It will reset Noisegate Offset to 0.0 as that is the factory default value.

Ahhh, now I get it. I was just updating the presets, I will start doing the reset system parameters as well after updating. Thanks

Ahhh, now I get it. I was just updating the presets, I will start doing the system reset as well. Thanks

You don't need to do a system reset. This is only necessary if you want the various parameters to be reset to factory defaults.

And I wouldn't be so cavalier about updating the firmware. Just leave it at 14.02 and enjoy. Every time you update you run the risk or rendering the unit inoperable.

Whoa, I didn't know that! I've read about others re-installing the same firmware a few times, because they think is doesn't sound right the 1st or 2nd time. I'll keep it where it is. Thanks! And about the dynamics page in the amp block, am I supposed to still see that on the screen even though it's been removed?

i think he just means updating firmware unnecessarily just increases the probability of something possibly going wrong. though... i wish that wasn't the case.

can you show a picture of the Dynamics thing you're talking about? the release notes mention the Dynamics parameter was removed. what are you referring to?

When I go to layout and select an amp block, it will show the following tabs.. pwr, spkr, eq, dyn, etc.. If dynamics was removed from the amp block, wouldn't the "dyn" tab and all parameters be gone? Or just their functionality?

Attachments

• axe fx 2 fw 14.02 20140424_222247.jpg
    axe fx 2 fw 14.02 20140424_222247.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Image of screen.

Attachments

• axe fx 2 fw 14.02 20140424_222247.jpg
    axe fx 2 fw 14.02 20140424_222247.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20140424_223516.jpg
    IMG_20140424_223516.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Yep man, perhaps you have to Re-select the Amp in the Amp block(choose a other amp then back) in some case it will let the new amp parameters start working well if you loaded a old preset to your the Axe-Fx II.

How does the new firmware sound and feel to you after the update to 14 with this lot improvements?!! :)

Back
Top Bottom