Free-Way Switch!

Sixstring

Legend!
Anyone here using one of these? I'm thinking of doing yet another pickup change (ThornBuckers this time) and I want to have a few more options with sounds and thought of using this switch. My guitar currently has a PRS 3 way and a P-P drop in setup.

Free-way switch

No experience with that switch but a traditional 3 way is so limiting IMO. The 5 way superblades provide tons of options for strat style guitars. If that toggle can open up your PRS for you I’d go for it. The Thornbuckers are built to be tapped/split or whatever. Pete’s got his set up that way.

That looks intriguing. I too have switched my old 5-way rotary out for a 3-way + push-pull on the tone knob and don't really like it. I'd be very interested to know how it goes with that switch.

I’ve looked at those switches in the past, and found them intriguing. I’ve held off on getting one because I’m not sure how easy it would be to control six different positions in the heat of the gig.

The beauty of the traditional three-way switch is its simplicity. Slam it one way, you’ve got the bridge pup. Slam it the other way, you’ve got the neck. Give it a nudge, and it finds the middle position by itself. I’m not sure how well that would work when you have six positions available. I look forward to hearing what you find out.

Last edited:
I’ve looked at those switches in the past, and found them intriguing. I’ve held off on getting one because I’m not sure how easy it would be to control six different positions in the heat of the gig.

The beauty of the traditional three-way switch is its simplicity, Slam it one way, you’ve got the bridge pup. Slam it the other way, you’ve got the neck. Give it a nudge, and it finds the middle position by itself. I’m not sure how well that would work when you have six positions available. I look forward to hearing what you find out.

Exactly this. Definitely a cool idea, though.

Ok, well I'm going take a chance and order this along with the ThornBuckers next week! My main concern was the durability of the mechanism.

I have read some other reviews and it looks for the most part that the older version had some issues but the latest one has addressed them. I will report back after I have everything installed!

I have some experience with the 3x3-04 (the JJ Customworks version) and 3x3-05 (the Freeway Ultra). If you're a fan of the PRS 5 way rotary knob the JJ Customworks one would be right up your alley as it as all the same sounds plus both pickups in parallel. For me, I found that the inner and outer pickups in parallel really wasn't that much different, and I missed having more single coilish sounds with either pickup split or in parallel. So I tried the Freeway Ultra. I found it a bit flimsy and one of them broke when I was soldering (I ordered 2) - the circuitboard print came off the board. Maybe it's one thing they've fixed in recent versions. When I had it in my guitar though I found myself not trusting it completely. It really was just a feel thing with things like that the knob rotates where's on a standard 3 way switch it doesn't. So after a fairly short while I went back to a standard 3 way and push pull to get me the split single-coil sounds instead.

I am still looking from time to time - maybe I'll give the 3x3-03 version a go which seems like the middle ground. More flexible than the JJ Customworks version and sturdier than the Ultra. I'd probably go for the wiring with the 3 standard bridge, bridge+neck, neck and then bridge in parallel, neck+bridge single coil in parallel and neck singlecoil. Those would be 6 really usable sounds to me.

I have some experience with the 3x3-04 (the JJ Customworks version) and 3x3-05 (the Freeway Ultra). If you're a fan of the PRS 5 way rotary knob the JJ Customworks one would be right up your alley as it as all the same sounds plus both pickups in parallel. For me, I found that the inner and outer pickups in parallel really wasn't that much different, and I missed having more single coilish sounds with either pickup split or in parallel. So I tried the Freeway Ultra. I found it a bit flimsy and one of them broke when I was soldering (I ordered 2) - the circuitboard print came off the board. Maybe it's one thing they've fixed in recent versions. When I had it in my guitar though I found myself not trusting it completely. It really was just a feel thing with things like that the knob rotates where's on a standard 3 way switch it doesn't. So after a fairly short while I went back to a standard 3 way and push pull to get me the split single-coil sounds instead.

I am still looking from time to time - maybe I'll give the 3x3-03 version a go which seems like the middle ground. More flexible than the JJ Customworks version and sturdier than the Ultra. I'd probably go for the wiring with the 3 standard bridge, bridge+neck, neck and then bridge in parallel, neck+bridge single coil in parallel and neck singlecoil. Those would be 6 really usable sounds to me.

