FRFR do I need to exaggerate my fx

andyp13

Power User
i used an FRFR (Q12) lastnight for my backline (as previously discussed in 'horror of horrors' thread.
I felt my rhythm sound was ok but my solo sound (using the AC in front of the shiver clean) was to thick, fat with no cut, though I thought I would just need to do some adjustments to sort that out.
When I asked the guys in the band what they thought I was told it sounded 'dead and lifeless' and the sax player commented how it sounded 'narrow' compaired with my guitar cab (also a 1x12) which sounded much 'wider' and had much more life and sparkle.
I did not do anything other than take my normal setting and put in a cab dim (12" brown sound) and adjusted the cab sim settings to reduce the top end and the bottom end. The reverb and slapback delay seemed less to me.
I was a bit gutted as I felt my rhythm sound was ok - but the consus was it was dead and lifeless- any ideas?

Needs EQ'ing...that's all. I have to EQ my FRFR's, as they exhibit some undesirable audio characteristics without it, and so I used a Global EQ block to do that.

Bottom line is that FRFR's are generally not that at all. They are all colored to some extent.

They are never totally flat - and I'd go as far as saying that many are not even close to that but, that can all be addressed using EQ and rolloff tweaking...

I have gotten mine to sound much closer to what I want, than when I 1st got them. It just takes a lot of patience and tweaking.

Back
Top Bottom