Fractal Audio Multi-FX Pedal

BobbyLane99

I often wonder if FAS is ever going to come out with a multi-fx pedal.. the ToneX users could really use one.. heck for that matter any regular analog amp/cabinet pedalboard user could use one.. I LOVE my Axe-Fx III Mk II and FC-12.. but I would (without hesitation) gladly purchase an FAS Mulit-Fx pedal to use whenever I wanted to just run a simple live setup with an amp and cab.

I often wonder if FAS is ever going to come out with a multi-fx pedal.. the ToneX users could really use one.. heck for that matter any regular analog amp/cabinet pedalboard user could use one.. I LOVE my Axe-Fx III Mk II and FC-12.. but I would (without hesitation) gladly purchase an FAS Mulit-Fx pedal to use whenever I wanted to just run a simple live setup with an amp and cab.

Previous generation of Fractal but are you aware of this?
https://www.fractalaudio.com/p-fx8-multieffects-pedalboard/

View attachment 128341
There you have the best multi-FX you can imagine. Better than the Eventide multi-FX pedals. Just ignore the AMP and CAB blocks

I think the Eventide H9 and H90 are the same level as the Axe fx when it comes to purely effects. What is better is highly subjective and a matter of taste. But the FM3 totally wins because there is a lot more possible than on the H9 or H90 with combining effects etc.
And yes why should one wish a mutli-fx pedal from Fractal when it's already there? Being HX8 or FM3 or FM9.

I think the Eventide H9 and H90 are the same level as the Axe fx when it comes to purely effects. What is better is highly subjective and a matter of taste. But the FM3 totally wins because there is a lot more possible than on the H9 or H90 with combining effects etc.
And yes why should one wish a mutli-fx pedal from Fractal when it's already there? Being HX8 or FM3 or FM9.
I do not have that experience. I have made A/B comparisons of the H9/Axe-FX III. The H9 reverbs and chorus have a noticeable much lower quality.

I thought the H9 would have some added value, but it has none. I sold it after I copied the algorithms into the Axe-FX

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...d-beyond-chapter-1-crystals-algorithm.157686/

I do not have that experience. I have made A/B comparisons of the H9/Axe-FX III. The H9 reverbs and chorus have a noticeable much lower quality.

I thought the H9 would have some added value, but it has none. I sold it after I copied the algorithms into the Axe-FX

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...d-beyond-chapter-1-crystals-algorithm.157686/

To me they just sound different, not worse. But as I said, just a matter of taste. I never use the H9 together with my Axe fx. I use it for different gigs/projects where I need a smaller set up.

View attachment 128341
There you have the best multi-FX you can imagine. Better than the Eventide multi-FX pedals. Just ignore the AMP and CAB blocks
The FM3 is quite noisy in 4CM, so this doesn’t fit the bill for some people looking for a dedicated FX processor if running effects in both front and through the loop are needed. I believe even in the manual, Cliff hints at not doing this.

I had considered this myself and borrowed a friend’s FM3 but couldn’t get past the noise. Tried all the tips and tricks.

My FM9 is light years quieter and works great for this, but that’s a lot of money and a sizeable footprint for just an FX processor.

I do agree that a sub-FM3 price point with FX only, and one that utilizes the quieter 4CM hardware would be a significant product in the range, but worry that it would be too late to the party, with what’s already on the market.

The Fractal stuff is WAAAAAAAYYYYY easier to use than the H90, in my opinion. I had an H90 and at first I was quite excited by it, because it does sound great. But I also shot it out alongside my Axe III, and pretty much everything the H90 does, the Axe III does in spades. You have to get a bit more creative on the Axe III (and shout out to the Helix too, which also is competitive against the H90!) because one algorithm on the H90 is worth at least two on the other units. But once you start stacking stuff up... to me, no question the Axe III kinda destroys the H90.

I found the H90 confusing and frustrating to use. So I sold it. Lost a bit of money on it to be honest, but it is what it is. Recently I purchase the Eventide UltraTap pedal because it was on offer. It is very cool and a lot easier to use than the H9/H90 pedals (obviously!) but again.... it doesn't really do anything I can't achieve on my two multi-fx of choice.

I also found the H90 extremely noisy when doing 4-cable method; particularly when using high-gain sounds on the amp.

The FM3 is quite noisy in 4CM, so this doesn’t fit the bill for some people looking for a dedicated FX processor if running effects in both front and through the loop are needed. I believe even in the manual, Cliff hints at not doing this.

I had considered this myself and borrowed a friend’s FM3 but couldn’t get past the noise. Tried all the tips and tricks.

My FM9 is light years quieter and works great for this, but that’s a lot of money and a sizeable footprint for just an FX processor.

I do agree that a sub-FM3 price point with FX only, and one that utilizes the quieter 4CM hardware would be a significant product in the range, but worry that it would be too late to the party, with what’s already on the market.
Yes I also read that the FM3 isn't quite as performant as the Axe III and FM9 are, when you want to use it for just straight up effects. But I've not had direct first hand experience, just read comments online. Has anyone here directly compared the FM3 with the Axe III and the Helix Floor?? I'd be very tempted to pickup an FM3 at some point if the noise is no worse than the Helix. Just on gut feeling I'm expecting the Axe III to be a little less noisy - it is a little less noisy than the Helix is, but the Helix doesn't bother me at all. It is perfectly fine.

