Fractal Audio DRIVE models: SDD Preamp (based on preamp in Korg SDD-3000)

Yes the mighty SDD Preamp... I use it on just about every preset to push the amp just a little harder ... also it seems to add more sustain....I find that it is really transparent doesn't color the amps sound...works great on clean amps too adds some kick..kind of reminds of A1 steak sauce.............."Yeah, it's that important."

Last edited:
I have it. The preamp is not bad, the delay (especially the modulation) is not even close to the rack version

ok thanks. So it is kind of disappointing then I guess? They did all the trouble to replicate the original and even got Dallas in the game and didn't even get close. Strange.....

.....kind of reminds of A1 steak sauce.............."Yeah, it's that important."

You had me until that line. A1? Meh. :)

Actually, perhaps we can make this work....I would imagine A1 would only go on a bad steak that needs help, so perhaps the SDD is good for those situations where your guitar / amp combo just ain't quite there? Yeah that might work. :p

ok thanks. So it is kind of disappointing then I guess? They did all the trouble to replicate the original and even got Dallas in the game and didn't even get close. Strange.....

When I got the pedal I wasn't very impressed.. actually I wasn't impressed at all (and still aren't).
The rack modulation has a very 3D quality to it, while the pedal modulation has a bad digital flavor a la line6 dl4 so to speak.
If we're strictly talking about the "sdd" algo in the sdd pedal, with the sdd model and the vintage digital delay model you can get better results (more similar to rack) than the pedal.
That's my 2c of course, I know a few people who rave about it, and I respect that.

When I got the pedal I wasn't very impressed.. actually I wasn't impressed at all (and still aren't).
The rack modulation has a very 3D quality to it, while the pedal modulation has a bad digital flavor a la line6 dl4 so to speak.
If we're strictly talking about the "sdd" algo in the sdd pedal, with the sdd model and the vintage digital delay model you can get better results (more similar to rack) than the pedal.
That's my 2c of course, I know a few people who rave about it, and I respect that.

Just curious, does the Edge still use the old rack or the new sdd pedal?
I saw a picture somewhere in his current rig that looks like similar to sdd pedal but may be I was wrong.

Just curious, does the Edge still use the old rack or the new sdd pedal?
I saw a picture somewhere in his current rig that looks like similar to sdd pedal but may be I was wrong.
Do you mean this rack? The colors and knobs of the middle unit sure remind me of the SDD (under the line6)...
Edge%201.jpg~original

Do you mean this rack? The colors and knobs of the middle unit sure remind me of the SDD (under the line6)...
Edge%201.jpg~original

That indeed looks like the pedal version that has been fashioned into a 3u rack piece to me...... I wonder if his 1u original rack unit has been set aside for "Studio Only" use because of it's age?

That indeed looks like the pedal version that has been fashioned into a 3u rack piece to me...... I wonder if his 1u original rack unit has been set aside for "Studio Only" use because of it's age?

That is a custom sdd3000 pedal housed in a rack. As far as I know, Dallas (Edge's guitar tech) changes the attenuator settings / input level depending on the songs / guitars, and its quicker to have it up front, as opposed to a rack drawer. Also, the rack unit only has 9 presets (that have to be changed manually), while the pedal has 200 I think and has midi.
As for the older rack units, a while back I read they had 18 units, some to be used, some are stored for parts in case they need to repair the main ones. From my experience, those old racks can become quite unreliable over time, especially if you take them on the road... I remember one gig I played a few years ago, where I just couldn't use it for the noise coming out of it (the night before it was perfectly fine).. the next day i opened it, couldn't figure out what the problem was, reclosed it and it worked just fine. I'm sure you don't want that kind of randomness in a packed stadium, do you? :D

That is a custom sdd3000 pedal housed in a rack. As far as I know, Dallas (Edge's guitar tech) changes the attenuator settings / input level depending on the songs / guitars, and its quicker to have it up front, as opposed to a rack drawer. Also, the rack unit only has 9 presets (that have to be changed manually), while the pedal has 200 I think and has midi.
As for the older rack units, a while back I read they had 18 units, some to be used, some are stored for parts in case they need to repair the main ones. From my experience, those old racks can become quite unreliable over time, especially if you take them on the road... I remember one gig I played a few years ago, where I just couldn't use it for the noise coming out of it (the night before it was perfectly fine).. the next day i opened it, couldn't figure out what the problem was, reclosed it and it worked just fine. I'm sure you don't want that kind of randomness in a packed stadium, do you? :D

I knew you would know the skinny on all the details......

The pedal uses a DSP for the delays (not for the preamp), while the delays in the rack version were analog.

While the preamp circuit is analog (4558 type opamps and a pair of clipping diodes), the delay circuit of the original rack units was digital. Look at the block diagram on page 3 of the service manual linked in the OP. A/D and D/A converters and RAM chips. No analog BBD chips.

Last edited:
While the preamp circuit is analog (4558 type opamps and a pair of clipping diodes), the delay circuit of the original rack units was digital. Look at the block diagram on page 3 of the service manual linked in the OP. A/D and D/A converters and RAM chips. No analog BBD chips.

For sure! In fact it is called sdd3000 digital delay! Just totally different from the pedal reissue

Back
Top Bottom