Friedma ASM and Proper Gain Staging with Axe2 and 8

Adinfinitum

Experienced
i'm having the exact opposite problem than the guy in the other thread with no volume. I moved my CLR to my office for use with an AX8 and replaced it with the Friedman in my studio for use with my Axe-FX 2. I ran the CLR pretty much wide open and had the Axe output 1 anywhere from 10 o'clock to 2 depending on the patch [wish there was a brick wall limiter on the output to even out Axechange patches].

Now, i set up the ASM at full volume, but now i cannot have the Axe output more than at 8 o'clock without it being hurricane force. At what volume do you run the Friedman (12 noon or less) and how about the Axe?

My prior understanding of gain staging was to always have the power amp up all the way and control volume on the Axe output.

Also, if i'm running the Axe8 through a Mackie Mixer, Samson C1 into the CLR and Equator D5s. I have the Axe set to +4 and the Mackie channel strip switched to +4. The Mackie main outputs are through the XLR balanced into the Samson (also balanced) and then balanced out to CLR and monitors. Also using humbusters from Axe to Mackie.

Is that correct? Should the AXE8 and Mackie be switchedto -10?

Having no issues with this setting: ASM-12 at about 7 (as well as XiTone 1x12 active). Have the Out 1 / 2 at about 2. The AX8 IOs are set until no clipping is present on the AX8 meters. Using Best-Tronics humbuster cables.

Will provide more info later once I get home.

Good gain staging (if you can stand the volume it takes to pull it off):

- Turn the power amp all the way down.

- Crank your Axe all the way up.

- Slowly turn up the power amp until it just starts to clip. Then back it off a notch.

- Done. Use the Axe as a volume control. Don't touch the power amp.

The short answer for your situation: turn that power amp down until you get a useful volume range out of it. Don't worry about what's "correct." There's nothing correct about levels you can't use.

Checked my settings:

ASM-12 = 7 (number on dial)
XiTone = 8 (number on dial)

AX8 = IN1 PAD - 18.0 / OUT1 - +4 / IN2 - +4 / OUT2 - 0.0

As wrote above this post, I use the AX8 volume 1 and 2 for control.

So far, so good. Has worked fine in band practice and live.

Hope this helps.

Curiosity question (after reading you list of gear).
If you dial a patch in on the Equator D5 (which I have as well)...how does it translate to your CLR vs. the Friedman?

Most of the time I'm just scrolling through preset and not crafting my own presets (except minor tweaks) through the D5s, CLR and ASM. I find all NF monitors make guitars sound harsh - it is really hard to describe, although, i was listening to Peace of Mind trough Jammit, which has separate tracks from the original master, and the lead guitar has the same sound. I guess it really is amp in the room vs. recorded guitar sound

My synths and software instruments sound fine through the D5s. I'm going to hire a pro engineering to check my system to see what, if anything, i'm doing wrong.

Both the CLR and ASM sound better to me than the D5s, but both are pumping a lot more wattage, so that could just be Fletcher Munson issues.

The Axe2 through both the CLR and ASM in my rehearsal room sound much better, so it could just be a matter of "volume makes everything sound better."

I can tell you i tried pretty much every major 5 inch speaker and the D5s won out.

Cool.
I love my D5s....and all patches translate great on a CLR.
Was more curious how the Friedman compared (and if patches sound drastically different).
Thanks for the info.

The CLR is the most accurate FRFR i've tried (and I've tried many). Pretty much what you put in is what comes outcomes out. Tom and Jay did an incredible job with the CLR.

The Friedman does have some mojo though. It may be a half way compromise between a guitar amp/speaker and a FRFR.

I also have a Xitone 10 with Matrix power amp (built around the same time as MBritt's 12. I went for the 10 inch due to where it was going (under a desk where i was cramming as much gear as I could). Once i get a better hang of the Friedman, I'll go tweak the CLR and then the Xitone. I know it is USER ERROR because ALL OF THESE MODELERS, PLUGINS AND SPECIALIZED AMPS SOUND AWESOME.

There are so many settings (+4 or -10?, pad or no pad? How to correctly set input volume, patch levels (3rd party ones are all over the place - one is a whisper, another blows out the speakers, what, out of the 1,000,000,000 IR variations to choose, which sounds "better", what amp?, what settings?

The problem with "trusting my ears" is that I don't trust my ears. At this, to paraphrase Talking Heads (not The Talking Heads), i've changed my settings so many time, i don't know what sounds right.

Back
Top Bottom