FRFR for my brand new AX8, help please

FRFR AX8

• Total voters

J.DavidAX8

I know that is a repeated question in the forum, but im freshman in that amazing parallel Fractal universe, and nearby galaxies like monitors, DAWs, interfaces, untold kind of wires, conexions, adaptors. All I know has been learned in the last year. Eve by reading answers in another threads, sometimes i can't understand, too advance for my knowledge. But I have 3 things, willpower, determination and the best, holydays until 21th July to make real that dream, forget about the written above, and let come trought the inspiration by just play ( I know a have a long tweaking way still to do) the mostly of the 2 hours practice im gonna do DAILY when back to work. Problaby I'm the worst guitar player in the world owning a Fractal, because of my skills I still don't deserve it.

Summary of my background:
I'm 26 y old, started to play at 13, intensively for 2 years. Left it almost completely ( time machine please hehe),. Three years ago I moved to London from spain and 1 ago I returned to guitar.
To avoid a guitar amp in bedroom (I still have an Marshall AVT 20 which im gonna ship from my hometown to London), I went for amplitube 3 after buy and refund the boss GT-100. Line 6 toneport ux2 and ( big mistake after all) KRK Rokit 5. Enjoyed all, but then I realised that my laptop ( Asus i3 2.53GHZ and 4 G ram) is not power enough to handle Amplitube 3 in high-specs.
That made research again and find two magic words: Fractal and Kemper.

Then I understood that Kemper worth more for those lucky people who already own few tube amps and want to carry portable their tones. So... Fractal audio was my choice, and for my needs, Ax8 rather than FX 2. I joined to the list on 31th of may and got it delivered from myself hahaha ( I'm UPS courier that's why, I should haven taken a pic of that moment and posted here, laughs assured) on monday 4th.

The first day was a bit frustrating because like in amplitube 3, the KRK's 5 are too boomy and doesn't sound defined with distortions and/or high gain amps. Best result I had in Ax8 and amplitube were from the same, clean amps sound after tweak down the bass. Bad feeling if you join that to the fact of don't know at all use a fractal. Next day I bought that conector as I read in the forum, thanks.

With that I could plug in stereo my cheap Senheiser HD 201 check that Ax8 is a killer device and breathe again. I will need a headphones also, next story after I achieve to sort the speakers.

Two days ago I posted in gumtree my Rokits and yesterday were sold, a B-Boy producer fell in love with its boomy benefits. He phoned me like 10 minutes after buy the Fremen presets aaaaaaarrrh I just could hear the Lonestar and The Dumble, OMG. So, now with some fresh cash in the pocket the question is...

Which speakers should I buy?
That time I'd like to do the right choice, my budget is not fix, I willing to pay between 200 and 800 £,$,€, whatever. Brexit came in the worst moment to me btw haha. Im not gonna ruin my fractal experience after splash the cash on it for now save few bucks, neither buy a monster tweaked in 1 of 10 mosly of the time. Because im on holidays I can even get benefit from the refund policy of webpages if I dont like the speakers. They are gonna be played in a 4x4 metres bedroom ( KRK normally in 1 quarter of volume). After read that I understand that FRFR is what I should go after
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/stupid-question-what-is-frfr.719144/
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...stereo-frfr-for-home-use.114624/#post-1388685
And by reading related threads from other AX8 users I learnt a bit about it and narrowed my search to the followings:
Adam Ax5 - £630 or Adam Ax3 £418
Yamaha HS5 - £259 or £310
Equator DS5 MK2 £409
Alto TS 210 £219. Were recommended to me by another user cause I also mentioned my future intention to do some busking http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/busking-with-the-ax8.115765/#post-1383652
Then some new names to me that seem to be the best for Fractal: Matrix, Atomic CLR, Genelec,etc
Again after dive in the most of threads I found few claims from other users that I would like to have clear before decide.
THE SIZE. Is true that in some models like Yamaha HS5 to HS7, not only change the power, also the quality? If true, does it happen with Adam Ax3 and Ax5?
VOLUME. I have the experience of rokit but i dont think so. Does active monitors behave like guitar tube amps, you need to play a some point volume for achieve it best quality. If is like that doesnt make sense to make go for a bigger than 5, unless the question 1 were truth.
STYLE OF MUSIC. Are better speakers from clean rather than distortions and the other way round?
CONEXION. Because im new in fractal and I dont kow yet all it possibilities, is any specific conexion that my new speakers should have as a must. With rokits in AX8 the conexion was XLR to JACK.
INTERFACE. I have read that the best conexion with AX8 is trough S PDIF, whch I dont have yet ( any brand recommended). The use is gonna have at the moment is just play music from spotify, youtube, backing tracks from computer, and make it sound together with the AX8 through the speakers. Imagine how amateur I am that I have never user a recording software, I will learn, but at the moment I have enough with that haha.
If you have spent your time by reading all this, let me say 20160709_134855.jpg
AMEN!!!

The day I have everything fully working all the rig I will open the chocolates, that came as gift in with AX8 ( probably just for european customers) hehehe

Attachments

• 20160709_120702.jpg
    20160709_120702.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I would think any of those studio monitors would work. Do you have any music stores around you where you can buy it and return it in a few weeks? If you are looking for a FRFR PA speaker, those are a lot louder and hard to use in an apartment.

I'd recommend the Adam monitors. Use a balanced XLR connection if possible.

Also, the AX8 will inspire your playing :) My AxeFX has definitely made me a better player. I practice more, and the accurate tones of the models have really rewarded better technique. I've had to improve my playing to make the best use of the dynamics and response. I've played professionally for a long time, and the AxeFX is the best gear purchase I have ever made.

I'd recommend the Adam monitors. Use a balanced XLR connection if possible.

Also, the AX8 will inspire your playing :) My AxeFX has definitely made me a better player. I practice more, and the accurate tones of the models have really rewarded better technique. I've had to improve my playing to make the best use of the dynamics and response. I've played professionally for a long time, and the AxeFX is the best gear purchase I have ever made.
Im planning to go to a shop a soon as I received the pedaltrain case ( Between classic 2 and novo 24) to carry safe the baby hehehe.
About the Adam. Thinking between Ax3 or Ax5, the fact is that playing at my room I have always played my rokits in 1 quarter of volume and as the top.
Won't the Ax5 give the best perfomance from what they are able to do if I play at low volumes? Or it doesn't have any infuence at all?
I mean I realised the Ax3 actually because they are 4.5 woofer vs 5.5 in the Ax5
If somehow Ax5 gives better sound even being played at same volume than Ax3, I would happy assume the extracost of £170 ( $221), otherwise it is like waste money and have worst sound on top.
Then in frequencies both reach 50 KHZ ( I have read in the forum that the trebles are clear, so I hope distortions and high gain will be a pleasure, opposite than my KRK 5'S) in the other hand Ax3 have less low 60 HZ against 50 KHZ.
That make think that Ax3 are not gonna be boomy like KRK, or I am grong and this is because of the different quality of brands. Altought KRK are 35HZ.
Sorry for my ignorance, probably these things are very obvious. Just I do like to make sure that im not going wrong or at least I do a choice with more knowledge. Thanks for that forum!!!

My general recommendation for gear purchase decisions is "you will never regret getting great equipment". When I bought the AxeFX, it was a significant investment. I knew there were less expensive options from other manufacturers, but the AxeFX has a well-deserved reputation as the top of the line system. I also knew that it would keep its value if I ever decided to sell it. It's been a total love affair for me. My AxeFX is the best gear purchase of my professional music career.

The Adams will be very clear, regardless of the model you choose. The larger woofer in the Ax5 might have some advantages in smoother rolloff on the lower frequencies below 50Hz. Speaker manufacturers will cite a frequency capability of (something very low) to (something 25KHz or higher). But most of the time they're really not very linear across that entire range. If you look at the actual response of the speakers, the low frequencies are significantly attenuated versus the "usable" range of the speaker; and the high frequencies do the same. Then there's the THD side of the equation. As you indicated, some monitors can be flabby or harsh sounding. A pro-level monitor system requires a carefully engineered approach to component and amplification design. It comes at a price, but it's really worth it.

Adam monitors have a nice, flat linear response across most of their range, and they're very smooth *and truthful* sounding. They're popular in pro studios because of their clarity and power handling. I think they'd be a great choice for monitoring your AX8 at any volume level, and if for some reason you change your mind down the road, the Adams will hold a lot of their value for resale.

My general recommendation for gear purchase decisions is "you will never regret getting great equipment". When I bought the AxeFX, it was a significant investment. I knew there were less expensive options from other manufacturers, but the AxeFX has a well-deserved reputation as the top of the line system. I also knew that it would keep its value if I ever decided to sell it. It's been a total love affair for me. My AxeFX is the best gear purchase of my professional music career.

The Adams will be very clear, regardless of the model you choose. The larger woofer in the Ax5 might have some advantages in smoother rolloff on the lower frequencies below 50Hz. Speaker manufacturers will cite a frequency capability of (something very low) to (something 25KHz or higher). But most of the time they're really not very linear across that entire range. If you look at the actual response of the speakers, the low frequencies are significantly attenuated versus the "usable" range of the speaker; and the high frequencies do the same. Then there's the THD side of the equation. As you indicated, some monitors can be flabby or harsh sounding. A pro-level monitor system requires a carefully engineered approach to component and amplification design. It comes at a price, but it's really worth it.

Adam monitors have a nice, flat linear response across most of their range, and they're very smooth *and truthful* sounding. They're popular in pro studios because of their clarity and power handling. I think they'd be a great choice for monitoring your AX8 at any volume level, and if for some reason you change your mind down the road, the Adams will hold a lot of their value for resale.
That is a great technical explanation, now after know what THD+N is. I have the final question before get one or the other:
  • Ax5 THD 90dB/1m > 100 Hz: 0.6
  • Ax3 THD 90dB/1m > 100 Hz 0.8
From that data I understand than the louder are played the more noticeable is that 0.2 extradistorsion. So if mostly of the time I will be playing at lower volumes than 90 dB the differennce will be even smaller. Am I right?
Thanks very much

I just got a used pair of Adam A7s for a great price (about the same as a pair of A3x's)

One thing to consider is the level, you can achieve with the monitors. It is OK to play at soft volumes every once in a while, but for critical tone shaping, you need to turn it up - at least to a level, where you cannot hear the acoustic sound of the strings. I doubt, the A3x's would be able to do that.

From that list, I would absolutely go with the Genelecs. I have a different model of Genelecs and they are incredible. Adam would be a very good second choice - the A7 is the one to get.

That is a great technical explanation, now after know what THD+N is. I have the final question before get one or the other:
  • Ax5 THD 90dB/1m > 100 Hz: 0.6
  • Ax3 THD 90dB/1m > 100 Hz 0.8
From that data I understand than the louder are played the more noticeable is that 0.2 extradistorsion. So if mostly of the time I will be playing at lower volumes than 90 dB the differennce will be even smaller. Am I right?
Thanks very much
THD that is less than 1% is generally considered "unnoticeable" by most studio users. There will some who argue they have golden ears and can hear it, and that's awesome if they can :) At any rate, the difference between 0.6% and 0.8% is negligible, and you'd need an oscilloscope to detect it. The reason I'd be tempted to go with the larger driver is that it will be capable of moving more air, and thus will probably be a little smoother at moderate volume and upward.

Finally I placed an order and the choiced has been Ax3. As I am in holidays, I have 9 left and the return policy allow up to14 days, If they are not enough I can go for Ax5, besides I will receive the pedaltrain classic 2 in the next days. In the meantime my task is tweak and learn the Ax8, fully test it with Ax3 and gather criteria for test AX5 or another brands at local shops. I will update here about it. Many thanks everyone!!!

I just got a used pair of Adam A7s for a great price (about the same as a pair of A3x's)

One thing to consider is the level, you can achieve with the monitors. It is OK to play at soft volumes every once in a while, but for critical tone shaping, you need to turn it up - at least to a level, where you cannot hear the acoustic sound of the strings. I doubt, the A3x's would be able to do that.

Hello guys, I have the Adam A3, I tried it, and definitely they are not big enough.
As you very well advised me, they clarity of sound is very good, but only at very low volumes. If I turn up a little bit the low frequency become unclear and uncontrollabe. They are like pc speakers hehehe. Now cause he refund is free service, I'm going to refund and now I doubt between Adam a5x and Yamaha HS7 ( top voted in the survey hehe).I went to test in a shop Adam a5x but they didnt have HS7 or Equator DS5. I could notice that the Adam A5x sound better at the same low volume as in A3x, and soooo much better at medium and high levels. That make me have a new question. Does a 7 inches driver have that benefir over 5 inches driver, regardless the model? Which one do you reckon guys is better in terms of enjoy the sound of Axe Ax8? Thanks very much.

I don't necessarily think it is a matter of driver size. But usually the amps in the small driver monitors have much lower wattage than large driver monitors

I was at Sam Ash the other day looking at the same monitors on this list. The guy in the sound room demo'd them all, then the Presonus R65 (6.8" speaker). R series is up a level from their Eris series. I was very impressed, and it needed no subwoofer, as did the others on your list. It's worth a look/listen.

I was at Sam Ash the other day looking at the same monitors on this list. The guy in the sound room demo'd them all, then the Presonus R65 (6.8" speaker). R series is up a level from their Eris series. I was very impressed, and it needed no subwoofer, as did the others on your list. It's worth a look/listen.
Cheers,
I will call tomorrow to my local store to check wether they are available to test it.
Did you try with axe connected or just playing music? Cheers

In another hand. When I went to try A5x, they were connected xlr to xlr, instead xlr (speaker) to jack (Ax8) as I was doing. Does make any difference? Better sound quality or same?

Back
Top Bottom