Fractal Audio - Atomic CLR - RCF NX - Tannoy VX - Matrix - YouTube Video

As I looked up the weight of the speakers I was slightly relieved to find the non RCF speakers about 20 lbs heavier than the RCF. That means no succumbing to potential GAS as my RCFs sound great to me and my back doesn't mind carrying 2.

Thanks for the video.

As I looked up the weight of the speakers I was slightly relieved to find the non RCF speakers about 20 lbs heavier than the RCF. That means no succumbing to potential GAS as my RCFs sound great to me and my back doesn't mind carrying 2.

Thanks for the video.

IMHO, the RCF and these other speakers are all some of the best under $2000 each I've personally heard. You would need a power amp with the Tannoy passives; and the Tannoy speakers are not lightweight.

Note: the CLR is only about 10lbs heavier. Not 20lbs. The Tannoy speakers are heavy, especially for the passives.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, Scott.

Is it safe to assume a dedicated review of the CLR--with your customary level of detail--is forthcoming?

Contact Mike Pyle - my full review will be up shortly on the Tannoy's. The VX12HP is over $1K from Mike, and notably higher elsewhere if you are in the USA.
Thanks! If they're >$1k I think I'll just cool my jets and wait for my name to come up on the Atomic list. I sold my Yorkville E10P before we left Canada at the beginning of the month and maybe that was a bit impulsive. I figured I'd have a hard time selling it State-side as Yorkville isn't very well known down here.

You've got me drooling for a Luxxtone now too. :)

and a review of the new matrix powered cab and new Xitones as well? (I hope)

I would if they wanted me to review them. Nothing firm in the works at this point in time, though I've been discussing the possibility of reviewing with both in separate conversations. We'll see.

Thanks for posting this, Scott.

Is it safe to assume a dedicated review of the CLR--with your customary level of detail--is forthcoming?

Yes.

It will have to be preliminary "First Impressions" but I've been diligently putting it through it's paces. I need a month or two so to really do the review in the manner I prefer. I try to do real world stuff, take my time to really understand the pluses and minuses with the gear to see how it works and go from there. Too many other guys do the whole 'here are the features and now listen to me shred!' thing. LOL. (*Nothing personal against the shredders!). ;) :D

From the Specs I worked out the CLR to be only 4 Lbs heavier than the RCF, and with a better handle it will probably be easier to carry and feel lighter.

From the Specs I worked out the CLR to be only 4 Lbs heavier than the RCF, and with a better handle it will probably be easier to carry and feel lighter.

I think your math is a bit off ...

From the specs the RCF NX12 SMA is 36.3 lbs
The Atomic CLR is 45 lbs

thats 8.7lbs ...

I loved my RCF carrying handle when I had one, really nice design, rubber grip underneath, and it was so slim ... it hung easily by my side when carrying like it wasn't there. I've had various cabs before that always seemed to bang into my knees, the RCF was the first one I had that didn't try to cripple me when I carried it.

Last edited:

The Atomic CLR is 45 lbs

thats 8.7lbs ...

I loved my RCF carrying handle when I had one, really nice design, rubber grip underneath, and it was so slim ... it hung easily by my side when carrying like it wasn't there. I've had various cabs before that always seemed to bang into my knees, the RCF was the first one I had that didn't try to cripple me when I carried it.

The RCF NX's carry handle is not comfortable IMHO. It's been my main criticism of the RCF from day one. It is workable, no doubt. But it's very uncomfortable, unless you flatten your fingers which is not the biggest deal unless you have to lug the thing long distances up stairs. Then, it's a two hand affair. Also, because it is over the control panel, when the weather is bad, the ins/outs and electronics are exposed to the elements... and adjusting anything from a standing position becomes an acrobatic exhibition challenge. LOL. We will have to disagree on the RCF's carry handle.

The RCF NX's carry handle is not comfortable IMHO. It's been my main criticism of the RCF from day one. It is workable, no doubt. But it's very uncomfortable, unless you flatten your fingers which is not the biggest deal unless you have to lug the thing long distances up stairs. Then, it's a two hand affair. Also, because it is over the control panel, when the weather is bad, the ins/outs and electronics are exposed to the elements... and adjusting anything from a standing position becomes an acrobatic exhibition challenge. LOL. We will have to disagree on the RCF's carry handle.

I have an RCF NX10. I find the handle very uncomfortable and it gets in the way of seeing and accessing jacks and controls. Luckily, it sounds fantastic and I spend more time listening to it than carrying it.

The Atomic CLR is 45 lbs

thats 8.7lbs ...

Yeah you a right, apologies, wrong conversion rate.

That jcm patch is great Scott!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell yeah! I'd love to play around with that patch.

The preset isn't anything special at all; JCM800 Drive at 3.50. Master Volume at 6.00. Bass: 3.00, Mid: 7.00, High: 4.00. Presence: 7.00. Bright switch on, (200pf value in the Adv. Menu) and Pick attack at 5.0%. Input trim: 1.755.

The cab is just a single IR Greenback from the forthcoming Own Hammer; but it is a 55hz black back G12M. No air, no motor drive, no EQ, no nothing from the cab block. Proximity 5.00.

Reverb is a large plate, delay is just tape mono, both in parallel to the dry signal and mixed in ever so slightly.

Scott

If you had to choose only one of these to use for all your gigs for the rest of the year which one would you pick today? Assuming you gat a suitable amp for the 2 Passives. Just curious.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom