Fractal Audio and the future of... cabinet sims?

@Soultrash Speaking of that, I came up with a simple trick to get rid of the issue with the spacialization of IRs, blending front generic IRs with some far-field back mics from Two Notes, which add in-the-room dimension to the mids (and a bit of comb effect), and can be overloaded and excited to add density to the top end. You can manipulate it to get some dense hissy, thumpy tone with a strong room effect that doesn't disturb the balance of the front IR. It still asks for a bit a search to pan it right, but it's an improvement imho. It kind of restores what the IRs lack. You can ear it there , part 4 is the front mic alone, and part 5 is the back mic, then both at once. The egnater sample also gives a better idea of what it does to hard-panned guitars.

--

@sam I considered it and assume the tone of my answer. When somebody quotes another and answers at the 2nd person, it logically heads for that other person. I am thankful for everyone who gives their opinion on the topic - even those who threaten to boycott my topics - because that's what I asked for and you are all customers with a valuable opinion on Cliff's products. However I am not a product of Fractal Audio myself so opinions about me and my understanding of the product are uncalled for, unless I say something that might mislead another, which I didn't. Hence for a customer to patronize me about my understanding for no reason, assuming their authority on the subject, is plainly insulting and unacceptable.

Maybe a good compromise would be more editing tools in the cab block. Being able to get close with an IR, then get the rest of the way adjusting notches, etc

A good IR is a good IR and doesn´t need to be edited........think of Tyler Ground, his great SRV-Sounds and his fu......ing simple free IR´s......

@danny - I´m absolutely with you - and it´s alwas a good feeling to delete a few IR´s in the Axe, which I don´t need - and to use only a few Favourites. This is my experience after buying many cabpacks. Most of them I use are single Mic IR´s - raw, direct.

Gentlemen, please turn it down a notch. No need to get personal.

A good IR is a good IR and doesn´t need to be edited........think of Tyler Ground, his great SRV-Sounds and his fu......ing simple free IR´s......

@danny - I´m absolutely with you - and it´s alwas a good feeling to delete a few IR´s in the Axe, which I don´t need - and to use only a few Favourites. This is my experience after buying many cabpacks. Most of them I use are single Mic IR´s - raw, direct.

It's not a question of good or bad, but rather is it the tone you are searching for. I feel like I have to get lucky to find the perfect ir. If there were more editing tools, close would be good enough and you could tweak from there.

@BillyZeppa
i am actually not that much after the "amp in the room sound"
when i turn up the room parameter in the cab block to a fairly high level
i am basically somewhere there. the problem with this is, that the room
kind of smears the sound, it takes away a good portion of the attack/definition,
where mic'd cabs sound very "3D" without being smeared...if this makes any sense...

@The Last Romantic
:)

@GM Arts
yeah, browsing thousands of IR's totally kills the workflow and creativity.
something that is more dynamic and intuitive would be great, like a completely algorithmic
cab simulation where you can determine the room, the cab, the speakers, the mic etc.
without any limitations in positioning, distance etcc. oh that would be great...

@DLC86
totally fresh news for me, can you point out a source please! :)

@Tahoebrian5
absolutely. i'd love being able to "fix" the amout of room to certain frequencies for example

@speedloader
good approach, i have tried this myself but got not so great results.
playing with the room parameter in the cab block can help but i think
that it needs a few more things that can be tweaked. i'd basically need
a parameter that let's me determine which frequencies are affected
by the room and which frequencies are not processed.

@DLC86 That sounds promising, a true cab simulator in its own separate unit that can be controlled via ax-fx/ax8/fx8 would be on top of my gear list. That LB-1 seems to also have the potential to solve the resonance matching issues with non-tube amps, I guess. I just hope the cab sim part isn't just another IR loader. Can't wait to hear more!

Back
Top Bottom