Fractal 4cm Club

4CM here, with the Axe II and FM3 delivering awesome tube power amp sims (plus FX etc).

I run the following HV tube preamps with either the AXE II and/or FM3, the AS JCM 800, the Kittyhawk Quattro, a Rocktron Plexi, and custom MTS versions of a Marshall Super Lead/Friedman BE, Dumble Skyliner #134, Matchless Chieftain, Fender Deluxe, Orange OR-120, Hiwatt DR-103, Vox AC30TB, along with the FM3's Cygnus amp models as well.

Last edited:
Hey all. Resurrecting this post a bit, I use my FM3 in 4CM with my Friedman Runt20 and Smallbox 50. Up until now I’ve used the OUT1 method but since reading this thread I have changed to the OUT2 method which IMO is way better! I’ve always been confused on levels but with this routing the volume of the amp is the same as if I was going straight in to it and bypassing the fx loop. OUT1 method there was always a huge volume loss I found. Now I can use my master volumes as normal. Loving it. 👍❤️🎸

Huge loss in OUT1 method would likely be due to I/O parameter issues (i.e. incorrect settings for that specific setup).
I set it up using the Leon Todd video and it worked really well, just that volume was very low compared to straight into amp. I changed I/O parameters and tried everything I could. Dave Friedman said the amp loop is -10 which is what I set the FM3 to. I tried +4 but this was very noisy. It all worked really well but if I A / B the FM3 in loop and just the amp, massive difference. Now with the OUT2 method that’s all gone, and I can use OUT1 for FOH if needed.

FX return of my amp is being served by Out 2 - essentially there is an unofficial way of using Out 2 instead of Out 1 for 4CM (which then frees up Out1 for you to use it in any other way) - I suppose I was already doing this on the AX8 before the FM3 so was already aware of the capability to do it. - you use OUT2 in Stereo and pan row 1 hard left and then use IN 2 as left only as your "after" preamp run which are panned right into OUT2 - OK, you lose some of the stereo bits but you would anyway with an amp FX loop!! Out 1 for is then running a pair of cab/IR in Stereo to FOH.

IMO, it actually works better than OUT1 method as you are able to keep things Unity for amp FX loops which again is key to keeping hiss and noise levels at a minimum.

I got the inspiration for it from here - https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/solved-fm3-output.161944/page-2#post-1939929

4 Cable Method without using Output 1:

Out 2L to front of amp
Amp fx loop send to In 2L
Out 2R to amp fx loop return

You'll probably want to set Out 2 level knob to 100% as it affects both pre & post output levels.

Input 2 mode = Left only
Output 2 Mode = stereo

5xcsYlG.png
Hi all

I am using the above OUT2 4CM with great results. Question, I would like to use OUT1 which is now free to be able to send to FOH if needed. I guess I'd need to add a cab block somewhere for this but could somebody help me with how I would route my signal to a cab block and OUT 1?

@WelshLukather ,en la salida 2 en el FM3 no hay boost/pad.en referencia a :Boost/Pad - 6dB (este es el que REALMENTE marcó la diferencia con el silbido).
Si es Linea puede ir a+4db o -10db.
La otra opcion que no es linea es a 18db(baja mucho el volumen.
Aparte de esto mi problema es que la fila de IN 1 tiene mucha salida,si la pongo a nivel de la 2 tengo que bajar muchos db aunque no tenga efectos.
un saludo

Back
Top Bottom