FRFR Quad Box

onemoreguitar said:
It's actually mono 3way. Mid and highs on one and lows on another. 4 core are the most common IME.

3-way? Then I'd definitely go for NL8 instead of 2 x NL4!
Not possible to make any mistakes that way with which cable goes where.
The connectors may be a bit more expensive but it's cheap insurance against wrong connections and more convenient as well.

S.R.

srooijens said:
onemoreguitar said:
It's actually mono 3way. Mid and highs on one and lows on another. 4 core are the most common IME.

3-way? Then I'd definitely go for NL8 instead of 2 x NL4!
Not possible to make any mistakes that way with which cable goes where.
The connectors may be a bit more expensive but it's cheap insurance against wrong connections and more convenient as well.

S.R.
+2 I concur. If you're against it anyway, I'd wire the woofer to 2+/2- on one cable, the tweeter to 1+/1- on the other cable, and the mid-driver to 2+/2- on the same cable as the tweeter. That way if you accidentally get it backwards, the woofer signal gets sent to the midrange speaker which might survive the mismatch, not the tweeter which won't. Also, color-code your cables. Something high-contrast so it's easy to see in the dark. The last thing you want is to mis-wire this right before the gig starts because you were running late and in a hurry.

I'm sticking with 4 core simply because they are very common. In Australia, if something isn't common and you have a failure, it can take a very long time to get a replacement. Everything will be well labeled. I'm nothing if not thorough.

We're currently looking at the final cabinet designs. We have a few to choose from. They all look really good and it's really coming down to portability and ease of use. They've all been modeled to fit the specs I was looking for. The standard quad shape is actually the most compromises sound wise. A mini stack, similar to a Marshall Haze is another option. There's also an option more like an Ampeg 6x10 and head... and there's a couple others. Just looking at things like what you can put on top of them, weight and the like. I'm leaning towards the Haze look at the moment. All the matched components have been delivered and are waiting to be put together. All the acoustic engineers are stoked with the numbers they're seeing in the different simulations. It's been tweaked quite a bit. 2 of these would be a crackin FOH for small to medium venues. They out spec most of what's currently available by a decent margin. That pretty much applies to all the designs we're choosing from. The front of the cabs will be covered with high density, acoustically neutral foam to keep out the dust and that will be covered by a metal mesh so they will hold up to extremely heavy use. One of my main cabs has a wicker grill cloth and I'm over having to be careful about things sitting on it and such. As good as it looks, it's not worth the hassle for heavy gigging.

There's going to be a single volume knob on the head between the crossover and the amps so that the AFX can run at a high level for good S/N ratio. The head will put out around a total 1700W RMS. Obviously I won't be using anywhere near that, but it's still there on tap. Can you say clean headroom? The speakers we have can safely handle the head at full power. We hadn't planned on amps that big, but I got a absolute steal on 2 great 2x800 power amps that are very warm and linear. They're from an old Australian amp company. It's actually funny how they used to sell them. To get a store to stock them, the man who built them would go to music shops, throw open the door, and launch his amp across the room. After he explained himself, he would pick the amp up off the floor, plug it in and show everyone that it still worked flawlessly.

There will be another small amp installed in the head for the highs. The crossover will also be in the head.

I'll get back to you when I know more. The designer is away on tour this week, but everything should be pumping by next week. I'll hopefully get it in time to use for a gig that following weekend.

Here's some pics. There's a ways to go, but you get the idea. There's a head that's yet to come. It will match everything else and will house the power amps and crossovers. It will also have a slant front.

This was the most versatile and highest spec'd design of the lot. The quad shaped unit had a much narrower frequency response and was heavier than what I was looking for. The frequency response will be capped from 30Hz-20kHz. It's actually capable of much more, but that will be it's cruising range. It'll handle anything you can throw at it. I gave up a bit in looks for versatility, portability and overall sound quality. It's a little ways from what I started out with, but every change was made in the name of FRFR. I'm still pretty happy with the final look. It will easily outstrip pretty much anything commercially available in sound, durability, and for the most part, looks.

One big plus is that the rig can be used with or without the bottom box, depending on the gig. If you don't need the extra low end or overall volume, you simply have a different setting for the crossover which will still give you quite a broad frequency response from the top box only. The horn and 12" were chosen for their ability to couple and work almost as one driver.

Well here's a blurb from the man building it.

Some info about the The "T.A Mark I":

*The "T.A Mark I" is a 3x way active, flat response, multi-purpose "cab" system, with a frequency range from 30Hz to 20Khz.

*300 Watts into this cab will give you 127db out.

*Total power handling capacity is 1,200 Watts RMS.

*The bins are powered by 1x HF driver (1 ½ inch) with a 300mm x 300mm biradial flair. Mid-driver (12inch) - 300 Watt RMS driver. Low-frequency driver (18inch)- 1x 600 Watt RMS driver.

*This "cab" system was inspired by *&^%#* #%&$*#$ from Dallas Texas and built by Headroom Sound Australia.

More info to come after field testing is completed.

Well here's the pics. It's obviously very early in the build process. I'll post more pics as I get them.

