Friedman Asm versus 4x12 cab

Screw him. Crank it and tell him to pretend he is fixing the heat and air in Madison Square Garden. :)
My ears are shot now! Been Kranking it up! I like the CLR's and the Friedmans. They both have some good attributes. CLR's are less boomy and focused sounding to me. The Friedmans sound looser and bass heavy but more cab like. Being in front of them close up and the smaller size and weight combined, I'm really liking the CLR's. I'm Most likely going to use the CLR for gigging out and leaving the Friedmans at home. So far, neither suck!

My ears are shot now! Been Kranking it up! I like the CLR's and the Friedmans. They both have some good attributes. CLR's are less boomy and focused sounding to me. The Friedmans sound looser and bass heavy but more cab like. Being in front of them close up and the smaller size and weight combined, I'm really liking the CLR's. I'm Most likely going to use the CLR for gigging out and leaving the Friedmans at home. So far, neither suck!

Awesome! Like we always say on here, the ultimate win for all of us is to have a ton of FRFR cabs so that there is something for everyone.

I was actually going to get a CLR before the Friedman and basically did an impulse buy when I got the Friedman. There were only a handful of us out there with a Friedman in the beginning. I just couldn't seem to get clarity on what folks liked and disliked about the CLR. Seemed like it was one extreme or another.

You know I'm really curious if people like one over the other based on their "go-to" amps within the Axe-FX or main type of music? I almost always go to the Friedman amps and more modded Marshall type tones. I do know based on what I've read, the CLR is basically plug and play and captures exactly what you would hear thru monitors. I can see why folks would want that but for me, the Friedman just added this extra cab-like tone that sounded like I had found tone heaven. :) One of these days I'll get to hear a CLR in person.

Gotta agree with RR.. spot on the money from my point of view too..
Now.. I'm getting trigger itchy for a pair of those new Matrix FR12's!! I'm so curious to hear what they sound like!!

Gotta agree with RR.. spot on the money from my point of view too..
Now.. I'm getting trigger itchy for a pair of those new Matrix FR12's!! I'm so curious to hear what they sound like!!
I'm thinking Xitones next but they are less wattage.

_20160421_142532-jpg.32015

Whoa!!!! Bro, you're my new hero lol!!
BTW--nice, I see you got an MP-1.

Try this 5153 preset with the ASMs:

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4233

FW: Q3.0B2
Setup: WDW
Speakers: ASM-12 (3)
Guitar: Les Paul w/ Moe Joe
Tuning: D standard
Power Amp Modeling: on
Cabinet Modeling: on
Global EQ: None
Notes: Play me loud.

Getting ready to plug in right now!!
By the way what set up do you run your signal chain 2 speakers (parallel) or one set in stereo while running FRRFR?

Getting ready to plug in right now!!
By the way what set up do you run your signal chain 2 speakers (parallel) or one set in stereo while running FRRFR?
Are you asking me? I guess I hijacked this thread, sorry. I run one set in stereo mostly. Sometimes I'll do two parallel but I haven't been lately.

These asm's are Kiiiiler -way bigger box/cab sounding than the CLR's I owned. The correct IR (OH T-75 right now) and a little more mids/presence in the pre set and Dayum!!!!!!!! I will do a vid of some of my tones today and make a new thread!
Funny how we all interpret good sound/tone. I am liking the CLR's a little better than my Friedmans. Maybe I should try the ASM's again. I got a Matrix amp a couple years ago and thought it was really good and about a month later I hooked my VHT tube amp back up and couldn't believe how awesome it sounded and never went back to the Matrix.

Redd honestly both are awesome. I am going off memory from the CLR which I liked a lot and was able to a/b with RCF's (CLR def more cab like)
It all comes down to the IR and dialing in the pre set for each to work.

The 'bigger' sound comment I think is due to the asm having 2x12's and the CLR's co-axl ever so slightly smaller projection. Both seem to project better than 4x12 cabs walking around the room.

Awesome to have this killer gear!

These asm's are Kiiiiler -way bigger box/cab sounding than the CLR's I owned. The correct IR (OH T-75 right now) and a little more mids/presence in the pre set and Dayum!!!!!!!! I will do a vid of some of my tones today and make a new thread!

I've watched so many of your videos over the years and I know you have owned a lot of different FRFR solutions so that is a good sign.

Like REDD said, it is crazy how we all pin down a certain tone and hear things a certain way. What sounds "ideal" to one person, may not sound good at all to another. If you think about it though, it is the same with guitar tones from our favorite artists. One guy will praise EVH tones and another guy will say how empty and lifeless it sounds.

All I know is that the Friedman hit a part of that tone bank in my head that made me instantly love it. I'm not a big "mids" guy and I don't know if that is part of it. Since 85', I always find myself dipping mids when others are raising them. The Friedman took some of the harshness and middy tones I heard with other stuff and made it more manageable.

I've watched so many of your videos over the years and I know you have owned a lot of different FRFR solutions so that is a good sign.

Like REDD said, it is crazy how we all pin down a certain tone and hear things a certain way. What sounds "ideal" to one person, may not sound good at all to another. If you think about it though, it is the same with guitar tones from our favorite artists. One guy will praise EVH tones and another guy will say how empty and lifeless it sounds.

All I know is that the Friedman hit a part of that tone bank in my head that made me instantly love it. I'm not a big "mids" guy and I don't know if that is part of it. Since 85', I always find myself dipping mids when others are raising them. The Friedman took some of the harshness and middy tones I heard with other stuff and made it more manageable.

I agree completely. It is incredibly personal. Sure there are norms and ball park for lots of sounds, but ultimately it is always each to their own. I played in a trio and the other guitarist had a 1989 clapton strat with the mid boost. Man - that guitar would cut through every mix he ever played in both with us and other bands, and it would sustain for days. It was really incredible but no matter how good it was, I could not ever see myself playing that guitar and getting the same enjoyment from it that he does. It's personal!

You gotta find your own sweet spot somehow

Does a backing track sound good through the ASM's? Or is it better to just have the guitar tone alone going through them & play along with the backing track coming out of regular monitors?

Does a backing track sound good through the ASM's? Or is it better to just have the guitar tone alone going through them & play along with the backing track coming out of regular monitors?

It all sounds killer through the ASMs.

IMO, the ASM frequency response is spot on, that combined with the USB signal (BT) mixed in the end of the signal path of the Axe (if using an Axe) makes for a great wail-at-will setup.

One of the main reasons I went FRFR is because I was sick of being forced to have 2 systems - one for the BT and for the guitar.

Now it's just like a live monitor mix, only difference being the BT sounds a whole lot better than the old band in the wedges

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom