FRFR hiss

Oscarraap

Hello, I have a tech question. I bought Mackie XR 624 monitors to replace my Yamaha HS7.
I noticed right away that the tweeter of the Mackie is making a hissing noise. Even if there is no source connected.

The yamaha also has some noise but not as much as the Mackie does.

Is this normal for active monitors? When I play music I cant hear it, but I assume the noise is still there in the background. This can only be detrimental to sound quality, right? I mean, if this is due to poor build quality then I am quite shocked. I mean 469 euro list price is not nothing. I bought them for 365 a piece.

Does anyone have exerience with this? What could be wrong?

Thanks?

Some speakers do this at audible levels in quiet rooms. Most speakers make some sort of noise. I don’t know that speaker exactly, but I do know that that is within spec of some models.

Not uncommon for many monitors in quiet rooms. Lots of people can’t even hear it, and obviously when your playing you can’t hear it, but I’ve sold or returned some brands due to hiss being a bit too loud and annoying

Just the nature of amplification really, usually lower end offerings and power amps do it a little more

Thx for responses, well Im just a hobbyist, but I can hear it from 2 metres away. Perhaps the xr 624 is not quite the very high end, but they certainly cost double compared to HS7. Im not at all impressed.

Thx for responses, well Im just a hobbyist, but I can hear it from 2 metres away. Perhaps the xr 624 is not quite the very high end, but they certainly cost double compared to HS7. Im not at all impressed.
There a review on Amazon for the XR 624’s that mentions the same issue.

How do they otherwise sound ? I had HR824's which I really liked

Have you tried reducing the 'Input Sensitivity' on the Mackies, and increasing the output of whatever is plugged into them?

Have you tried reducing the 'Input Sensitivity' on the Mackies, and increasing the output of whatever is plugged into them?

100%. And if we're talking about connecting to an Axe or other Fractal gear, make sure it's set to output +4dB (not -10). You'll generally get the best signal to noise to run your Axe near full output and set your monitor's input sensitivity as low as possible. I haven't tried the XR 624, but many powered monitor hiss noticeably at higher input levels.

Thanks very much everybody for suggestions. Yes I use AXE FX2XL output 1 as source. I use new XLR cables. I will check axe output setting +4. But even if I disconnect the AXE, the monitor still makes noise, so Im not sure if AXE settings will help.

I tried input sensitivity up and down (while disconnected to any source), but the noise doesnt get any better or worse. Oddly, it stays thesame both ways.

I was listening to some music with soft passages and I could hear the noise coming through in the background. I estimate the noise to be twice as loud as the Yamaha HS7, with thesame AXE settings and connections.

I do like the bass response and smooth highs, but the amps must be poor quality.

So unless the AXE settings deliver dramatic improvement, these monitors are going back. I will let you know.

Thanks again!

100%. And if we're talking about connecting to an Axe or other Fractal gear, make sure it's set to output +4dB (not -10). You'll generally get the best signal to noise to run your Axe near full output and set your monitor's input sensitivity as low as possible. I haven't tried the XR 624, but many powered monitor hiss noticeably at higher input levels.
i ve been looking at the axe manual...where can I find the +4 setting?

Is there a possibility of something in the room causing this hiss, If you still hear it with the input turned down? Maybe try them in another room?

Back
Top Bottom