Friendly Suggestion For FW Updates From a Nerd

ps43203

Experienced
Hey Ultraxeheads,

I have been repairing computers and playing guitar for 35+ years. So I 'm not just shooting my mouth off.8)
Anyway, The axe needs to be looked at like a pc running windows.
Each Time there is an update there are ALWAYS going to be people that have issues, for whatever reason, due to the depth
of the OS, or Firmware in this case.

My suggestions are very simple.
1. ALWAYS back up your system/presets first and foremost.
2. ALWAYS do a clean, factory fresh, install of whatever firmware. Clean no presets, clean slate so to speak.
3. When you download the new firmware, download it again, just to be sure that the firmware file is not corrupt. It Happens.
4. Always treat each new firmware like a fresh brand new axe-fx, and then slowly integrate your presets. If they jive great, IF not, make new ones.

Everyone must take into consideration that Cliff and co. automatically do these steps and do not think anything of it. Unlike the guys
that tweak for days on end and have set full of presets, then do an update then it's like, "what happened". It is a computer after all.
At the the cost of progress, there is always a catch, It is coding. If your digging your machine they way it is don't update!
If it aint broke don't fix it, ya know? Case in point, I am still running Windows 7, because 8 sucks and 7 is not broke. :)

I just wanted to post this to hopefully save a few dudes some heart ache. I have been there believe me, funny thing is
I don't even own a Axe-fx YET! Just trying to help. Keep on rocking! :pride:

Last edited:
How does one do point #2 (ALWAYS do a clean, factory fresh, install of whatever firmware, does not matter, I know it is not necessary, but DO IT anyway. you will thank me later.) ?

I'm only aware of one method of firmware installation.

How does one do point #2 (ALWAYS do a clean, factory fresh, install of whatever firmware, does not matter, I know it is not necessary, but DO IT anyway. you will thank me later.) ?

I'm only aware of one method of firmware installation.

What I mean here is make sure EVERYTHING is all set to factory defaults, before installing the Firmware.
As if it were brand new from the factory, Clean. Make Sense? After you back everything up, of course.
There is a clean system file that you use to clean the file system. This is what I would do before updating,
Admins correct me If I am wrong in my thinking. Here is the wiki entry http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II:_resetting.

Last edited:
What I mean here is make sure EVERYTHING is all set to factory defaults, before installing the Firmware.
As if it were brand new from the factory, Clean. Make Sense? After you back everything up, of course.

I certainly don't know much about repairing computers, but I don't know about setting everything back to factory defaults. There are a lot of settings for things like Midi controllers that would get all out of whack.

you may have a point, but there are a lot of us that have a lot of custom presets with controllers and such programed so it is not that easy to just start clean. but I am not complaining most of the time my presets only need minor tweeks except for tone matches normally with a big change like from 16.xx to 18.xx they were all a loss(in my case)

That is why I say backup your presets. Your presets should contain all your midi and sysex information. Your just loading them(presets), onto a clean FW install.
I know for some it can be a scary step, definitely give yourself some time, and of course don't do the update when you have a gig that weekend etc....
I am speaking from a techy point of view, with the hope that those attempting an update have a smoother experience.
Most wont have an issue or even worry about it. Just a suggestion for those a little worried about it, it will make things easier.
In other words, just make sure you can go back to where you were before you updated if there is an issue.
Have a fresh copy of your current firmware.
Have a recent back of all your presets etc...
Current fractal bot, blahhh, that way if it tanks for whatever reason, then you can go right back to where you were. No harm no foul.

Last edited:
when you reload the old presets on an new firm ware they are the same they were before you updated so not really much difference I don't think, you still have to retweek!

so far IMO every update has been beauty not curse but I am not glued to a tone I am open to improve always! but there is always work to maintain beauty no matter what it is you are referring to!!!!

I always do a system clean, system reset, and reset my AMP block to defaults (and sometimes the CAB block) for each of my presets for any major firmware release, as well as reset any FX block that may have changed in the new firmware. As well as ensuring any updated blocks are initialized and clean (especially any Advanced parameters I've fiddled with), it's quicker for me to re-dial in from scratch new production presets for a new firmware release then carry over existing AMP/CAB tweaks and work with them. I can reset my MIDI controllers, etc. in a couple of minutes. I then save the system and preset banks to onboard flash and to the PC.

But yea, every once in a while I'll wipe out the banks and restore my presets, and/or create new templates, etc., just because it's a computer heh.

Personally, I'm not going to wipe/reinstall my presets every time I upgrade just because something *might* go wrong. To me that sounds like uninstalling all my programs before running a Windows update.

First I unplug anything that might send MIDI signals in the process (MFC / pedals). After that I make a backup of my presets, user cabs and system settings, and then install the new firmware. Once that's done I may or may not reset the system parameters, depending on whether I remember to or not. Usually I just end up playing around. ;)

If and only if something sounds wrong I'll start troubleshooting. Been doing it like this for over 2 years on my Axe, and only once encountered a faulty install (which was then easily fixed with a reinstall and using said backup). I appreciate your suggestions and they're good practice from a tech point of view, but I guess I like to live dangerously. :mrgreen

enhanced-buzz-20297-1362742177-0.jpg

You've got some good points and some real head-scratchers here. :)

The axe needs to be looked at like a pc running windows.
A dedicated hardware platform running tightly-coded, special-purpose software can't be compared to a commodity PC running a general-purpose OS built from bloatware. :)

1. ALWAYS back up your system/presets first and foremost.
Excellent advice.

2. ALWAYS do a clean, factory fresh, install of whatever firmware. Clean no presets, clean slate so to speak.
The only kind of firmware available is factory-fresh. There's no reason to delete your presets before a firmware update.

