FRFR Expert Knowledge and Advice

Devster

Inspired
I had published a thread in the AX8 forum as I was going to be playing a couple of bigger gigs and needed some advice about my set up.

I normally use a Matrix GTX1000 into the speaker of a combo cab at our usual venue.

One bigger gig was straight into the front of a JCM900 and the other DI from the output of my AX8.

My tone was fizzy into the JCM because I had PWR AMP ON and CAB OFF. I set up some presets with CAB ON and the tone was better with the DI setup. I had to duplicate presets though and modify the levels because I normally have CAB OFF.

To make things simple I want to try to use FRFR. I can then take it to the gig when playing our usual venue, and also go straight to the PA for bigger events and the tones should be pretty close.

I played the Yamaha DXR10 yesterday. Tone was ok but it is very $$ here in Hong Kong. It’s also pretty heavy. I am not keen to spend another USD690 on a speaker. Also played a Mackie which I did not like.

The other options I was looking at are Alto TS212 and EV ELX 112 or ZLX 12P. I’m hoping this will give me a taste of the FRFR experience without breaking the bank. These are all around USD400 shipped.

Which of these 3 (or another similar option) would you recommend. Portability is an issue here as well.

Thanks

I have previously owned an Atomic CLR (the defacto best FRFR for Fractal products) and now own a new Alto TS212, I was able to A/B them at very high SPL and I can confidently tell you that the TS212 can be 90% of what the CLR is for ~1/3 the price. Like always you should demo them as loudly as you'll use it and with solid reference material. The dispersion angle of the CLR is better but depending on your use you will likely find it to be a great monitor for yourself and given the price (for when you can't run to PA) you could have a second one as backline.

Thanks the input.

I know this topic has been done to death but I feel like I have read all previous posts and just want to get some more real world experience like Dazzl113 provided.

Looks like I might be able to sell an axe so some more $$ In the pot.

Yamaha DXR 10 or Matrix FR10 ????

The Matrix is about USD100 more.

Need volume for small club gigs with the FRFR alone (not through PA)

Rock on.

Could do but want to have minimal gear. I would like to only carry (by hand!) an axe, the AX-8 and a cab rather than the previous and an additional case containing the GTX1000.

Could do but want to have minimal gear. I would like to only carry (by hand!) an axe, the AX-8 and a cab rather than the previous and an additional case containing the GTX1000.
Sorry... I skipped over the AX-8 part, I guess. I saw Matrix amp and my brain went straight to Axe Fx:)

Though I've not personally used either - there is great info/feedback on both on this forum. That said, the specs both in terms of power, driver size and frequency response is better on the DXR10's, so SPL (volume) the DXR will give you more. The DXR10 form factor is more convenient as a gigging monitor, as you can tell the matrix is to appeal more to your traditional guitar cab sensibilities. For me - I'd choose the 1 or 2 of the DXRs. Just overall more of everything.

...the specs both in terms of power, driver size and frequency response is better on the DXR10's, so SPL (volume) the DXR will give you more...For me - I'd choose the 1 or 2 of the DXRs. Just overall more of everything.
I'd want to hear them both side by side before making that call. "Better on paper" isn't always better in real life. :)

I'd want to hear them both side by side before making that call. "Better on paper" isn't always better in real life. :)
I don't disagree one bit with that advice - everyone's ears hear/perceive differently. I was just stating opinion that on paper I'd go for the DXR's, upon demoing both, who knows.

I have previously owned an Atomic CLR (the defacto best FRFR for Fractal products) and now own a new Alto TS212, I was able to A/B them at very high SPL and I can confidently tell you that the TS212 can be 90% of what the CLR is for ~1/3 the price. Like always you should demo them as loudly as you'll use it and with solid reference material. The dispersion angle of the CLR is better but depending on your use you will likely find it to be a great monitor for yourself and given the price (for when you can't run to PA) you could have a second one as backline.
I have been thinking about getting the Alto TS212 for my AX8 as a personal monitor and to help me level my sounds. How has it held up for you?

Though I'm not gigging heavily - it has been great thus far. I have used it for a few house parties for music playback as well. Frankly for $249 its a ridiculous value.

Back
Top Bottom