I do agree there is room for an effects-only version of the FM3. Take out all of the amp modelling stuff, and leave everything else exactly the same. Use the now freed up DSP resources to give more delays and reverbs.

The Fractal stuff is WAAAAAAAYYYYY easier to use than the H90, in my opinion. I had an H90 and at first I was quite excited by it, because it does sound great. But I also shot it out alongside my Axe III, and pretty much everything the H90 does, the Axe III does in spades. You have to get a bit more creative on the Axe III (and shout out to the Helix too, which also is competitive against the H90!) because one algorithm on the H90 is worth at least two on the other units. But once you start stacking stuff up... to me, no question the Axe III kinda destroys the H90.

I found the H90 confusing and frustrating to use. So I sold it. Lost a bit of money on it to be honest, but it is what it is. Recently I purchase the Eventide UltraTap pedal because it was on offer. It is very cool and a lot easier to use than the H9/H90 pedals (obviously!) but again.... it doesn't really do anything I can't achieve on my two multi-fx of choice.

I also found the H90 extremely noisy when doing 4-cable method; particularly when using high-gain sounds on the amp.

Yes I also read that the FM3 isn't quite as performant as the Axe III and FM9 are, when you want to use it for just straight up effects. But I've not had direct first hand experience, just read comments online. Has anyone here directly compared the FM3 with the Axe III and the Helix Floor?? I'd be very tempted to pickup an FM3 at some point if the noise is no worse than the Helix. Just on gut feeling I'm expecting the Axe III to be a little less noisy - it is a little less noisy than the Helix is, but the Helix doesn't bother me at all. It is perfectly fine.

I do agree there is room for an effects-only version of the FM3. Take out all of the amp modelling stuff, and leave everything else exactly the same. Use the now freed up DSP resources to give more delays and reverbs.
I had a ground hum with my Helix when I had it, that was unavoidable, and apparently common. A Radial SB6 easily took care of it. But aside from that, I didn’t have the “hiss”or “white noise” that I had with the FM3.

Well it's not a competition. Both units (Axe fx and H9/H90) can do things that the other can't do. Eventide has some very nice algos and sounds that the Axe fx just doesn't have and visa versa. I think the H9 is very easy to use, especially with the software. I don't own a H90 so I can't tell about that. But I do think the H90 is way too expensive.

Didn't know it was noisy. Then a FX8 might be a better option. I guess you can find that second hand for a good price.

Last edited:
Well it's not a competition. Both units (Axe fx and H9/H90) can do things that the other can't do. Eventide has some very nice algos and sounds that the Axe fx just doesn't have and visa versa. I think the H9 is very easy to use, especially with the software. I don't own a H90 so I can't tell about that. But I do think the H90 is way too expensive.
It is a competition for my wallet that is for sure! Obviously this is all my opinion, but....

I genuinely don't think there is anything the Eventide stuff can do that the Axe cannot. There will always be differences in tonality of course, but there's nothing I really pine for from the H9/H90 or Factor pedals.

The MXR Reverb on the other hand... can't quite nail the pad mode on that using the Axe III. I can get close, but it has a very specific enveloping to how the pitches come in that I've not been able to replicate.

There's also something special about the Strymon BigSky and Timeline. I've kept those around because there are many sounds on there that I cannot quite grok with the Axe III and Helix.

View attachment 128341
This^

Compared to the FX8 , the FM3 is recently updated algorithm wise , just use the FX blocks

Now as you said @BobbyLane99 …. Without hesitation….cough up the money for our Fractal overlord so he can grace us with more firmware updates for our unit.

https://shop.fractalaudio.com/fm3-mk-ii-turbo-amp-modeler-multi-fx-floor-unit/

Screenshot or it didn’t happen…

We all see when you were last here 👀

We will know

Just joking but to be serious here just get the FM3

Attachments

• IMG_2139.jpeg
    IMG_2139.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
This^

Compared to the FX8 , the FM3 is recently updated algorithm wise , just use the FX blocks

Now as you said @BobbyLane99 …. Without hesitation….cough up the money for our Fractal overlord so he can grace us with more firmware updates for our unit.

https://shop.fractalaudio.com/fm3-mk-ii-turbo-amp-modeler-multi-fx-floor-unit/

Screenshot or it didn’t happen…

We all see when you were last here 👀

We will know

Just joking but to be serious here just get the FM3
See my comment about noise in 4CM

I'd be surprised if it cannot get extremely close with some imaginative routing.

Maybe close but not the same. That's the beauty of different algos in the Eventide. It's already there without having to do complex routing with five block or so. There are more algos like that in the Eventide. Like I said, it's just different not worse. Whatever you prefer is up to you.....

Eventide H90 = $900 | Fractal FM3 = $1100

close enough I suppose.. I was thinking in terms of competing with an L6 HX Stomp price range.. BUT.. since I'm WAY more hands-on aware of the capabilities and high quality of FAS vs Eventide vs L6 I would likely get the FM3.. but to be honest: I doubt I'll ever go back to an amp/cab live rig again.. so for me the idea of a dedicated multi-fx pedal is (perhaps) moot..

thanks all for your input.

~Bobby Lane

Back
Top Bottom