Friedman Cab 3Sigma IR test

nikk©

Inspired
Hi All,

I had some time today to do a quick test / analysis of the 4X12 Friedman Cab from 3Sigma audio :

analyzes were made with HOFA IQ- analyzer v2

- 3Sigma are starting their impulses on an sample down , what appears to be a choice of the company?

Logic_wav.png

. Here's an example of what can be heard in phase inversion case :

! Little reminder : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_(waves)

. This does not matter, because we can correct this kind of thing in Cab-Lab, doing an "phase flip"

during processing of the wav IR into FAS IR/.syx :

Cab-Lab / tool / Processing Mode / Min Phase

Phase_issue.png

min_phase_apllyed.png

- From 300 Hz, there are no differences between the tub amp and the solid state amp version

3Sigma_Tub_Solid_state.png

- I found very good sounding IRs, ready to play & Many good Bass Cab !! which is rare.

Analyse.png

I think these IRs are designed to allow the greatest number to start directly with Pro cabs, easily, on many system.

- This is a different approach, of course it is far from the IR Cab-Pack from ownhammer, FAS, ML Soundlab or CabIR !

Their packs include many single Mic takes (with different Mic), different Speakers,

Mix (mix of several Mic, speackers), and many other options with top notch raw IRs,

but requires time consuming work of selection and mix, if you want to sculpt your own sound,

or simply a sound which fit well in your mix (that’s the point)

There is also a selection of mix or Artist Mix, ready to play !!

With this sort of Pack you have ALL the options, with a very large amount of IRs

- the number of IR is not the problem, what matter, is what you want to do with .)

- In any cases, these packs are worth the price, considering the amount of pricy equipment,

the knowledge needed to shoot Good IRs, the time spent, the cab, speackers ...

Beware of the rabbit hole :)

this is just my opinion, remember, the tone is highly subjective,…

Last edited:
Hm, went through and checked the phase of the packs i have in cablab (Aguilar, Orange, and acoustic 8x10 bass cabs and the zilla 2x12 + port city 4x12) and none of them had the phase issues I can see in the Friedman. I tried mixing them with some of my go to's in the box and I was never more than a phase invert away from a full sounding tone (invert in the mic sims btw). Perhaps this is more of an isolated incident than something widespread with the companies offerings? Idk I'll wait for them to chime in, I am curious about the Tube vs SS power amp thing though

Are you using the free version of Cab-Lab? I believe your impulses are being minimum phase transformed if this is the case. Not an issue if the impulses are MPT

If it doesn't give you the option then it's definitely MPT by default. Prior versions of Cab-Lab were the same
I checked, and it has a check box called "min phase". Mine was unchecked... So I checked it and regenerated the IRs. Haven't tried them again yet.

Hi Guys,

Joe Quick here the creator of the 3 Sigma Line. Dan Lopatka was nice enough to forward this to me to answer. There are no phase issues with our library. Everything within our library is phase coherent with each other. The above post shows the Friedman being out of phase with impulses from another manufacturer.This has nothing to do with phase issues other than they chose to start their impulses on an up sample and us a down. There is no phase issue with the Friedman itself. This will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and as stated by another user all that needs to be done is a simple phase flip if you are trying to combine our impulse with another manufacturer's that begins on an up sample. Hope this helps!

Hi Joe,

My intention was not to harm, it was just an observation ! as I wrote in this post, your IRs sounds great , I even

bought 7 pack . )... my next post will be a demo,

thanks for this reply.

Hey Nikk,

Of course. I certainly did not take it that way at all :) I just wanted to clarify as people with alot less knowledge on the terminology can get confused and then we end up getting emails asking if something is wrong with their purchase so I figured it was easier to address here. Can't wait to hear the tracks you make!

Last edited:
Agreed. Phase issues between different provider's IRs is commonplace.

This is a little different. It's not comb filtering because of time alignment. If two IR's are not time aligned, then you can get comb filtering the same as you would if you use more than one mic to record a source.

This is choosing to make the positive part of the impulse be the same as the positive movement of the speaker. FAS, ML, Ownhammer and Redwirez all start with a positive sample.

Edit: www.cabIR.eu (love these IR's!) also starts with a positive sample.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom