FRFR speaker recommendation?

EV PXM 12-MP.

Do a forum search and you'll find some good threads.

I'm really liking mine...
Yeah I have one of these and am really happy with it. I dial things in first on a pair of Focal Alpha 65s and then check it/refine using the EV. Usually nothing to do. I'd have bought another CLR (had a neo a few years back), but none available unless I wanted to pay inflated used pricing. Actually very glad it turned out this way, as the EV sounds great, and is smaller/much easier to move.

You are correct that neither the Vbotique cabs nor the SD 170 have XLR I/O. That doesn't matter all that much unless you are planning to use cables longer than 25 feet or so. The main thing to note with the Vbotique / power amp setup is that you will either need two power amps or a stereo power amp to get true stereo operation (something like a Matrix GT800FX, the SD Powerstage 700, or almost any standard power amp made for PA use such as those made by Crown and QSC) . If you run two passive speakers off of the same mono power amp you will just have dual mono. The PS 170 does not have the ability to accept a stereo input.

The nice thing about using a standalone amp with a passive speaker rig is that you could use the same amp to power a traditional guitar cabinet as well.

The all in one self powered FRFR cabinets are nice because you don't need to worry about sourcing a properly matching amplifier, have less cables to deal with, and they are more convenient to setup / tear down since the amp is built into the enclosure.
I am using 50 foot Speakon cables (12 gauge) to connect my Matrix GT1000-FX to a pair of Botique's, I didn't realize there could be a problem with that. I haven't noticed anything. At some point I will switch to EV PXM-12MP, and sell the Friedman's (they weigh a ton). A lot of good things have been said about the EVs. I would buy one and save for the other one, as @OrganicZed recommended.

I am using 50 foot Speakon cables (12 gauge) to connect my Matrix GT1000-FX to a pair of Botique's, I didn't realize there could be a problem with that. I haven't noticed anything. At some point I will switch to EV PXM-12MP, and sell the Friedman's (they weigh a ton). A lot of good things have been said about the EVs. I would buy one and save for the other one, as @OrganicZed recommended.
What problem are you referring to?

I use FOH for my main output, and (pre Cab Block) a QSC wired to traditional guitar cabs on stage. Sounds real. I tried enough FRFR products to know that I would never be happy.

The Electro-Voice PXM-12MP 700W 12" Powered Coaxial Monitor are interesting in regard to greater sound coverage, I might want to look into those sometime.
I love the pair I have.
With the FRFR cabinets that seem to be highly regarded on this forum, you are putting out about the same amount of money for a stereo pair. That's a great tribute to the tone you get from a Fractal, through 2 somewhat similar FRFR cabinets, the sound is consistent.
There’ll be minor differences because speakers and cabs and electronics combine to make minor differences in the frequency response, but they should be very similar, kind of like two different guitarists into two different models of Marshals and different cabinets. They sound really good together. Tweak them and they could even sound identical, but what’s the point of that?

I love the pair I have.

There’ll be minor differences because speakers and cabs and electronics combine to make minor differences in the frequency response, but they should be very similar, kind of like two different guitarists into two different models of Marshals and different cabinets. They sound really good together. Tweak them and they could even sound identical, but what’s the point of that?
Right. I've been working on EQing for a blend.

Yeah I have one of these and am really happy with it. I dial things in first on a pair of Focal Alpha 65s and then check it/refine using the EV. Usually nothing to do. I'd have bought another CLR (had a neo a few years back), but none available unless I wanted to pay inflated used pricing. Actually very glad it turned out this way, as the EV sounds great, and is smaller/much easier to move.
I have a pair of the EV and find I don’t need to change anything except to deal with lousy stages. I roll off cab lows at 80 Hz and highs at 10k, and if the stage rumbles I use the global PEQ to kill it. My EVs are set to the second monitor setting and 1/2 volume, and I almost never need to go past 1/2 on Out 1… except when I was having to compete with the FOH system because the engineer didn’t have time to get me plugged in. Oh, they hung in there really well at 106+ dB and the rest of the band was complaining. :)

What problem are you referring to?
I guess I didn't reply to the correct post. So the problem was user error. 😦

You are correct that neither the Vbotique cabs nor the SD 170 have XLR I/O. That doesn't matter all that much unless you are planning to use cables longer than 25 feet or so.
Then I said:
I am using 50 foot Speakon cables (12 gauge) to connect my Matrix GT1000-FX to a pair of Botique's, I didn't realize there could be a problem with that. I haven't noticed anything.

Then I basically said I'd get the EVs if I had it to do over again, and plan on getting some when the gear fund rebounds from a big 2022 for new guitars so far.

Right. I've been working on EQing for a blend.
The most important thing is to use a realistic volume when setting the EQ. We have to be at stage volume, for a couple reasons, but it’s essential.

And, it’s easy to prove to ourselves why, simply by setting the EQ at a loud, stage, volume, then turn the volume down to something your girlfriend can watch TV on an iPad over without telling us to “turn it the F* down!”. The sound will be thin once turned down. And, conversely, setting the EQ at a low volume sounds terrible once it’s turned up. It’s Fletcher-Munson in action.

