Fractal Audio - Atomic CLR - RCF NX - Tannoy VX - Matrix - YouTube Video

Thanks! If they're >$1k I think I'll just cool my jets and wait for my name to come up on the Atomic list. I sold my Yorkville E10P before we left Canada at the beginning of the month and maybe that was a bit impulsive. I figured I'd have a hard time selling it State-side as Yorkville isn't very well known down here.

You've got me drooling for a Luxxtone now too. :)

If you are interested in a deal on the Tannoys I have the review samples listed for sale at a good discount:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/sale/63412-tannoy-passive-cabs-sale-vx12-vx12hp.html

Thanks for the work Scott. The RCF is working so well for me that I can't imagine a need to change anytime in the near future. Even so, I am very happy to see more viable options opening up for those looking to amplify the Axe Fx in a manner equaling the quality of the signal being sent. The more the merrier!

Thanks for the work Scott. The RCF is working so well for me that I can't imagine a need to change anytime in the near future. Even so, I am very happy to see more viable options opening up for those looking to amplify the Axe Fx in a manner equaling the quality of the signal being sent. The more the merrier!
same thoughts here
. I really like the RCF 12NX, I'm not gigging and in my house it just sounds really, really good, but...................................
I think I will grab one more FRFR cab and run it in stereo with the RCF at some point.
I just need to hear some more in depth reviews covering the new Atomic actives, the new Matrix actives and any new Xitone active.
If one of these cabs 'feels" and sounds any more guitar cab-ish than the RCF does (although I have figured out how to maximize feel with this thing pretty well now)
I may grab one and dump my JSX combo.
listening to this video a few times now to my ears the Tannoy HP sounds more like a regular guitar cab than any of the others,
but that set up would be way to much cashola for my needs (I want an active cab as well)

Last edited:
I'm hoping someone will get GAS really bad for the CLR or Matrix cab and want to sell their NX12SMA to me for an unbelievable price! That would be a killer stereo setup.

Scott, thanks for the clip; it is time-consuming and we appreciate it. It sounds like the differences between these cabs could be mitigated with EQ. Is that oversimplifying it?

Scott, thanks for the clip; it is time-consuming and we appreciate it. It sounds like the differences between these cabs could be mitigated with EQ. Is that oversimplifying it?

Once recorded? Sure.

The key is that they are all fed the same thing - the tones I dial don't need EQ. They sound great. Well, at least to me. LOL. I do them on a studio monitor setup in my tuned home studio (that you sort of see there in the video). I know what they are. I want the most accurate, flat and uncolored version of those tones in my monitor I use live. All four do the job; these are very much the high end before you go into Meyer Sound and that sort of level of gear. I'm not prepared or have any desire to go there. Any of these four are easily the best I've ever heard for their price range.

So in short, no there is not a HUGE different at all - these are all pro level speakers. All of them sound good. The two I am calling my favorite are the CLR (under $1K) and the Tannoy HD (list is over $1500 plus you need a power amp). Just EQ? Maybe after you record them.

I do not like running EQ on my output unless the venue calls for it. So, I'd not choose to work with a monitor requiring that.

IMHO, YMMV.

Scott, thanks for taking the time to do this. Great noodling btw, I'm with you on the "shredding reviews", LOL... they are usually boring.
It seemed to me that the Tannoy V12HP had pronounced mids as compared to the CLR. Which of those reproduced best what you tweaked/aimed for in your JCM800 patch? I mean, is the Tannoy hyping the mids or is the CLR flatter (or the other way round), more scooped? Or do you think these differences should be accounted for the Matrix amp? (It would be nice to hear the Matrix with the passive CLR, hint hint for the manufacturers...).

So the CLR is un seating the RCF??
How do they sound run in stereo?

They sound killer in stereo. ;)

Scott, thanks for taking the time to do this. Great noodling btw, I'm with you on the "shredding reviews", LOL... they are usually boring.
It seemed to me that the Tannoy V12HP had pronounced mids as compared to the CLR. Which of those reproduced best what you tweaked/aimed for in your JCM800 patch? I mean, is the Tannoy hyping the mids or is the CLR flatter (or the other way round), more scooped? Or do you think these differences should be accounted for the Matrix amp? (It would be nice to hear the Matrix with the passive CLR, hint hint for the manufacturers...).

The Tannoy's are pretty flat with the bump when they are on the floor. There is a bit of an 'edge' on the highs, not unlike Genelec monitors. Some dig it, some don't. I'm neutral, but it is there. The CLR is as flat as I've heard. I think the Matrix amp I used is pretty damn flat.

Scott, regarding EQ, don't you still use the blocking PEQ live, to fit in the FOH mix?

I do not use any blocking, high pass, low pass or anything else live or in the studio. It's all in the IR. Use the right IR and make music.

Scott, the CLR sounded the best to me so far. It sounded rather like it had a boost around 250Hz and 2.5KHz. Did you notice that as well? Sounded more "hi-fi" to me.

I think all 3 sound good. I'd say the I like the CLR the best and the RCF the least. Thanks for the comparison scott!

Sorry for the statement, but all these cabs sound to me -it´s a bad comparison- somehow like transistor saw, when I compare them to most of the direct recorded tones at the recording forum here or via poweramp and real guitarcab. I can´t hear any warmth especially in the highs. They all sound crisp - yes, but that´s all. Maybe it´s Scott´s preset, maybe the recording. Maybe they sound much better "in the room". And the often mentioned opinion that FRFR on stage should sound like that people hear in FOH I can´t agree after listening to the examples. Axe sounds way better plugged direct to FOH gear. Am I the only one who doesn´t like these "soulless" (for me) tones?

Building a better mouse trap. Thats a good thang. It's what "should" drive the market, not buyouts that keep failed or inferior products/companies afloat. That said, I've seen guys take a cheap guitar with a crappy amp, (cause thats all they have) & make music I can only dream of playin.& that has inspired/driven me way more than any "New" gear that has ever come out. New gear orgasims...... well that should be expected by now, & to me ther's nothing wrong with that, but it will not make u sound or play better...my $.02

Any plans on doing a comparison of the Matrix/CLR Passive to the CLR Active? Would be really interested in your opinion on those two setups.

To me the RCF and Atomic sound almost the same, they both have a sort of scooped or hollow sound. The Tannoy sounded different, more direct and in your face. I would have to say that there was something different ether in the way it was recorded (cab axis maybe) or there is a fairly large difference in the Tannoy compared to the RCF and Atomic. Scott did say it was not scientific and that they all sounded good but based on the recordings he posted I have to give the nod to the Tannoy as it sounded more like a mic'd guitar cab.

Now the fact that the RCF and the Atomic sounded pretty much the same tells me that the Atomic is on par with what has arguably become the standard for an FR monitor for the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom