Fractal Audio DRIVE models: M-Zone Dist (based on BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The contents of this thread, including updates, are available as a PDF Guide. Download it here.

MZ.png

M-Zone Dist: based on BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone

Does BOSS really need an introduction? This subsidiary of Roland has released an enormous amount and variety of pedals, and to this day continues to do so. Loathed by some because of its non-boutique character, highly praised by many because of the build quality and sounds. Artists such as Prince and Gary Moore used BOSS pedals mostly.

The Metal Zone pedal from the 90s in particular is responsible for a lot of divided opinions. It was the era of Metallica’s Black Album. The opamp-driven pedal turns a clean amp into a heavy metal monster with an insane amount of distortion. So much that it hardly matters what kind of guitar you are using with it. The fact that it provides EQ controls contributed greatly to its immense popularity among metalheads. It’s one of BOSS’ best-selling pedals ever, and at the same time probably the most hated. And it is still being produced by BOSS today!

Bossarea.com:
“The MT-2 is the metal pedal that followed the HM-2. It was released a couple of years before the HM-3 and was an instant success. It is one of the best selling Boss pedals of all time. The Metal Zone produces a distortion that is a bit smoother than the HM-2 and HM-3. In addition to the LEVEL and DIST controls it’s got a 3 band sweepable parametric equalizer that gives complete control over the MT-2’s tonal spectre."

Lots of companies and people, including Analog Man and Keeley, have modded the MT-2, for example turning it into an overdrive suitable for fusion.

History of the Metal Zone
Review on Tone Start
Tips in Tone Report

Fractal Audio captures the sound of the Metal Zone in the M-Zone Dist model. The Owner’s Manual describes the M-Zone Dist model as follows: “Simulates the Boss Metalzone, popular for extreme gain settings”. Its Clip Type is Silicon. Judging from the release notes the model hasn’t seen a specific update in a long time.

The real pedal has these controls:
  • Level: sets the output level (model: Level control).
  • 3-band EQ (low, mid, high): active EQ controls (model: Bass, Mid, Treble).
  • Dist: controls the amount of distortion (model: Drive control).
The Mid control is where it counts. Select the desired frequency and turn up/down the Mid level.

Personal note
Can't compare it to the original, but the Drive control in the model is peculiar. Its functionality seems to be limited to the very early range only. Can't hear much of a difference between Drive at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Maybe the model is in need of a check?
Of course the Drive block allows us to adjust far more things than the modeled pedal: Bias, Slew, Mix, Low Cut and High Cut and other parameters are available to us. But that's beyond the scope of this thread. Those parameters are discussed in the manual and wiki.

About CPU usage:
  • Fractal Audio's Drive models take up varying amounts of CPU. The “M-Zone Dist” model requires a moderate amount.
  • When a Drive block is engaged, CPU percentage will rise during playing, because CPU usage is "amplitude dependent".

Link to the list of published threads

Last edited:
It's also about individual preferences, like already mentioned in the description.

I'm using this pedal in attempt to nail the Crowbar tone. Kirk boosts his Randall with it. I'm not quite there yet but I'm not sure about the amp, since there's no Randall modelled. If anyone has a tip, I would be grateful.

I have fond memories of this pedal. Back in the day I had a solid state 100 watt Crate 2x12 amp. Was loud but did not have a great distorted tone, surprise surprise right ?

Well I certainly couldn't afford the Ada mp1 I wanted, or a Mesa etc

I was able to save up $89 (pricey for a pedal back then) and get a metalzone. Was far better tone than my Crate amp, and the parametric eq really helped get those Pantera, Sepultura etc metal tones I was after

Classic pedal for sure. Not one i'd use today but it made teenage me very happy

This is the Nickleback of guitar pedals. It sounds great but it is in style to hate on it. All the cool kids hate it so it must suck!!!

I played in my high school talent show my sophomore year with a bunch of senior students that had a "band" and needed a lead player to cover a three-song smashup or medley or whatever you want to call it. Enter Sandman > Knock Me Down (Chili Peppers) > Freebird... yea.. in that order.. and yes, those tunes..

I used a borrowed MT-2 and a Peavey VTM 60 half stack.. and an all orginal '65 Strat that belonged to the drummer's Dad..
It went over as well as you might expect.. but that damn Strat still haunts me.. not the MT-2 though..

I don't know what you guys think but none of those pedals in Yek's last video sounds particularly impressive with the AC30. I would have thought that at least the first two would make an impression but to be honest I'd rather like the AC30's top boost channel slammed with an RCB in front. Divine sound both for SC and HBs. IMHO.

Two notes on this pedal:

1) The Ozzy Osbourne song "Perry Mason" had guitars that were tracked supposedly as Gtr-> Metal Zone -> SPX 900 -> mic pre -> 2" 8-track tape. Killer tone.

2) using the Metal Zone drive block in the AF2 and playing with Mix & advanced parameters in front of certain amps can get you that b7k Darkglass kind of vibe. YMMV

I don't really now what all the hate is about for this pedal. Sure it might not be my choice for the ultimate metal tone, you have to look at it in the context of what it would be mainly used for. If you have a low to mid gain amp but still need the occasional searing metal lead, it's probably perfect for that. Or if you need a lot of distortion at a much lower volume. In the context of the axe, if you are going for an early Dimebag Darrell tone it could work well for that too. I'm not sure if he used one, but there is no high gain solid state model in the axe, so using a MZ might get you closers to that sound.

MT-2 mid frequency control = poor man's wah. Be sure to bring a friend.

I have actually not used the model in the axe before. Just tried it and reminded me a lot of the real pedal. The eq section.... its insane how bad you can make it sound if you want it to

Last edited:
MT-2 mid frequency control = poor man's wah. Be sure to bring a friend.

I have actually not used the model in the axe before. Just tried it and reminded me a lot of the real pedal. The eq section.... its insane how bad you can make it sound if you want it to

"Bad" is totally relative though. I remember when solid state amps like a Randall Century head were literally going for about $100 or less used at Guitar Center, pawn shops etc. Everyone thought it was the crappiest and least "Marshall/tube amp" tone you could get, and then Dimebag Darrel came along with a tone like nobody had every heard before, and everyone wanted those amps, paying over a grand for them, and a new generation of guitar players had a reference of what "good" tone is. I got a job at a Guitar Center soon after and I lost count how many times I heard the "Walk" riff played each Saturday lol

I think no matter how "bad" of tone someone might have, there is surely someone else trying to chase said artist tone thinking its great

Seen a live blues concert once. The guitarist had a great lead tone. Got to meet him after the show and look at his rig. He said he was using just the MT-2 into his tube amp (can't remember what kind). That day forever changed my perspective of that pedal.

Back
Top Bottom