123009.jpg

123001.jpg

TALL_POPPIES.jpg

This is sort of the final exterior look I'm going for.

4x12cab.jpg

The major difference is there will be foam behind the grill to keep the speakers clean. IMO those were the best quads that Boogie ever made.

I did about 5 hours of testing today. Aesthetically it's a bit bigger than what I was wanting and was slightly bummed..... and then I plugged the Axe-FX into it. All I can say is DAMN!!! This thing sounds killer. I was in a horrible room. The box was flat as a tack and then I put the AFX into it. Perfect feedback. Sweet, controllable, extremely natural. Low end chunk... no worries. The horn is amazing. It's got massive dispersion and extremely smooth top end. The entire top box couples brilliantly and sounds like one speaker. The first separation I heard was with my ear around 8in off the join of the horn and 12in. SPL.... let's just say when it was cranked up a bit (still not working much), I couldn't hear myself yelling in my own head. It's bloody loud!!! It also works well at low volumes. Really fills a space.

I tried a few patches I built on my Genelecs. Sounded spot on. I built a number of them from scratch. Sounded killer. Acoustic, Electric, Bass, COSM guitars from the VG-99. All a big winner. That horn and 12 combo is a match made in heaven. The guy who designed it is redesigning a number of his boxes to incorporate what he found with this box. Unfortunately one of the factors controlling the size of the box is the length of the horn. It's a big horn.

As big as the box is, it's actually surprisingly light. Way less than what you expect based on it's dimensions. It's about the size (in total) of those old wardrobe looking Tannoy studio room monitors... just a bit narrower.

The head will be built this week. It will match the rest of the unit. The amps and crossover should be hidden away by a grill, the same as the cabs, with foam behind it. I decided on recessed, flip out metal handles on all 3 pieces. Very functional and they keep a clean look.

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy. I've now got him working on 2 much smaller boxes (they don't need as much bass response). To use as the wet boxes in a W/D/W rig. We'll see what he comes up with. It'll be pretty hard to match the quality sound of that horn and 12 combo.

Wow, they look great!

Questions:

No port on the high/mid box?

Where's the Sub crossed-over at?

Congrats!

rsf1977 said:
what happened to the quad box? Kinda looks like PA speaker enclosures?

The science didn't work. I had a number of designs to choose from. The "quad" style was sonically the weakest by a fair bit. It was also quite heavy. Separating it into 2 boxes solved the weight issue. Going with that shape meant I could use that particular horn, which is one of the reasons the box sounds so good. The horn is extremely big. 2 pieces also meant I could just take the top box for smaller gigs. That being said, the sub adds a lot of the room filling presence (not like the amp control). I tried it with and without the sub. The thing with the sub is, it's not just low end flubb, it's very defined, punchy, clear bass. I have an acoustic gig I do. Sort of a storytellers thing. I'll be using the whole stack for that gig. Even at low volumes, that effortless bass presence sounds great. With a Mama Bear IR and that sub, you get that nice bass swell from the plugged acoustic that you get off the body of the guitar unplugged. It's not over the top or out of control. It's just nice.

I just realized I hadn't posted the pics in this thread. Have a look at that horn. The flare that extends past the attachment point sticks out a solid 4in. The magnet is also really big. Look at the unloaded box. For reference, that lower speaker in the top box is a 12in. Now look at the size of the circle in the box behind the square for the horn. That is a support for the magnet. It's a big magnet.

123003.jpg

Basically I had a list of criteria sound wise and look wise. The designs that had it look wise, lost a considerable amount in the sound. This particular one got the sound spot on. I decided to go for sound instead of looks. Like I said, I was a little disappointed at the look, until I heard what it sounded like. It really does sound incredible. FWIW, the dimensions of the box seem to be about the same as my Genelecs, only blown up. The seem the have roughly the same ratio of width - height - depth. I haven't done any measurements, it's just an off the cuff observation.

FYI: That speaker combo is made to work together. That type of horn, in particular, is a rarity. The old JBL biradials were great, but had a lot of issues. This one solves almost all the issues inherent in the old biradial designs. You can't see what's going on there without seeing a cross section (it's a proprietary design so you're not going to), but let's just say it's not a straight forward horn. There's a lot going on in there.

DJD100 said:
Wow, they look great!

Questions:

No port on the high/mid box?

Where's the Sub crossed-over at?

Congrats!

Glad you like them. The head should help the look quite a bit. It'll be a slant front head with a panel that hides the amps and crossover.

That particular speaker (12) was chosen mainly because of the way it couples with the horn. It likes to work in a sealed inclosure. With this combination there is no audible separation between the horn and 12.

I can't remember the exact crossover frequency, but a D5 (open shape) will get some added thump. I know all the crossovers have a smooth slope with a fair bit of overlap.

BTW: The box hasn't been set in open air yet. I don't have an anechoic chamber so open air will have to do. In short, there's some fine tuning still to go.

Look wise, the grills are still to go on. There will be sonically transparent foam behind them, so the speakers will not be seen. It's actually to keep the dust and other nasties away from the speakers. The grill is a steel honeycomb with 6mm holes. I tried to get some photos yesterday, but the light was too low by the time I thought about it. I was having too much fun playing through it and lost track of time. Try photographing different textures of black in low light.

One major plus of this box is stage bleed isn't really a problem. The dispersion is so wide that everyone in the room will easily be in the sweet spot. It's also the ideal sound so it's not going to be fighting with the FOH sound like a conventional box. It will merely blend with it.

On a side note... The designer is now seriously considering copying my rig from the top down after hearing what it can do with that box. He's already redesigning some of his system to incorporate that horn and 12 combo. It's way bigger than what he was going for as well, but as he said "it just sounds way too good to not use it."

Also keep in mind, this thing is only idling. It does everything fairly effortlessly. It's built like brick sh*t house and all the speakers are extremely durable and have protection built in. It would take a monumental effort to break them. That's one of the things I was gong for. I'll be handing this thing down to my kids one day.

I should have the box complete with the head this week. The head is going to take some designing. It's just a fancy rack case, but I want it to look good. BTW, the cab is the width of my SKB Rack.

The head looks great. My only issue with it is the weight. The power amp I chose weighs a ton. OTOH, it also sounds amazing and is extremely reliable. I've try out a few different power amps, but this one really does sound better. I'll probably change it out later with a Phase Linear copy later on. I know a guy who builds them from scratch and I'm looking at having him build me a 3 channel unit. The current setup is an SLA-2 on the horn and an Australian Monitor SY1600 on the mid and sub. I scored 2 of the Aussie Monitors secondhand for an absolute steal. They're a great power amp, but they are heavy. I also have a Behringer Ultra Drive as the crossover. Don't let the B word fool you. They're actually quite a good unit.

IMG_0095.jpg

This thing can keep up with or even overtake a standard quad or stack if required. It also works well at low volumes. So far I've gigged with it as a bass rig, electric rig and an acoustic rig. It excelled at all. I've also used it as a PA for rehearsals in my garage (just bought a JamHub so that won't be happening anymore). I'm currently working on a smaller version. It still won't be exactly like a quad, but it will be getting closer. I've always had different rigs for different situations. I look at FRFR in the same way. This one looks very cool on stage, but it is too big for some situations. I don't come across situations where it is too big very often, so this is still my go to rig. I've had nothing but compliments about the sound. I was already getting that with the AFX recorded, but live, FRFR wasn't really cutting it. This one has added that "in the room" feel (I know that's been way overused on this forum) that was lacking. I found one of the things that contributed to that the most is the addition of the sub. It really adds that cabinet "resonance" that was lacking before. It also makes drop tuned riffage thump you in the chest.

I've also run it alongside my Genelecs (well one of them in mono for a better comparison). I put through a couple tracks that I find really bring out the mud in a lot of systems. 2 of the ones I use the most are Battles We Have Won by Eric Johnson ( or anything off of Venus Isle) and Hotel California (the Hell Freezes Over version). I find that bad systems can't reproduce the separation between the instruments and the low end just tuns to mud on those tracks in particular. Not a problem for the Crushinator (so dubbed by my wife, a Futurama reference... a lot of my gear is named for easy identification and that name stuck :ugeek: :D ). Each instrument had very good separation and the low end was tight and controlled, in other words, and accurate reproduction. Anyways, I love it. I can go IEM if I need to, go the big rig, or soon, go with a medium rig. All with the same great sound. I think my next upgrade will be some Ultimate Ears or Sensaphonics. Not sure which yet. I'd love to go for the Ultimate Ears sound quality, but I really like the Sensaphonics ambient mixer.

Well, some. I also go IEM and sometimes just use the stage monitor. Depends on the situation. The head is actually the only heavy part and it should get lighter with the new power amp. That one amp is really the only thing tipping the scale, but it's a really good amp that I got for a really good price. A rich banker friend of a friend got the hard word from his wife. She was tired of all his unused Other than that, it's pretty light. I'll also have a smaller version soon as well. Something for every occasion. Taking fewer guitars or downsizing my pedal board would actual affect my load in/out more than downsizing the box, but that's not gonna happen so the box doesn't bother me, especially considering how good it sounds. My onstage sound is now as good as my FOH sound, if not better. It's not sweetening the sound in any way, just accurately reproducing the tones I built on my studio monitors. I tried using it without the sub when I was first experimenting. The 12" is capable of going way lower than needed for standard tuned guitar, but that thump wasn't there. The 18" is capable of going way higher than than most so it's working well into the guitar's register. The crossover point between the 12 and 18 is set pretty high with a very gradual slope with heaps of crossover frequencies. It makes for a very good backline, even at high volumes. It already sounds good for the audience, now it sounds good for me too. Because there is no beaming and the sound quality is so high, stage bleed isn't an issue.

What's the point of all this tonal bliss if I ain't gettin any of it? Add in the fact that I can have my entire rig (Crushinator, AFX, VG-99, pedal board, minimum 4 guitars, sometimes mandolin and soon midi sax) set up and ready to go, line check and all, in less time than it takes for any guitarist with a conventional rig to get his amp sounding good.

Back
Top Bottom