So adjust EQ at volume.

I guess I didn't reply to the correct post. So the problem was user error. 😦

Then I said:
I am using 50 foot Speakon cables (12 gauge) to connect my Matrix GT1000-FX to a pair of Botique's, I didn't realize there could be a problem with that. I haven't noticed anything.

Then I basically said I'd get the EVs if I had it to do over again, and plan on getting some when the gear fund rebounds from a big 2022 for new guitars so far.
It sounds like you're using the long cables to connect the power amp to the speakers. That is probably fine. It is more of an issue to use long unbalanced cables when they are carrying unamplified signal. Here's a chart for recommended speaker cable length vs gauge and load impedance.

https://satmaximum.com/speaker-wires-guide-gauge-length-and-type.html
Speaker Wire Gauge4 Ohm Speakers6 Ohm Speakers8 Ohm Speakers
18 AWG Speaker Wire16 feet24 feet32 feet
16 AWG Speaker Wire24 feet36 feet48 feet
14 AWG Speaker Wire40 feet60 feet80 feet
12 AWG Speaker Wire60 feet90 feet120 feet
10 AWG Speaker Wire100 feet150 feet200 feet

It sounds like you're using the long cables to connect the power amp to the speakers. That is probably fine. It is more of an issue to use long unbalanced cables when they are carrying unamplified signal. Here's a chart for recommended speaker cable length vs gauge and load impedance.

https://satmaximum.com/speaker-wires-guide-gauge-length-and-type.html
Speaker Wire Gauge4 Ohm Speakers6 Ohm Speakers8 Ohm Speakers
18 AWG Speaker Wire16 feet24 feet32 feet
16 AWG Speaker Wire24 feet36 feet48 feet
14 AWG Speaker Wire40 feet60 feet80 feet
12 AWG Speaker Wire60 feet90 feet120 feet
10 AWG Speaker Wire100 feet150 feet200 feet
Thanks man. Yeah, I'm talking from the power amp to the cabs. I have Mogami short XLR cables from the Axe to the Matrix. I don't know about all the expensive cables and how much difference it makes, so I usually try to go above average quality (> Amazon Basics). Bookmarking the link you provided for future reference.

The most important thing is to use a realistic volume when setting the EQ. We have to be at stage volume, for a couple reasons, but it’s essential.

And, it’s easy to prove to ourselves why, simply by setting the EQ at a loud, stage, volume, then turn the volume down to something your girlfriend can watch TV on an iPad over without telling us to “turn it the F* down!”. The sound will be thin once turned down. And, conversely, setting the EQ at a low volume sounds terrible once it’s turned up. It’s Fletcher-Munson in action.

So adjust EQ at volume.
One of the best parts of being a homeowner is the ability to play loud, even at 2am. The sound doesn't travel enough to bother the neighbors. I used to when I was younger, get great tones from my Boogies, and then go to rehearse and it was like the guitar was gone from the mix. By itself it sounded great, but then the bass player was using those frequencies, lol. I just love how easy it is to tweak the Fractal, and usually more than 1 way to achieve something, with all the nuances. It really rejuvenated my playing when I got a Fractal. Even monotonous practice is good when you have all those lower gain and clean tones to choose from!

Forget it, I will look elsewhere. Why does it matter? Because it does to me for many reasons. I agree China is capable of making good products, the FM3 being one of them, and that USA products aren't always great. Case in point my Emotiva processor; nothing but trouble but made in the USA. But regardless of my reasons, I just want to know. Anyway, I won't ask more here. I just thought someone who owns an EV might know and let me know.

Forget it, I will look elsewhere. Why does it matter? Because it does to me for many reasons. I agree China is capable of making good products, the FM3 being one of them, and that USA products aren't always great. Case in point my Emotiva processor; nothing but trouble but made in the USA. But regardless of my reasons, I just want to know. Anyway, I won't ask more here. I just thought someone who owns an EV might know and let me know.

Yeah, it bugs me too, everything being built in China. It's just economics, they build stuff cheaper. I wish they could bring it all back, or move it to Korea, or Indonesia or some other country. I won't buy China built guitars, but I buy plenty of Chinese built goods, because it's hard to find some things that are built in the USA. There was a post on here about the origins of the FAS units. There are quite a few parts that are built in the US. As for my China built F12, it sounds great in my USA (my garage shop) built cab.

The FM3, FM9, FC12, FC6, and Axe-FX III are all made in China.
PARTS of them are made there.
"The chassis and some of the boards are made in China. The DSP module is made in Merrimack NH, USA." [24]
"Roughly 50% (by cost) of the Axe-Fx III is made in USA. The chassis and simpler circuit boards are made in China. The DSP module is made right here in NH. [25]
"The Axe-Fx III is about 50% domestic content. [26]
"The Axe-Fx III is assembled, programmed, inspected, and tested at our facility in New Hampshire." [30]
"Over 50% of the Axe-Fx III is made in the USA." [34]

Back
Top Bottom