3. When you download the new firmware, download it again, just to be sure that the firmware file is not corrupt. It Happens.
That second download has the same chance of being corrupt as the first one has. In other words, downloading twice won't improve your odds.

4. Always treat each new firmware like a fresh brand new axe-fx, and then slowly integrate your presets. If they jive great, IF not, make new ones.
There's no reason to slowly load your presets back in. They should already be there, because you don't have to delete them. On a PC, you don't uninstall all your apps, update the OS, then slowly re-install your apps. You know why. :)

...Cliff and co. automatically do these steps...
Nope.

It is a computer after all.
True.

If your digging your machine they way it is don't update!
Unless you want the new sonic improvements, new amp models, new cabs, improved effects...

...funny thing is I don't even own a Axe-fx YET!
When you do own one, you'll know why I typed the stuff above. :)

Keep on rocking! :pride:
Yeah!

You've got some good points and some real head-scratchers here. :)

A dedicated hardware platform running tightly-coded, special-purpose software can't be compared to a commodity PC running a general-purpose OS built from bloatware. :)

Excellent advice.

The only kind of firmware available is factory-fresh. There's no reason to delete your presets before a firmware update.

That second download has the same chance of being corrupt as the first one has. In other words, downloading twice won't improve your odds.

There's no reason to slowly load your presets back in. They should already be there, because you don't have to delete them. On a PC, you don't uninstall all your apps, update the OS, then slowly re-install your apps. You know why. :)

Nope.

True.

Unless you want the new sonic improvements, new amp models, new cabs, improved effects...

When you do own one, you'll know why I typed the stuff above. :)

Yeah!

Thanks for the clarification Rex, like I said just trying to help. I am so eager to just get involved and saw people
having issues, so I thew my cents in the jar. Maybe not totally the right sense, but the principal thoughts
were nothing but sincere. I really need to get one, than I really talk my shiate, lol. I stated I did not have one
yet so... Grain of salt needed, I appreciate the honesty and setting the record straight. Thanks!

Send me one and I'll try and break it, lol. I like to help people out but I guess I need to learn more. So my first question in the process is.......
Midi parameters and such are not saved on a per preset basis? How are they stored? Are they stored In a global sense then adapted to scenes etc...?

Is there an MD5 Sum file checker for the firmware downloads, to make sure they are not corrupt etc...?

Cliff an co. do not load firmware updates on a fresh machine etc..?

Last edited:
Um…

So, we’re getting advice on Axe-FX best practices from someone who doesn't even have one?

Isn’t this a little like a virgin giving sex advice? The pope acting as marriage counselor? I think you left out the step where you sacrifice a chicken. I mean, sheesh…

I don't mean to seem mean-spirited, but these suggestions are for the most part tripe and near-superstitious. Two downloads? Are you kidding me?

I've been updating since the ultra days, and Not One Issue. When you have an Axe of your own, you're free to follow whatever procedure makes you feel good… but this is just fear-mongering. It's very simple to use, it works beautifully, and you're blowing matters all out of proportion. There's no reason on earth to wipe the Axe clean every time you update it… that's just absurd.

Last edited:
I'm not to sure why some people have such a hard time uploading new firmware but I suspect the connection could be the most important one. Out of seven+ years of uploading new firmware versions in 5 different machines I have NEVER had a problem after I was done and I'm admittedly not computer savy by any means. Though some of your advice is good and some may not be warranted I admire your spirit and willingness to help out, it's what makes this forum so great!

Personally I think for a successful upload (aside from any unknown hardware issues) making sure you have a stable connection and following the steps making sure you have things right before you click any buttons is probably the most important.

Thanks for the clarification Rex, like I said just trying to help. I am so eager to just get involved and saw people
having issues, so I thew my cents in the jar. Maybe not totally the right sense, but the principal thoughts
were nothing but sincere. I really need to get one, than I really talk my shiate, lol. I stated I did not have one
yet so... Grain of salt needed, I appreciate the honesty and setting the record straight. Thanks!
No problem. Keep helping people. That's what is place is built on.

Midi parameters and such are not saved on a per preset basis? How are they stored? Are they stored In a global sense then adapted to scenes etc...?
MIDI parameters are stored separately, and backed up when you do a system backup. When you do a Reset System Parameters, your MIDI parameters are overwritten with factory defaults, so you need to add them back in afterwards. That's one reason you don't automatically reset when you load firmware. That's more of an if-you-need-to thing.

Is there an MD5 Sum file checker for the firmware downloads, to make sure they are not corrupt etc...?
There is a verification step after the firmware is installed. No idea whether it's MD5 of something else. Pretty reliable, but once in a while, something seems to sneak through.

Cliff an co. do not load firmware updates on a fresh machine etc..?
They might do that in specific instances, but when we beta-test new firmware, we just load it and go.

You sound like an excellent candidate for downloading the manual and giving it a read. I think you'd enjoy that.

Back
Top Bottom