Fractal AX8 vs FX8

Ken68

Hello Guys,
Just looking for an opinion. I had a Axe FX II XL+ w\MFC101 that i was playing through the front of a Pearl amp head. I sold both as im looking to play mostly practicing with a band and out live and the thought of lugging head,rack for Axe FX and then MFC 101 was a little much for me and the fact that I am not recording or wouldnt be able to take advantage of all the options on the Axe II seemd like a waste so I was leaning more towards the AX8. I loved the delay chorus etc effect in the Axe II and even some of the heavier Amp sims Engl, Rectifier, Diezel etc played through the front of the Pearl with the Cab sims off sounded killer. AS i was looking into the AX8 I stumbled on the FX8, upon reading the manual of both they kind of point out going into a Tube amp vs FOH FRFR etc EX: "The AX8 looks very similar to the FX8, but there are some important differences. The FX8 is intended for use with a tube amp, while the AX8 is primarily intended for going “direct.” Later you’ll learn how it can also be used with real amps and guitar speakers, but at first you’ll surely want to connect the unit to some studio monitors, full-range guitar speakers, or a high-quality PA system" and "Unlike the FX8, the AX8 is NOT specifically designed for unity gain, but when you’re using it “direct” this really should not be a concern." and "To use the four-cable-method, you will need to create special presets where AMP and CAB blocks are replaced by the FX LOOP block. With your guitar connected to IN1 INSTRUMENT, signal hits the AX8 first and passes through any effects that you want in front of the amp—compressor, drive, wah, and the like." So my question is should i just go for the FX8 and front end the unit with a Good Distortion pedal like Friedman for the heavier amp models that i liked, or can the AX8 do everything the FX8 can and have the option of using amp models as well. I dont see my self going to a FRFR setup or to FOH when playing out as most of the Gigs are smaller with in house sound men who probably wouldnt know how to set the unit up. Any input would be appreciated Thanks in advance..

Regards Ken ..

Are you asking if you can use an FX8 and a drive pedal directly? I'm not quite following you there...

If you are, the answer is pretty much "no"... You need to use the FX8 in conjunction with a real amp.

Also, adding some whitespace (i.e., paragraphs) would make reading your post much easier.

The AX8 incorporates Fractal's amp models as well as effects, the FX8 is strictly effects. The FX8 will not work (produce the desired tone) going direct to FOH or into an FRFR monitor.

Hey Guys thanks, maybe i wasn't clear, i have no intentions of going FRFR right now or FOH. The Pearl amp i am playing through is a clean amp no gain, I mentioned i had the Axe fx II and it sounded good right through the front of the amp with amp sims. My question is

- Is there any advantage using the FX8 over the AX8 playing through a tube amp?
- What does the AX8 is not specifically designed for unity gain mean?
- I dont mind buying the AX8 and getting the amp sims as long as it can do everything the FX8 can
- Just seems like Fractal keep pointing to using a FX8 vs AX8 when playing through a tube amp
- I realize that you need an amp for the FX8, my question was can the FX8 drive pedals get me a good distortion sound similiar to some of the amp simulations on the AX8 or as an option I could front end the FX8 with a quality distortion Pedal for Heavier amp type sounds

- Is there any advantage using the FX8 over the AX8 playing through a tube amp?
The FX8 has lower-noise converters. This can make a difference if you're running into a high-gain amp. Less hiss when you crank up the volume.

- What does the AX8 is not specifically designed for unity gain mean?
Unity gain means you get the same level out that you put in, as long as you're not intentionally cranking up levels in the effects blocks. It's a convenience when running with a real amp, but not a necessity.

- I realize that you need an amp for the FX8, my question was can the FX8 drive pedals get me a good distortion sound similiar to some of the amp simulations on the AX8 or as an option I could front end the FX8 with a quality distortion Pedal for Heavier amp type sounds
Similar to the amp sims in the AX8? That depends on how similar your amp is to one or more of the AX8's amp sims. The FX8 has some wonderful Drive sims. The same ones in fact, as are in the AX8. You can also run your own pedals with it, if you prefer.

I started with a FX8 ...struggled, then the AX8 was a whole new dimension - would never go back.
If you need to run through a guitar amp, it is easy to bypass the cabs and if necessary the amp blocks and then you will pretty much have an FX8 anyway.

I too, had a hard decision when I purchased my FX8... in 99% of cases I was going to use it as a FX only setup with the 4cm on a Mesa Mark V:25. I had considered setting up some acoustic patches on it and using it direct through a DI. I have not tested that yet.

Over time, I really started to dig the effects in the unit. I started relying on the drives and compressors in the Fx8 more than my actual 2nd channel of my amp. I started to think that I would love to have an Ax8 so I didn't have to lug my amp to rehearsals or jams.

What I ended up doing is buying a Mooer Radar. It's a Cab Simulator and IR loader. That got me much better sound when direct to a PA. Unfortunately, it was a little lacking in the dynamics area so I picked up a Hotone Binary Amp simulator and paired them together. It's quite flexible, has decent dynamics and because it has an EFX look in the amp sim, I don't have to modify any patches on the FX8 (routing changes mostly).

So the signal is routed like this

Attachments

• fx8 - hotone binary amp - radar rig.png
    fx8 - hotone binary amp - radar rig.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom