FRFR speaker recommendation?

What is so unfortunate about the FRFR speaker , lots of choices and not many places to demo and really not practical to demo unless a guitar specific type frfr, so we get threads with a gazillion opinions for days and days and it's on going for years. I've tried several frfr options, headrush, Qsc 12.2, Friedman ASC-10, 12, before trying any of those I was on here shifting thru frfr threads and listening to vids and reading specs.
The fact that so many adjustments are made per individual there is no way to know what's best for anyone else. Some of the highly recommended modeler specific frfrs have reliability and service hurdles, if you just want to have fun get a headrush. It's cheap, and it's nothing lost if you go another direection after several months. Personally I prefer traditional cabs. That's just my preference, no one listening will give a crap if it sounds good. I've yet to find anything that sounds bad. Inwould say a frfr for 300 bucks when cranked is going to sound like a 300 dollar frfr made out of plastic

I really wanted Atomic CLRs. But they've been sold out for what seems like years. I even put my name on the waiting list. No luck.

Then I wanted Redsound MF10s. But I can't seem to buy them direct to the US, and I contacted the distributor, but got no response.

So I bought two Friedman ASC-12s. Mistake? We'll see. They get here Tuesday.

Sorry to be a bit thick here but I am still trying to understand the issue of one speaker or two? For example, my old tube amp is a combo amp with one 12" speaker, so it would seem it isn't stereo. Of course I don't use it with a modeler, just through my pedalboard and effects. Now that I have the FM3 I want to use the capabilities fully of the FM3 but have better sound output than my current old Alesis Active Studio Monitors. Of course they are stereo, but given that my tube amp isn't, would the FM3 output to one FRFR speaker be similar to the tube amp setup? Or would the difference be that for one active FRFR speaker with the FM3 I would only be using one channel or output from the FM3? In that case I would have to setup the FM3 for mono output? What would I be losing doing this?

Sorry again for being thick. It is not only budget, but given that I don't gig and I play in a smalll bedroom, I don't want to overdue it either. I just want to get sound quality out of the FM3 similar to my tube amp, but be able to take advantage of all of the modeling/processing capabilities of the FM3.

Stereo routing is one of the things that is really cool about using a modeler. It is pretty impractical to have a stereo setup when you use tube amplifiers because there are issues with ground loops and the massive amount of extra weight for a second amp. None of those are issues when using a modeler.

Being able to utilize stereo opens up a bunch of possibilities that are not available with a mono setup. Some types of effects are useless without stereo (for example: 2290 delay). I would say that a stereo setup is completely worth the investment.

A solution might be to purchase one FRFR and run mono while you save up for a second one to have a stereo rig later.

Stereo routing is one of the things that is really cool about using a modeler. It is pretty impractical to have a stereo setup when you use tube amplifiers because there are issues with ground loops and the massive amount of extra weight for a second amp. None of those are issues when using a modeler.

Being able to utilize stereo opens up a bunch of possibilities that are not available with a mono setup. Some types of effects are useless without stereo (for example: 2290 delay). I would say that a stereo setup is completely worth the investment.

A solution might be to purchase one FRFR and run mono while you save up for a second one to have a stereo rig later.
Thanks as always for the great information. Makes sense on the stereo aspect of the decision. Next for me is whether to get something like the Redsound 8's, one active and one passive, or go with something like the Vboutique passive cabinets with a amplifier. If the latter, it seems as though you lose the ability to connect using XLR cables. Something like the SD 170 or 200 looks nice but they don't have XLR connections, nor do the passive speakers. I honestly don't know if this matters or not. I like the idea of two vBoutique speakers as shown below with something like the powerstage 170. I am not sure how to connect to the SD 170 from the FM3 left and right output 1 XLR's, and then how to connect the SD 170 to two passive speakers.

VFRLR 1 X 12 W/F12-X200​

I really wanted Atomic CLRs. But they've been sold out for what seems like years. I even put my name on the waiting list. No luck.

Then I wanted Redsound MF10s. But I can't seem to buy them direct to the US, and I contacted the distributor, but got no response.

So I bought two Friedman ASC-12s. Mistake? We'll see. They get here Tuesday.
I've got a 10 and a 12. Love em , never giged em tho. I wont spend enough time dialing in a live sound lol

I've got a 10 and a 12. Love em , never giged em tho. I wont spend enough time dialing in a live sound lol
Would be interested in your impressions of each, the ASC-10 and ASC-12. If I go the route OrganicZed suggests and get one now and one later, the question would be, if I go with Friedman, whether to go with the 10 or 12.

Thanks as always for the great information. Makes sense on the stereo aspect of the decision. Next for me is whether to get something like the Redsound 8's, one active and one passive, or go with something like the Vboutique passive cabinets with a amplifier. If the latter, it seems as though you lose the ability to connect using XLR cables. Something like the SD 170 or 200 looks nice but they don't have XLR connections, nor do the passive speakers. I honestly don't know if this matters or not. I like the idea of two vBoutique speakers as shown below with something like the powerstage 170. I am not sure how to connect to the SD 170 from the FM3 left and right output 1 XLR's, and then how to connect the SD 170 to two passive speakers.

VFRLR 1 X 12 W/F12-X200​

You are correct that neither the Vbotique cabs nor the SD 170 have XLR I/O. That doesn't matter all that much unless you are planning to use cables longer than 25 feet or so. The main thing to note with the Vbotique / power amp setup is that you will either need two power amps or a stereo power amp to get true stereo operation (something like a Matrix GT800FX, the SD Powerstage 700, or almost any standard power amp made for PA use such as those made by Crown and QSC) . If you run two passive speakers off of the same mono power amp you will just have dual mono. The PS 170 does not have the ability to accept a stereo input.

