FrFr vs power amp into regular speaker cab

clusterDuck

Hey guys,

I am new to the board and just got my first Axe Fx II a couple of days ago.

I am wondering about getting a FrFr cab/ amp combo vs getting a flat range power amp solution. Specifically, my options are

1. Powered FRFR (Gemini 1 or 2 for example)

2. Matrix GT800 GT800FX - Rack amps into one of my existing cabinets (Marshall 1960, Randall 2x12 w/ v30s).

The latter is cheaper since I already own the guitar cabs.

Thanks,
Bjorn

I'd recommend going the guitar and traditional cab route to start of with. get used to the Axe Fx and how that sounds and get comfortable with programming and getting a good sound through gear you are familiar with. Then if you want to dip your toe in the FRFR waters, you'll have at least a good grounding of things to tweak on the Axe Fx.

I'd recommend going the guitar and traditional cab route to start of with. get used to the Axe Fx and how that sounds and get comfortable with programming and getting a good sound through gear you are familiar with. Then if you want to dip your toe in the FRFR waters, you'll have at least a good grounding of things to tweak on the Axe Fx.

So presumably I'd have to turn off speaker sims to go this route. Question: If I do turn off the speaker sims, can I still route the Axe Fx directly into the PA? Or do I need to mic the cab?

thanks!

FRFR is the way to go, allowing you to use IRs, which are half the reason to buy the Axe.

+ 1

Personally, I wish that I did this. I went straight into FRFR and found that my ears didn't like what they were hearing because they'd never heard that before. Definitely a good way to start given that's what you're used to. Some people like the whole FRFR straight away - I certainly didn't. Ended up spending a lot more money that was necessary (don't we all!) before landing that Friedman ASM-12 which ticks all my boxes better than anything else I've come across. However, forums are forums and people will give their opinions.. you mind may vary..

Back
Top Bottom