Thanks John!

When you did the soldering on the Ultra were you using a low wattage iron? Looking at the PCB on that version it did seem rather delicate which doesn't leave much contact time depending on heat range used. Also on the switch it's self is the construction that much different than a standard 3 way?

On pickup configurations I'm leaning on how Pete has wired his sig guitar with the exception of maybe either tapping the bridge or some other configuration for that 6th position.

Thanks John!

When you did the soldering on the Ultra were you using a low wattage iron? Looking at the PCB on that version it did seem rather delicate which doesn't leave much contact time depending on heat range used. Also on the switch it's self is the construction that much different than a standard 3 way?

Hakko Fx-888d, seemed to be one of the market leaders together with Weller when I did some research what to get. With a fairly thin tip that works fine for all other soldering work I've done (except soldering braided pickup wires to the back of pots that needs a bit more power). And yes, it's definitely delicate, and the construction is quite different from a standard 3 way which is only moving in 1 direction where's this is moving in 2 direction. A standard 3 way feels pretty bullet proof where this just doesn't. Not that it's going to instantly break or anything, and definitely not the same sturdy feeling of a good quality 3 way. The construction and feel of the actual switch was the same on the JJ customworks one and the Ultra, but the PCB was a lot more delicate on the Ultra. That's why if I where to give it another go I'd go for the 3x3-03 that seems sturdier with a lot more contact surface on the PCB, and still gives plenty of wiring options.

On pickup configurations I'm leaning on how Pete has wired his sig guitar with the exception of maybe either tapping the bridge or some other configuration for that 6th position.

To be precise, I don't think any of the Freeway switches would work with a tap-able pickup (like the Joe Barden Two Tone Humbucker: http://jbepickups.com/product/hb-hb-twotone/), but if you mean to split the pickup in the 6th position, that's certainly a very useful tone to me, and one that I missing with the JJ Customworks Freeway switch. Especially if you can do the PRS trick of not shorting the other coil fully and use a resistor to partially split the pickup.

I recently put a freeway ultra switch in my PRS Custon 24 and couldn’t be happier. I was concerned about the robustness and being able to “feel” the correct position while playing, but it has held up just fine and took very little to adjust to. Vast functional improvement over the rotary for me. Fortunately, years ago the military sent me to micro-miniature electronic repair school (component level repair) and that skill set came in handy with the freeway switch. I used pre tinned measured leads for the jumpers and then pig tailed the the inputs and output which made dealing with tight PRS cavity much easier. Be sure to use the usual tools when soldering and be sure to use heat sinks, I wouldn’t attempt to freehand this.

It’s really made my PRS much more versatile and has reduced the number of time I have to switch guitars.

Parts have been ordered! I went with the 3x3 03 switch, the Ultra wasn't going to fit without doing some routing in the cavity and I didn't want to deal with it. For the pickups I went with a Thornbucker + with black bobbins for the bridge and raw nickel for the neck.

I should have everything in by the end of the week and soldered up by the middle of next week.

Last edited:
Update on this project! A week later than expected but pups and switch are installed and working thought not exactly as I had hoped but working better than what I had.

First off the ThornBuckers are killer sounding! Very articulate, no mud and great sustain with a clarity that surpasses the Carvin pickups I was using (C22's). I can hear all of the notes in any chord very distinctly now!

Highly Recommended if your thinking about a PAF style pup! Strat guys look to the ThornBucker + in the bridge!

The Free-Way switch all I can say is why didn't I do this sooner?

Pickup selections are now - position 1, Neck, position 2, Neck and Bridge, position 3, Bridge all Hum Bucking with the Push Pull in the down position.

Position 4, single coil Neck, Position 5, Neck and Bridge in Single Coils (north and south coils) kind of a quasi Tele sound! Position 6, Bridge in Parallel.

With the Push Pull in the up position (this only works with the neck pickup) , position 1, Neck in Parallel, position 2, Neck in Parallel with Bridge in Hum Bucking, position 3, Bridge in Hum Bucking (unaffected)

Position 4, Neck in parallel, Position 5, Neck in Parallel and Bridge in single coil, position 6, Bridge in Hum Bucking again (unaffected).

The switch does feel a little less robust than the PRS 3 way I removed but not the point that it would worry me, I'm pretty light handed.

Keeping track of or getting to the right position while playing. I found this to be very easy and very natural, not as cumbersome as I thought it would be given all of the extra options I now have at my fingers.

Probably just like working with a 5 way blade switch, after a while you just automatically know where the switch is just by touching it.

If you are thinking about installing one of these switches and are worried about it to much. I worked with Bryce over at Free-Way back & forth with 4-5 emails and he came up with a wiring digram that was easy to follow once I was able to I.D. the polarity start and finish wiring on the Thorn Buckers thanks to the guys at Suhr!.

Update on this project! A week later than expected but pups and switch are installed and working thought not exactly as I had hoped but working better than what I had.

First off the ThornBuckers are killer sounding! Very articulate, no mud and great sustain with a clarity that surpasses the Carvin pickups I was using (C22's). I can hear all of the notes in any chord very distinctly now!

Highly Recommended if your thinking about a PAF style pup! Strat guys look to the ThornBucker + in the bridge!

Pickup selections are now - position 1, Neck, position 2, Neck and Bridge, position 3, Bridge all Hum Bucking with the Push Pull in the down position.

Position 4, single coil Neck, Position 5, Neck and Bridge in Single Coils (north and south coils) kind of a quasi Tele sound! Position 6, Bridge in Parallel.

With the Push Pull in the up position (this only works with the neck pickup) , position 1, Neck in Parallel, position 2, Neck in Parallel with Bridge in Hum Bucking, position 3, Bridge in Hum Bucking (unaffected)

Position 4, Neck in parallel, Position 5, Neck in Parallel and Bridge in single coil, position 6, Bridge in Hum Bucking again (unaffected).

The switch does feel a little less robust than the PRS 3 way I removed but not the point that it would worry me, I'm pretty light handed.

Keeping track of or getting to the right position while playing. I found this to be very easy and very natural, not as cumbersome as I thought it would be given all of the extra options I now have at my fingers.

Probably just like working with a 5 way blade switch, after a while you just automatically know where the switch is just by touching it.

If you are thinking about installing one of these switches and are worried about it to much. I worked with Bryce over at Free-Way back & forth with 4-5 emails and he came up with a wiring digram that was easy to follow once I was able to I.D. the polarity start and finish wiring on the Thorn Buckers thanks to the guys at Suhr!.

Cool. I love objective real-world reviews. :)

Cool! Glad it worked out for you, and I thought the same thing once I had mine in for a couple of days.
Have another one laying around that I am going to throw into a Wolfgang I am tricking out.

BTW, Check back in a couple of weeks after you've lived with it for a while.

Will do! I don't have any gig's planned at the moment but I'm always noodling after work I will report back after 15-20 hours of play time.

I put a Freeway switch in my EVH Wolfgang a couple of years ago - set up with 3 HB and 3 SC positions, and it works great! (The stock pickups in the EVH are manufactured by Seymour Duncan, I believe)

This sounds great. I might copy your setup - do you mind sharing the wiring diagram? Thank you!

Thanks for the inspiration @Sixstring. I finally took the time to install this yesterday and it worked great. I copied your setup so have the same switching options. The 3x3-03 switch feels better to me than the Ultra switch I tried before and I'm very happy with the switching options. Feels like all the sounds are unique enough and all usable to be a worthwhile upgrade.

One other thing I did add was a Seymour Duncan Liberator: https://www.seymourduncan.com/accessory/liberator-500k to make any further pickup swapping much easier, especially with the Freeway switch.

I installed this in my PRS P245 that has a Bareknuckle Riff Raff in the neck and a Bareknuckle Abraxas in the bridge. And on top of this it also has a Piezo bridge so this is now a crazy versatile guitar with 9 different magnetics only sounds, same 9 blended with piezo and the piezo on its own.

And it still looks like the original P245. Love it!

PRS-P245a.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom