Fractal Audio AMP models: Das Metall and Dizzy V4 (Diezel VH4)

His tone, at least on the albums with that talented lady producing, we're VH4 + Super Lead

He was specifically referencing 10,000 Days. Undertow was only a Super Bass. Aenima may have been a blend of dual rectifier and super bass. He didn't start using the VH4 until Lateralus.

At some point it all gets really confusing, what with the band outright lying during interviews about gear they use. They are known to be pranksters and not everything they say can really be trusted. LOL.

I wonder if those are the real settings, if so I am a bit surprised, everything, especially the bass and deep settings are much higher than I'd expect.
The guitar tone 10,000 Days is probably the most perfect modern Rock tone ever in my opinion.

I think the mantra here on the forum to cut low end / bass is not universal.

I have a SLO 100 preset for my Strat with the bass dimed. I got the settings from a Clapton rig rundown. It definitely does not sound overly bassy / flubby.

When I amp matched my real Princeton, I also have the bass almost dimed.

I couldn't say if those are the settings he used on any of his albums but that pic is of the amp he was using on the VIP clinics/discussions. Tool does have that mysterious rep but Adam seems like just a regular guy who is cool as hell. After the clinic I asked him specifically about if they use 432hz tuning. He actually looked a little like"huh?" Definitely got the impression he's all about the art and less about technical details.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 99
I've never been able to find the right tone with the various Dizzy (also with the real amp, in fact at that time I then bought a VHT Pitbull with GEQ), I think it' sa matter of tastes, I largely prefer the Herbie.

Go to the Diesel website and download the VH4 manual, there is a sheet with about 25 different settings from clean to lead, program those patches using those settings into AXE FX -- it's a real eye opener, this amp really CAN do it all, very wide range of great tones!

In an effort to simplify, I kinda decided I'd stick with the VH4 models for a bit and see what tones I could pull out of them. At first I was a little disheartened that the clean channel wasn't modeled, but then I rolled back the Strat's volume know on thechannel 2 model(s). Damn this amp/model is awesome. I'm not sure there's any style you couldn't do well using channels 2 and 3 of the blue and/or silver. And then you have channel 4 just in case.

I'm sure this is true about a great many other models in the Axe too.

Having some buzzing issues with the V4 Silver channel 4 on my AX8, can anyone else attest to this on either the AX8 or the Axe-FX II?

Hopefully its gets sorted out for ya. How were the brit silver issues resolved, FW update?
Yeah, in 3.02, something was wrong with the gain on that one as well. I didn't spend much time with the old Brit Silver so I can't say if that's what's going on with the Dizzy, too. I'm definitely not going to be degrading my firmware just to find that out haha

Having some buzzing issues with the V4 Silver channel 4 on my AX8, can anyone else attest to this on either the AX8 or the Axe-FX II?

This is also occurring on the 2nd channel, now that I've tested it. Really hoping this gets resolved, channel 3 is my current favorite model to use.

I don't have access to a real VH4 but have lately been playing the Silver model and loving all the channels that are included.

Out of curiosity and to round out my understanding of the amp, and potential considerations of acquiring one myself one day, which Axe-FX model most closely matches the missing clean channel? Did Diezel directly base that channel off an existing classic without significant changes?

I jammed the Dizzy models last night along to backing tracks. The models in the AF2 cover a lot of ground, I went from Skillet to Journey, to Kiss and more, it was a ton of fun. For the Skillet/modern type tones the Das Metal did a little better but even with the Dizzy models I was able to get great tones for that style of music.

For anyone whos owned the real deal, how do these models strike you?

I don't have access to a real VH4 but have lately been playing the Silver model and loving all the channels that are included.

Out of curiosity and to round out my understanding of the amp, and potential considerations of acquiring one myself one day, which Axe-FX model most closely matches the missing clean channel? Did Diezel directly base that channel off an existing classic without significant changes?
I´ve played a VH4 stereo before I went to the modeler amps. The cleanchannel of the VH4 isn´t as as great as the other ones.
Diezel tried to make a "combo"-Sound, deep and presence is not active in this channel.
great for chorus-picking sound etc, but I didn´t like it for standard funky sound etc.
So I guess this is why Cliff didn´t use it in the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom