Friedman Dirty Shirley model?

I just recently discovered the Dirty Shirley. I’m loving it for bluesy stuff with my Strat on the neck pickup.

I was using the JTM45 before and loved the character it had, but when you dug in or boosted it, the volume decreased and the treble got accentuated. I wanted something that had some punch and more meat to it, and the Dirty Shirley delivers! Gotta dial it in right though. I assumed master on 10 would be closest to the JTM45 but I ended up with it on like 5.3.

I spent some time with the 1 and 2, and concluded the 1 sounds closer to the JTM45 and the 2 has less of that vintage character and is punchier.

How are people dialing in the DS with Cygnus? I’m finding it to be very bass heavy. Used to be a favorite but now I’m struggling.
The real amp is bass heavy. I keep the bass very low or off on the real thing and the model. Lowering depth or turning on the cut switch may also help, depending on how tight you want it. I usually have the mids around two or three o’clock and treble and presence at about one o’clock.

Check out the input EQ section of the amp block. On Friedman amps I almost always dial in a whole lot of low cut to tighten up the low end.

I love both Dirty Shirleys. I like to turn down the bass extremely low, turn everything else extremely high, and use obscene amounts of Input Boost with the default Neutral flavor. I have to notch out 2284 Hz on the Input EQ at Q 10 so my ears don't bleed from the bridge pickup palm muting the A string, but then it's just heaven. Roll off the volume pot on the guitar for chimey, beautiful cleans, increase a hair for sexy blues, or roar with volume pot on 10 for the best lead tones in the world. Awesome amps, both of them!

Back
Top Bottom