FRFR speaker recommendation?

I love my Mission Engineering Gemini 2 Studio. It's likely overpriced considering there are cheaper options that also sound great. Remember, you can always "tune" your presets to your FRFR so they sound awesome. For example, the Gemini 2 can sound harsh with presets that have a lot of treble. So, I typically adjust parameters on my presets so they sound better with the FRFR cab.

According to the latest shootout at the German Axe Fest from May this year with about 12 different FRFRs (incl. Redsound), the RCF's are the winners. But they are quite costly.

I had a Friedman which sounded great but was too heavy to want to lug around. Went to a Headrush 112 that was fine - definitely lighter, but then then I found a Xitone which is light and completely blows the Headrush out of the water sound wise (for me). So happy I made the switch.

I also use a RCF NX-12SMA, however, I would really miss having 2x12's on stage.

Does anyone besides Mission make a 2x12 powered FRFR? Maybe having an open back would also give me a "larger" sound on stage?

Does VBoutique make a powered F12 version?
Sorry, you were asking about powered speakers, I don't think so, but seeing how I think they are built to the order, they might have an unlisted option for powered cabs.. I use a Matrix GT1000FX with mine. Really nice cabs, on my pair neither have any cosmetic imperfection. They sound so good it's hard not to just play guitar all the time.

Attachments

• IMG_1522.JPG
    IMG_1522.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I also use a RCF NX-12SMA, however, I would really miss having 2x12's on stage.

Does anyone besides Mission make a 2x12 powered FRFR? Maybe having an open back would also give me a "larger" sound on stage?
Xitone makes a 1x12 single 12" with a removable plate in the rear for open/closed back convertible.

Out of all the 1x12 and 2x12 FRFR cabs I've owned and played through, the Laney LFR-212 is the best, and is a 2x12.

Last two FRFR cabs I have left besides that and am selling are a Mission Gemini 2x12 Bluetooth and a Line 6 Powercab 1x12.

I love my Mission Engineering Gemini 2 Studio. It's likely overpriced considering there are cheaper options that also sound great. Remember, you can always "tune" your presets to your FRFR so they sound awesome. For example, the Gemini 2 can sound harsh with presets that have a lot of treble. So, I typically adjust parameters on my presets so they sound better with the FRFR cab.
I will echo this. I have two Atomic NEO CLRs and relied on those for years. But lately I have been using the Gemini 2x12 studio for live stuff. You have to use the Global Out and PEQ to get the bass and treble where you want it globally, but i like it very much. I like that it takes on the character of the IR used rather than one response on bass end.

I have heard good things about RCF and the Red Sound MF10s but not yet played through them.

Oh, regarding the Headrush 112…

People sing their praises because they're relatively loud for pretty cheap, but having had one and having listened to a friend who was using two of them, there's a night and day difference between them and a good powered PA speaker or dedicated FRFR. Once you're in the $800+ range for a cabinet the sound changes dramatically. My friend switched from his pair of 112s to QSC K12s, and when he powered them up and started noodling prior to a show I could hear the difference easily. The QSCs were clear, punchy, well balanced, and had a lot of extra volume to spare. They blended really well with my EVs when we'd play together. Just like with so many other things musical, the chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Buying a quality modeler and running it through a cheap speaker reduces the quality of the sound. And the only way to know is to try several different types and compare them. The thing about a good FRFR is it's like a chameleon, it can sound like so many other cabinets because it's designed to be transparent, and not color the sound.

I'm half a day's drive from L.A., and if I was looking for something I'd take the time to drive to Hollywood and nearby cities and hit several stores to compare different ones, then buy whichever I liked. It's worth the trouble.
I don't think it can be emphasized enough to hear as many as you can.... I had the headrush 1-112 because I was just stepping into the world of Fractal with a FM-3 and wanted to see if I liked it. As I saw I did want to use the Fractal over a tube amp and pedalboard gear, I read more and more reviews that can give me an idea, so I got the Friedmans as an upgrade based on the name and what was written about them in reviews.Some of that I can confirm, and much of it was like they were listening to something else but a Friedman. Same with the F-12 cabs... each time I have gotten lucky and wanted to keep the upgrades, but at this point I need to hear an EV or CLR before buying, Right now I am completely happy running the Friedman's and V-Botique cabs. Good luck and I hope you find something you love!

Last edited:
Laney LFR-212...

I've owned or played through about every FRFR known to mankind...
This is a bit surprising to me. I've had one for a few years, could never get it to sound right though. Cab setting sounds overly dark, FRFR sounds overly harsh. So basically I'm getting either harsh and/or muddy. There's also quite a bit of low end that I don't particularly like from it. I've gotten better results with traditional 7" studio monitors.

Oh, regarding the Headrush 112…

People sing their praises because they're relatively loud for pretty cheap, but having had one and having listened to a friend who was using two of them, there's a night and day difference between them and a good powered PA speaker or dedicated FRFR. Once you're in the $800+ range for a cabinet the sound changes dramatically. My friend switched from his pair of 112s to QSC K12s, and when he powered them up and started noodling prior to a show I could hear the difference easily. The QSCs were clear, punchy, well balanced, and had a lot of extra volume to spare. They blended really well with my EVs when we'd play together. Just like with so many other things musical, the chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Buying a quality modeler and running it through a cheap speaker reduces the quality of the sound. And the only way to know is to try several different types and compare them. The thing about a good FRFR is it's like a chameleon, it can sound like so many other cabinets because it's designed to be transparent, and not color the sound.

I'm half a day's drive from L.A., and if I was looking for something I'd take the time to drive to Hollywood and nearby cities and hit several stores to compare different ones, then buy whichever I liked. It's worth the trouble.
I have an EV ZLX12P which I assume would be similar to the EV you have. I haven't tried anything else, and was kicking around the idea of the QSC K12's. In your opinion, did the K12's sound similar to your EV's or do you think they sounded better/worse?

Back
Top Bottom