FracTool - for power users only

What are the system requirements for Fractool? I use an old iMac running 10.6.8 and it crashes as soon as I try to open it. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did not want to weed through 100+ pages to find the answer. Thanks!

My pleasure Alexander, Just a small token of my appreciation for what you do for the community. Now shut off all the media devices and back to work with you! :)

I'm not sure the II=>III conversion functionality has to be free, what are your thoughts about this?

I see 3 options :
- Free donationware like other conversions work today
- Paid in-app purchase at a fixed price
- Paid in-app purchase with pay what you want price

(btw, when i say II => III conversion, the ax8/FX8 => III conversion is implied)

I'm not sure the II=>III conversion functionality has to be free, what are your thoughts about this?

I see 3 options :

(btw, when i say II => III conversion, the ax8/FX8 => III conversion is implied)

I think whatever you decide you're definitely entitled to some compensation for all you do w/ your apps, you provide a great service to the community, and you should be compensated for your time/effort/smarts on fractool. In regards to the specific options, I'd personally lean toward sticking with 1 as that seems like a "everyone benefits, and those who are able to can provide some financial compensation, and those who are more able can provide more", but I think only you really have a sense if this model where fractool is entirely donationware has been "successful" or not... I for one will definitely donate again for future development, as I have in the past, as I'm sure many will, but I suspect it's been a situation where you see the most donations on first release, and then maybe again when you've implemented something new and big, and then it dries up alot in between. Option two will definitely make for people who say they want a particular feature to put an actual value on having it implemented. I'm sure it's easy for folks to say, "oh, I'd totally pay for that,", and then just sort of "forget" to do so even if they had the best intentions, so I can see a benefit for you with the 2nd option... Option 3 seems like it might kind of split the difference nicely?

I think whatever you decide you're definitely entitled to some compensation for all you do w/ your apps, you provide a great service to the community, and you should be compensated for your time/effort/smarts on fractool.

Could not agree more. I highly encourage everyone who uses his awesome apps to contribute whatever they can. This stuff isn't easy and Al does a spectacular job keeping them up to date with timely and quick updates.

His donation page is here:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=CRDEGURGG6S7Q

Last edited:
I would say fixed price paid in app purchase for conversion. I think thats only fair. Just makes sense to get paid for sure for your hard work.
And thats my 10.000 cents worth.;)

Maybe a 1 hour try before you buy feature????

I see 3 options :

Only you know how much time & effort it takes to make this happen. I know, no matter what choice you make, I will gladly either pay or donate as this will be invaluable to me as I have a lot of presets to convert!

I see 3 options :

You should charge for it. Though if you start charging people now have a much higher quality expectation - for example "Use a proper antivirus" may not fly with paying customers.

You should charge for it. Though if you start charging people now have a much higher quality expectation - for example "Use a proper antivirus" may not fly with paying customers.

I agree but if that is included in the system requirements it might make it a little more official. With any software, it's up to the user to have a system that will support whatever program they are installing.

If you can, while working on the II -> III conversion, please support conversion from the FracTool backup, as I no longer have a II (sold to finance the upgrade). I'm fine with a donation or paid version for this capability! Thanks for your great work.
It already reads from backups... At least individual presets and banks.

I see 3 options :

I think the donationware might have some advantages for you in terms of responsibility. Probably, once it's commercial, people will start bitching for something they don't today. But only you know if the donationware model is working for you financially. I think you could add a donation link somewhere inside your software, as a reminder, to help raising more money.

I installed Fractool last week for the first time, only used it once for testing, just to know how it works. What I need is the II->III conversion. Once it's done, I'll download it and donate for sure. If you decide you'll sell it at a fixed price, I'll buy if it fits my budget, otherwise, hands on the manually copy&paste.

Hi Alexander, Don't have a III (yet); say until 10 euros it would be a no brainer for me, even with free version of fractool yet installed. At higher prices it would be a 5s brainer probably; so no sweat; do as you feel it.

Back
Top Bottom