FRFR CABs VS Traditional Cab music capability.

mairinsea

I'm still up the air with where my money should go.

I've spent a lot of time researching the FRFR cabs but I can't seem to get an answer as to how "heavy" a music they can handle. I don't believe that I've seen any posts in regard to this type of music either.

The clarity seems magnificent, but can they stand up to the deep "boomy, heavy" sound of a 4x12 with Celestions v30s?
Most of what I've written is in Eb but if I feel like dropping to C# or lower (-which I'm starting to do more frequently) writing ambient funeral doom type of music - so it's crushingly heavy and loud as all hell, things fall of off shelves and it's painful. Can FRFRs (Atomic / Xitone) produce this type of sound, effect, feeling?

I only need one solution, I don't want to move around two FRFR cabs and a Sub.

Thanks and cheers.

AccuGroove FRFR cabs will reproduce the Low B of a bass guitar at tremendous volumes as well as simultaneously handling the rest of the spectrum.. They're not going to have any problem reproducing anything coming from a guitar. I don't think there is anything else on the market that can do what they do.

If you really want to hear the full power of an AxeFx, AccuGroove can do it. The Estate model will blow away any 4x12 guitar cab.

Considering V30s drop off a cliff below 110hz the question is nonsensical.

Not to mention the Xmax of a guitar speaker can be 3-4 times less when compared to a driver that is designed to work in a full range environment.

I've played next to guys with cranked 412's on stage with one Atomic CLR and various other more general "PA" speakers and the answer is yes - an FRFR cab can stand up.

I can argue that with paragraphs or better yet just demonstrate it in person sometime if you prefer. Hopefully you can find someone that knows how to setup tones and has a quality FRFR sort of setup to allow you to know. Until you hear it done, no amount of convincing will change your mind.

Listening to RUSH Caress of Steel through my CLRs right now.

It's awesome! Very close to our nice home theater system. Not quite as sweet sounding, in other words flatter, like they should be (very revealing in fact); bass is not quite as a strong, particularly the sub bass frequencies, but I'm not lacking much at all.

I really enjoy listening to music through the CLRs. The Xitone 2x12s I had were right there, and were capable of reaching a little lower.

One 2x12 Xitone may be the solution you're looking for (passive).

I have to agree with this. I have a XiTone 212 passive and I consistently get compliments from my band mates on how even yet aggressive my tone is. We do Eb full time and I use a RingMod and octaver. I've never played an accurate product so I can't chime in on that comment but I will say this until I'm blue in the face.:
Xitone cabs are a finish line for the Axefx and you simply cannot be disappointed in their performance. Real cab feel, FRFR capabilities... Sturdiest built can there is..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the kind comments! Much appreciated!

The XiTone 2x12 does pack quite a bit of punch and it likes power! If you feed it plenty of them little wattage thingies it'll dance for ya real pretty! :)

It is a 500w RMS / 1000w Program cab so it'll take it!

Please do not hesitate to ask any further questions.

Thanks,

Mick

I use a D&B Max 12 Coax with a D&B Amp. The package is a bit heavy but still lighter than a guitar amp with a 4x12. I can definitely compete with ANYTHING, much to the dismay of my FOH engineer. I usually have to keep it down, but my Amp volume is set to 4/10 and my Axe output set to 25% and I'm still too loud for my drummer!

The clarity level has definitely been addressed and I do appreciate all of the input you all have given.
I think the bass is what I'm mostly trying to get an answer for, I don't know how many of you have listen to or play funeral doom metal. It's extremely low tuned and loud - this is the capability I need to achieve. Close to 70db tuned down to F#, yes ridiculous - but it's what I want the ability to do if I feel so inclined lol.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who uses FRFR's to give any a real listen.

Any good FRFR solution should not have any problem reproducing F# tuning at 70 dB and if they do then add a sub.

I own 2 of the Xitone passive 1x12 cabs and they are glorious sounding, very well built products and a great frfr solution! I'm pretty sure they can get loud enough to peel paint also. On top of that Mick is a great guy and very easy to deal with so check him out if you go frfr.

That being said, I have been using 4x12 cabinets for the better part of 30 years and personally I just don't think any frfr solution is going to pound you in the chest like a good 4x12 being pushed hard. I'm not sure if it's the narrow frequency band of the 4x12 or what it is but it just seem that I can "Feel" the 4x12 better.....

Like I said I LOVE my Xitone cabs and actually run mine in a hybrid setup with a traditional cab but I'm not gigging right now so I don't have to tote all that stuff around and when we rehearse I use my 4x12 I keep there.

I had someone tell me recently that they were blown away that a XiTone 2x12 was louder than his trusty 4x12! The 2x12 is probably 100db sensitive (or real close) with a single watt!

That being said, 4x12's still sound amazing! There is just some magic there!

I had someone tell me recently that they were blown away that a XiTone 2x12 was louder than his trusty 4x12! The 2x12 is probably 100db sensitive (or real close) with a single watt!

That being said, 4x12's still sound amazing! There is just some magic there!

I don't doubt it one bit!
I'm pretty sure my pair of Xitone 1x12 cabs are as loud as my 4x12 and they are definitely louder than my 2x12 guitar cabinet!

I don't think Volume will ever be an issue with these cabs...

My two CLR's can keep up with 100 watt Marshall brain and 4x12. Silly loud.

But I don't play heavy music. 1/2 step down or drop Db (1/2 step down and the low string dropped another step) is the lowest stuff I do.

I think you might need more horses to keep up with a full stack though. (Never had the pleasure of playing with a 4 CLR rig, but it probably would keep up with two 4x12's:))

Back
Top Bottom