FRFR Testing at Matrix factory - pictures inside.

Apparently so. Mat corrected me (over the phone) after I posted. Wasnt aware they were testing other speakers. Should make for a cost effective option though.

The Celestion is a proper co-axe design and apparently they only make one - so it will be the one linked to.

I wonder if this is the same driver that Carvin uses in their TRx12N monitor.

Don't think so ... the Carvin uses a 1.5" voice coil HF unit, the Celestion is a 1.75" voice coil HF unit ... I thought some of the Carvin stuff had used P-Audio drivers in the past, but I don;t think P-Audio do a 1.5" vc HF compression driver at the moment

... maybe they take a P-Audio 12" coaxial chassis and put someone elses 1" exit / 1.5" vc HF driver on it? dunno. Carvin are big enough to be having their own drivers made I guess, so it could be just about anything really ...

Don't think so ... the Carvin uses a 1.5" voice coil HF unit, the Celestion is a 1.75" voice coil HF unit ... I thought some of the Carvin stuff had used P-Audio drivers in the past, but I don;t think P-Audio do a 1.5" vc HF compression driver at the moment

... maybe they take a P-Audio 12" coaxial chassis and put someone elses 1" exit / 1.5" vc HF driver on it? dunno. Carvin are big enough to be having their own drivers made I guess, so it could be just about anything really ...

Interesting... I could have sworn I read somewhere that Carvin was/is using a Celestion Coaxial for the TrxN floor monitor??

Yep, the Carvin definitely uses the TF-1225CX. Carvin's web site has a couple errors; it's not, as noted above, a 1.5-inch VC. Carvin also strongly implies, if doesn't actually directly state, that it's a neodymium unit. Well, the HF driver is neo, but the LF uses a regular ferrite ring.

If Matrix has a crossover they're happy with, kudos to their design staff. It's a tough speaker to work with, because the HF driver is waaaay more efficient than the LF. Carvin's crossover drops about 7dB from the highs, but it has a lot of other issues IMO.

I've reworked the Carvin crossover to the point that I'm 90% happy with it, but it's still a little too bright.

Yep, the Carvin definitely uses the TF-1225CX. Carvin's web site has a couple errors; it's not, as noted above, a 1.5-inch VC. Carvin also strongly implies, if doesn't actually directly state, that it's a neodymium unit. Well, the HF driver is neo, but the LF uses a regular ferrite ring.

If Matrix has a crossover they're happy with, kudos to their design staff. It's a tough speaker to work with, because the HF driver is waaaay more efficient than the LF. Carvin's crossover drops about 7dB from the highs, but it has a lot of other issues IMO.

I've reworked the Carvin crossover to the point that I'm 90% happy with it, but it's still a little too bright.

That's what I heard about the Carvin, though I never had the chance to demo it my self.

Weird... on Celestion's website the TF-1225CX says it goes down to 40Hz and the curve looks pretty gradual. On Carvin's website, it's a steep drop-off at around 60Hz.

Also, it says Ferrite on Celestion's website / Neo on Carvin.

Like I said, it's a ferrite LF driver, and a neo HF unit.

Celestion's specs are in free air. Carvin has to take the box into consideration, although the dropoff really occurs higher than 60. IIRC the -3dB point according to WinISD is around 115Hz.

Like I said, it's a ferrite LF driver, and a neo HF unit.

Celestion's specs are in free air. Carvin has to take the box into consideration, although the dropoff really occurs higher than 60. IIRC the -3dB point according to WinISD is around 115Hz.

Ah, I think I just read your original post backwards.

That is way too high for me, as a baritone player, to have the bass drop out!

Ah, I think I just read your original post backwards.

That is way too high for me, as a baritone player, to have the bass drop out!

Couple things to think about:

First, Carvin designed it as a stage monitor...not a 'tone reproducer'. IMO anything under around 150Hz is not helpful from a monitor, and can actually be a problem.

Second, the Carvin is a sealed box...you don't get any tuning help, but OTOH you have a much more robust system (awfully hard to exceed Xmax). The Matrix is ported, based on the pictures, so it can probably go significantly lower.

Finally - we're just talking about the flat input response. There's no reason you can't apply EQ to get the low end back! That's exactly what powered speakers do, they have the EQ built-in.

Very good points, and I'm still interested in comparing the Carvin to all these other Coax solutions. I have always loved the company and the prices.

Weird... on Celestion's website the TF-1225CX says it goes down to 40Hz and the curve looks pretty gradual. On Carvin's website, it's a steep drop-off at around 60Hz.
At Celestion, they're selling the speaker only, and their specs will be for the speaker in free air. Carvin is selling a speaker mounted in a box, with a crossover attached. That frequency response will be different.

Edit: Should have read the next page; AdmiralB beat me to it. :)

Back
Top Bottom