Fractal EV-1 Expression Pedal

sanfender

Apologies for what might be an obtuse question, but I have the FAS EV-1 Expression Pedal connected to my MFC 101 via TRS cable. Question is simply: is the EV-1 always "active"? I notice that when I have a Wah block in a given preset, but it is bypassed, stepping on the EV-1 still triggers the Wah.
Have I calibrated or connected this in a sub-optimal manner?

that is the "Auto-Engage" function of the Wah block. turn it off by going into the Modifier menu. on the front panel, navigate to the Wah block in the Layout, hit Edit to get into the block, move the cursor to the Control parameter, press the Enter button, scroll down to the Auto-Engage function and turn it off - if that's what you want to do.

if you're using Axe-Edit, select the Wah block, right click on the Control parameter and turn off Auto-Engage.

Not to knock the EV1, as its fantastic, but if your main use it for wah, I'd suggest trying out a Mission EP1, with the spring loaded option. It has a nice short sweep range, like a Vox/Crybaby wah pedal does, so you can modulation it quicker, and with the spring loaded option, when you step on it it turns on and when you step off, it goes back to heel down, so paired with auto engage it kicks in when you step on it, turns off when you don't.

I love the EV1 for other modulation effects where I want fine control, but the Mission is simply head and shoulders above everything else for wah effects

Not to knock the EV1, as its fantastic, but if your main use it for wah, I'd suggest trying out a Mission EP1, with the spring loaded option. It has a nice short sweep range, like a Vox/Crybaby wah pedal does, so you can modulation it quicker, and with the spring loaded option, when you step on it it turns on and when you step off, it goes back to heel down, so paired with auto engage it kicks in when you step on it, turns off when you don't.

I love the EV1 for other modulation effects where I want fine control, but the Mission is simply head and shoulders above everything else for wah effects

Well, I disagree about the spring thing. One of my favorite "tricks" is to used the wah cocked. Can't do that with a spring loaded pedals.
I also auto-engage the pedal toe-down. Less harsh discrepancy between on/off states.

Well, I disagree about the spring thing. One of my favorite "tricks" is to used the wah cocked. Can't do that with a spring loaded pedals.
I also auto-engage the pedal toe-down. Less harsh discrepancy between on/off states.

If you want a cocked wah for a given patch I would assign an IA button to engage a cocked wah sound at a fixed value, letting you kick it in/out as needed, could also set up a filter or PEQ block to do this as well.

I think you could even have 2 wah blocks for a given patch, so you could assign one to a IA button and another to a pedal, or even 1 to a spring loaded pedal with auto engage, and then a second to a non-spring loaded pedal, or an external footswitch etc.

Nice thing about the Axe, there are usually 5+ ways to accomplish a given task

True enough. But I'm already tight on IA real-estate. So it seems more logical to me to just have a Wah and taylor my sound as I need it using the pedal.

Like you said, plenty of ways to cook your tone.

Back
Top Bottom