Friedman asm12 FRFR

new to axe and the forum. I've got a axe fx xl + latest firmware. Love it through headphones, can dial in sick tones. Got the Friedman asm 12 and am having a tough time adjusting live. Not quite the same. Any tips on tweaking settings, etc when going from headphones to Frfr? Thx in advance...

Just sounds off a bit from my headphones tones. Goes from sounding great too too bright and thin, not as "rich" sounding. I fig there would be adjustments needed but was hoping to come close to what I hear in my phones. Didn't know if there was a formula or if just start from scratch.

Just sounds off a bit from my headphones tones. Goes from sounding great too too bright and thin, not as "rich" sounding. I fig there would be adjustments needed but was hoping to come close to what I hear in my phones. Didn't know if there was a formula or if just start from scratch.
The "formula" is Fletcher-Munson. Google it, or look it up in the wiki.

Bottom line: you have to dial in your tones for the volume and gear you're using. You mentioned you were playing your ASM12 "live," which I took to mean "at gig volume." That will add extra emphasis to the highs and lows, at the expense of the midrange.

Ok cool, that was very informative. Thanks...Def makes more sense now. I actually recorded myself playing then played it back and it actually sounded better than what I perceived while actually playing. Good perspective to start tweaking on...

I actually recorded myself playing then played it back and it actually sounded better than what I perceived while actually playing.
Ah, that's a different thing altogether. It happens when you're playing at low volumes. That's the acoustic sound of your guitar—the sound it makes when it's not plugged into anything—getting mixed in with your amp tone. When you're wearing headphones, you don't hear it so much, because...you're wearing headphones. :)

It takes a surprising amount of volume to completely drown out your guitar's acoustic sound.

I'm learning that. Been a bedroom apt player for so long, I've just moved into a house so I'm trying to get a live rig together. Def need to crank it up a bit...thx for all the input...

new to axe and the forum. I've got a axe fx xl + latest firmware. Love it through headphones, can dial in sick tones. Got the Friedman asm 12 and am having a tough time adjusting live. Not quite the same. Any tips on tweaking settings, etc when going from headphones to Frfr? Thx in advance...

You have to consider that most headphones - even expensive hifi and DJ headphones - do not have a flat EQ curve at all. They overemphasize bass because boomy sound sells. Presets dialed in with headphones will not translate well to FRFR cabs, even if the ASM is said not to sound really flat. Pump up the volume of the cab to stage levels and start from there. Flat sounding headphones may help a bit.

Part of it may also be that you are not used to a speaker being angled up towards you. I had a hard time with powered wedges at first.

I always cut the mids a bit (EQ in amp block) and mess with the CAB block. I turn "Mic Separation" up to 200 and another adjustment (can't remember which one but is a percentage) up to about 60%. I also mess with the "Dephase" and normally always have it somewhere between 4.50 and 5.00 or so. Just depends on what preset but definitely makes a difference IMO. What IRs you use also can make a huge difference.

Head phones do not sound cab like and the asm does. You will def need to tweak the live pre sets for just that. Also each room or venue needs a bit of tweaking too.
First gig I did with my stereo asm set up was in a park and they got a lot of compliments, but I definitely did a few minor adjustments at the sound check.

Back
Top Bottom