The nice thing about using a standalone amp with a passive speaker rig is that you could use the same amp to power a traditional guitar cabinet as well.

The all in one self powered FRFR cabinets are nice because you don't need to worry about sourcing a properly matching amplifier, have less cables to deal with, and they are more convenient to setup / tear down since the amp is built into the enclosure.

You are correct that neither the Vbotique cabs nor the SD 170 have XLR I/O. That doesn't matter all that much unless you are planning to use cables longer than 25 feet or so. The main thing to note with the Vbotique / power amp setup is that you will either need two power amps or a stereo power amp to get true stereo operation (something like a Matrix GT800FX, the SD Powerstage 700, or almost any standard power amp made for PA use such as those made by Crown and QSC) . If you run two passive speakers off of the same mono power amp you will just have dual mono. The PS 170 does not have the ability to accept a stereo input.

The nice thing about using a standalone amp with a passive speaker rig is that you could use the same amp to power a traditional guitar cabinet as well.

The all in one self powered FRFR cabinets are nice because you don't need to worry about sourcing a properly matching amplifier, have less cables to deal with, and they are more convenient to setup / tear down since the amp is built into the enclosure.
Makes perfect sense. I am definitely leaning towards the active FRFR speaker setup. Now it is just which ones would definitely upgrade my sound quality, and whether to get one now, use it for a while, and get a second later if I need it. The issue with that is if between buying the first and second speaker they are discontinued or changed. In this crazy world that is a real possibility.

Makes perfect sense. I am definitely leaning towards the active FRFR speaker setup. Now it is just which ones would definitely upgrade my sound quality, and whether to get one now, use it for a while, and get a second later if I need it. The issue with that is if between buying the first and second speaker they are discontinued or changed. In this crazy world that is a real possibility.

Yeah, the supply issue is a legitimate concern these days. The only way to guarantee that you get a matching pair is to buy them together.

Would be interested in your impressions of each, the ASC-10 and ASC-12. If I go the route OrganicZed suggests and get one now and one later, the question would be, if I go with Friedman, whether to go with the 10 or 12.
I like them both, the 12 is heavier, sound wise it's a wash to me. You dial either one in the exact same. Maybe more dispersion with the 12 as would make sense it's a bigger horn and speaker. Plenty loud. It's all how you dial in the IR and cab block. To me its different than a traditional cab , and probably supposed to be. The gain and compression is easily accessible. Friedman products have customer service second to no one in the 40 years I've been buying guitar products. For service you would merely ship the module/amp that mounts to the back of either cab and is easily removed, so it's not like you have to ship the weight of the cab and speakers and horn, unless you blow a speaker, which I'd hate to imagine that volume needed

I like them both, the 12 is heavier, sound wise it's a wash to me. You dial either one in the exact same. Maybe more dispersion with the 12 as would make sense it's a bigger horn and speaker. Plenty loud. It's all how you dial in the IR and cab block. To me its different than a traditional cab , and probably supposed to be. The gain and compression is easily accessible. Friedman products have customer service second to no one in the 40 years I've been buying guitar products. For service you would merely ship the module/amp that mounts to the back of either cab and is easily removed, so it's not like you have to ship the weight of the cab and speakers and horn, unless you blow a speaker, which I'd hate to imagine that volume needed
Thanks, sounds like the ASC-10 would work for me. I wish I could buy it direct from Friedman.

I'd check your local classifieds (FB Marketplace, Craigslist) and maybe you can find someone
offing a powered cab/monitor used. It would allow you to check out the FRFR thing and know if it
suits you before you drop a larger amount of cash.

As much as there are differences in FRFR quality and price they all kind of have that FRFR thing that
some people love, and others barely like.

Which?

Electro-Voice PXM-12MP 700W 12" Powered Coaxial Monitor​

or

Accugroove Latte+​

Just checking again as to whether the Electro Voice speaker is made in China. Also, if not, is it considered an FRFR speaker or a guitar cabinet? Thanks!

I wonder what percentage of guitarists actually prefer stereo over mono?
I understand it can be contextual…but still…

Just checking again as to whether the Electro Voice speaker is made in China. Also, if not, is it considered an FRFR speaker or a guitar cabinet? Thanks!
I couldn't figure out where that model is made, but it is a FRFR. It is marketed as a floor monitor and is not specifically aimed at the guitar market.

I couldn't figure out where that model is made, but it is a FRFR. It is marketed as a floor monitor and is not specifically aimed at the guitar market.
On Sweetwater I was reading the specs and it does have a guitar mode for using it with modelers to give a more traditional response. I guess that means like an amp's response, if you are not using speaker emulation? Electro-Voice PXM-12MP 700W 12" Powered Coaxial Monitor

Honestly, I don't hear much difference at all using speaker emulation, through the Friedman ASC-12's or the V-Botique with Celestion F-12-X200 speaker 1x12's I have. The Friedman's have 12" celestions also. And the power amp is a class G in them is different than the Matrix I am pushing the V-Botique cabs with. I would say the Friedman's are a bit darker and have more bass, but with the bass cut on, I can't really tell in a side by side comparison. The Friedman's may be a bit thicker with the bass cut off, but I would expect that with their much greater weight also.

A lot of the quality recommendations given on this thread would probably work fine, and adjusting some parameters on the Fractal might be necessary.

The Electro-Voice PXM-12MP 700W 12" Powered Coaxial Monitor are interesting in regard to greater sound coverage, I might want to look into those sometime.

With the FRFR cabinets that seem to be highly regarded on this forum, you are putting out about the same amount of money for a stereo pair. That's a great tribute to the tone you get from a Fractal, through 2 somewhat similar FRFR cabinets, the sound is consistent.

Back
Top Bottom