Fractal Audio AMP models: CA3+ (Custom Audio Amplifiers 3+ SE)

Lukather has used different speakers throughout the years. But I think he used V30’s the most. Currently he uses Bogner 412 cabs, which is a blend of V30 and greenbacks (IIRC). But I think he only mics up the V30 live.

In his CAE 3+ se era, he used Custom Audio 212 cabs. Usually they come with V30’s.

Lukather has used different speakers throughout the years. But I think he used V30’s the most. Currently he uses Bogner 412 cabs, which is a blend of V30 and greenbacks (IIRC). But I think he only mics up the V30 live.

In his CAE 3+ se era, he used Custom Audio 212 cabs. Usually they come with V30’s.

sometime ago i watched a YT video from the Lukather first cd solo tour and man what a great great sound used to have back in the 80`s

Based on the PDF it looks as if the post EQ acts as an active EQ since there are both cuts and boosts. Very nice and very helpful. Thanks!
Ok so resurrecting this thread, what was the definitive answer to that post EQ section and how to apply those setting that Mustaine used as mentioned in the first page here? Been wanting to tackle this amps tone for a while starting with the Cowntdown tone!

Also how would you mod the Poweramp section of the amp besides changing the tubes to 6550s in order to work more like a VHT 2150?

Finally what factory cab would you use?

Last edited:
I'm still confused about the Presence & Depth controlling the Post EQ options vs the Power Amp page controlling them. Any thoughts on that? I am having the hardest time getting a tight palm mute when riffing with this pre. Blows me away that people are getting Megadeth palm mutes from it. Mine are sounding flubby and soft, not tight and crisp. I must be missing something critical. Help!
Any luck getting better tones?

I’d start with the master low and gain higher. It’s a preamp and hey tend to like low master . Maybe experiment with an eq before and after amp . Need the right iIR

I gave up long ago and haven't returned to the CAE.

I'm with this guy. At default settings I can't get any cab to sound worthwhile (both muddy and fizzy at the same time.) Too many other fish in the sea to waste time on one that just doesn't agree with me. IMO.

I'm with this guy. At default settings I can't get any cab to sound worthwhile (both muddy and fizzy at the same time.) Too many other fish in the sea to waste time on one that just doesn't agree with me. IMO.
Yeah, same here sadly.

I actually owned a CAE 3+ SE some years back. Paired it with a VHT 2/50/2 power amp (yes, Lukather fan). I used it on dozens of studio sessions and with dozens of different cabs, with great results. I can’t get the Axe fx model to sound even close, regardless of ir’s or advanced tweaking. I find the model quite boomy, muddy and fizzy, while the real amp was tight, focused an punchy.

My guess is that it’s something I’m not doing right or something I’m not considering, but I don’t want to spend more time figuring out what that is anymore. So I also just moved along.

Was messing about with this model last night. It sounds great clean boosted with a drive pedal and through the 4x12 German IR. Give it a go, really heavy and tight. I think I had it about Gain 5, Bass 5, Mids 6, Treble 7, Presence 5 and Depth 4 with the Master turned down a bit.

I think the problems I'm having with it ( won't speak for anyone else ) ..., is I just don't understand how to simulate the Post EQ section !

Back
Top Bottom