FRFR and a good solo sound...

Here is the sound I am trying to achieve in my Q12 and rig (FOH)...
This is a recording of my band live. I'm using a 1x12 guitar cab - but the sound of the guitar you hear is direct from the AXE FX.

This is a recording of my band live. I'm using a 1x12 guitar cab - but the sound of the guitar you hear is direct from the AXE FX.

hello

i like your sound .
I can't reproduce it .... is it possible to share your preset ?
thanks

Your sounds are always great in your videos. It's a surprise you dislike the tones live!

On the Proximity thing, it adds a boost at around 120 from memory, which is why I recommend taking the mic and Proximity off and just lowering the cab Low Cut.

Let us know how tweaking goes. Do try loading a stock preset and playing it at volume for a while, then begin tweaking.

Your sounds are always great in your videos. It's a surprise you dislike the tones live!

On the Proximity thing, it adds a boost at around 120 from memory, which is why I recommend taking the mic and Proximity off and just lowering the cab Low Cut.

Let us know how tweaking goes. Do try loading a stock preset and playing it at volume for a while, then begin tweaking.

Thanks Wolfenstein,
I do like my tones live when I use my Guitar cab, (1x12 Eminence Tonkerlite) - i am trying to transfer over to the Q12 FRFR to be able to play quieter on stage and go through the FOH rig (I just bought 2x HK Audio Big Base systems)

That should be simple enough to tweak using A/B, the loop out from the Axe, and tweaking the Cab block.

Another option is to record an IR of your cab, if it works for you!

That should be simple enough to tweak using A/B, the loop out from the Axe, and tweaking the Cab block.

Another option is to record an IR of your cab, if it works for you!
i did do an IR of my cab, but its not great - so I ended up with the Brown Cab Sim, - I may have another go at it tonight :)

So I remember when you originally posted that video, and I really like the tone of your direct sound... But of course, I'm listening on cheap headphones at low volume.

How are you listening to that recording?

Volume will definitely make a big difference in the tone due to Fletcher Munson... As will the speakers you listen to it through.

I will upload it for you tonight :)

Here is my preset for the tone of the video
APB (B) is my normal setting with NO Cab sim as I use a real cab
APB X32 recL is my normal setup (right) and the cab sim in Left output for recording with Cab sim

Attachments

• A P B X32 rec L.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 9
  • A P B (B).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 7
To build a lead when you are happy with your rhythm tone, why not just build from the rhythm sound?

Are you changing amp types? Cabs?

To build a lead when you are happy with your rhythm tone, why not just build from the rhythm sound?

Are you changing amp types? Cabs?

I'm not changing the amp, just adjusting the tones of the drive block, I think I'm getting there but will know tomorrow when I gig it ...

Update, gigged lastnight and it was the most successful to date. My solo sound (after adjusting the tone etc on the drive block) was much better, my rhythm sound very good. - it is still needing work but it's definitely getting there :)

Here is my preset for the tone of the video
APB (B) is my normal setting with NO Cab sim as I use a real cab
APB X32 recL is my normal setup (right) and the cab sim in Left output for recording with Cab sim
hello
thanks a lot , but i'm with Q6.2 , and i can't load your presets .
I'll try them when i update firmware .
Thanks again

I used my Q12 on a gig as a monitor lastnight and was very happy with my rhythm sound, however I found my overdrive sound to be a bit scratchy and thin.
I use the shiver clean for the rhythm and the AC boost (drive block) for my soloing. With my guitar cab (no cab sim) this combination sounds really good however, with the FRFR it does not sound good. Would I be best using another amp block for an overdrive sound? I want a good bluesy sound (for soul music and steely Dan songs) not metal.
Any suggestions.....

Just an update - the reason I want to use the Q12 instead of a real cab is I want to hear more of the sound the audience is getting as I am also going through the FOH. So my FRFR is used as a monitor more than a full on backline (lastnight was the first time I tried this).
Hi andyp13.........I use the Q12 all the time no issues although I set My Q12 up with the HF set to FLAT...........you might really want to dig into the IR try setting the Mic to Null it totally colors the sound IMHO....I use an AX8 so it ain't there for me (I believe most Mic's are baked in) ......do a reset on the Cab block and see if it sounds better......I use the 4x12 basketweave G12M25 (RW) cab alot I believe its a factory IR they sound great to me..... I use my studio monitors and Q12 in the same room with me when dialing in presets..I would suggest getting into the WIKI and learn your amp and drive inside out..I have found it to be great late night reading over the years...lol..I also think hearing what the audience hears is a great benefit with using FRFR I run two outs to FOH and to 2 EV's or QSC's on stage...for the drive I use a Shimmer Drive awesome drive or try the SSD Preamp seems more transparent to me doesn't color the amp much ..........for Steely Dan Reeling in the years I use the Mr Z Mz-38..................hope this helps.

Last edited:
hello
thanks a lot , but i'm with Q6.2 , and i can't load your presets .
I'll try them when i update firmware .
Thanks again

I'm on the latest firmware - I think you will need to be on that to be able to upload the presets.

Hi andyp13.........I use the Q12 all the time no issues although I set My Q12 up with the HF set to FLAT...........you might really want to dig into the IR try setting the Mic to Null it totally colors the sound IMHO....I use an AX8 so it ain't there for me (I believe most Mic's are baked in) ......do a reset on the Cab block and see if it sounds better......I use the 4x12 basketweave G12M25 (RW) cab alot I believe its a factory IR they sound great to me..... I use my studio monitors and Q12 in the same room with me when dialing in presets..I would suggest getting into the WIKI and learn your amp and drive inside out..I have found it to be great late night reading over the years...lol..I also think hearing what the audience hears is a great benefit with using FRFR I run two outs to FOH and to 2 EV's or QSC's on stage...for the drive I use a Shimmer Drive awesome drive or try the SSD Preamp seems more transparent to me doesn't color the amp much ..........for Steely Dan Reeling in the years I use the Mr Z Mz-38..................hope this helps.

Thanks for this, I'm gigging tonight so will not make any changes until tomorrow when I have time to experiment.
What I'm trying to achieve is getting the same sound out of the Q12 that is going out to FOH - I'm still quite a long way off as yet.

Back
Top Bottom