Fretboard Heatmaps

Interested in how they calculated these. My guess would be some algorithm that counts notes in GuitarPro tabs or similar. I'd like to see the filter skewed a bit more to show notes played less so there were more differentiation between artists who have never played, for example, a high Eb on the G string, and those who have played it at least a couple times.

Interested in how they calculated these. My guess would be some algorithm that counts notes in GuitarPro tabs or similar. I'd like to see the filter skewed a bit more to show notes played less so there were more differentiation between artists who have never played, for example, a high Eb on the G string, and those who have played it at least a couple times.

The author's twitter: https://twitter.com/JoeCannatti
About 30000 tabs analysed (no mention of the tabs format). Tunings were not taken into account, just frets positions.

Agreed. The Slayer one is almost all grey, which could indicate that they use every fret equally... seems strange. Maybe a wider range with smaller increments of coloration to account for the lower volumes.

Agreed. The Slayer one is almost all grey, which could indicate that they use every fret equally... seems strange. Maybe a wider range with smaller increments of coloration to account for the lower volumes.

i think that indicates that they ride the low E too much.it's more or less a graph of note averages,which ones get played the most.as with slayer,there is always an open low E somewhere.:)(at least on there older material.)

Lol, Albert king sure loves that pentatonic.

I like the way Satriani and Vai is all over the fretboard. Makes it more valid to me. And what up with John Mayer? got a couple of favourite notes there for sure. lol :D

great post!

lol I'm guessing meshuggah would be just red on 2 frets and one string ....so inspiring
how to write 7 albums using 2 frets on a guitar

Very cool indeed! It's interesting to see where some of the great guitar players spend most of their time on the fret board.

I'd just like to see a little more of a stark variation between, for example, John Mayer and Dream Theater. With a different calibration, JP's or Vai's fretboard would light up all over the place a bit more, since they've each surely played every note on the fretboard many, many times over.

Back
Top Bottom