Formant Talk Box

Can it be used for Man In the Box, Rocky Mountain Way, etc? You just program the vowel sounds and control with the expression pedal?

Can it be used for Man In the Box, Rocky Mountain Way, etc? You just program the vowel sounds and control with the expression pedal?
Man In The Box will be easier that Rocky Mountain Way. If a song requires articulated words, you won't be able to nail it exactly, because the are more than three vowel sounds, and they happen in multiple sequences. But Man In The Box can be pretty convincing.

It still is not like a vocal talkbox. Moke did well but at the end of the day its programmed and is nothing like a vocal tube and mike.

Well worth the 10 dollars . He has already done all the work... it’s not Just the formant settings. There is much more to it to make it sound great.
I’m totally down for paying that but am uncertain where to find it and how to get it. I have used my pc for configuration and customization but never bought a download before. Help! Please!

I’m totally down for paying that but am uncertain where to find it and how to get it. I have used my pc for configuration and customization but never bought a download before. Help! Please!

https://www.custompresets.com/store/c19/'Artist/Song_Specific'_-_'Axe-Fx_III'_Presets.html

I bought his preset (@Moke) "Livin' On A Prayer" and am quite happy with it. I use it live in my Pink Floyd tribute band for Pigs - Three Different Ones. I tweaked the delay a bit and mostly left it alone. It works great. You get the .sysx file in a zip folder and once you unzip it you can drag it into an open user preset slot in Axe Edit. It's easy and I never did that before. Make sure the wah is not bypassed. The combination of the wah and formant make this work great. Moke offers a humbucker version or a single coil version and you can use 1 or 2 expression pedals (I use 1). You may have to change the cabinet or place his in the correct user slot. I am sure I kept his entire chain. I may have added more gain to it myself but I barely tweaked it. I think I reviewed the sweep range of the expression pedal a bit to make sure I got a nice range of effect. The preset works great in the Em key.

I have my Pigs Preset with 6 scenes on a FC6. I put the talkbox preset from Moke on it's own preset right after Pigs since I use a preset per song in my tribute band. I use a hold function on the scene page to skip forward to the next preset - play the talkbox solo - and hold to scene back to the song. I did this to preserve my tones for the song and use Moke's preset as a dedicated talkbox. Works for me.

The vowel range in the formant he uses is excellent and I left it alone. The great thing about this is I don't have to bring a Banshee Talkbox & microphone & stand to a gig for a part of one song. My Banshee broke on me at a theater show and (I am done lugging that thing around). What a time saver. The regulars that come to our shows liked it better than my real talkbox and were wondering where the sound was coming from. Too much gear for me these days. I ditched all my analog effects and 5 guitars I used to bring. Now my new Axe Fx 3 makes it so easy to go to gigs with one guitar (I use an Alex Lifeson Les Paul with piezo). I can run the pickups in parallel and use the piezo for acoustic songs. I am so happy with the Axe Fx III and Moke's preset saves me so much hassle and it sounds great.

I built all my Pink Floyd presets using a Mission Gemini FRFR wedge and they sound great FOH. I found I enjoyed building my own from scratch. I have bought some others but settled on my own. As an aside the acoustic presets I bought from another source and use those for Floyd songs with piezo.

Cheers

Last edited:
https://www.custompresets.com/store/c19/'Artist/Song_Specific'_-_'Axe-Fx_III'_Presets.html

I bought his preset (@Moke) "Livin' On A Prayer" and am quite happy with it. I use it live in my Pink Floyd tribute band for Pigs - Three Different Ones. I tweaked the delay a bit and mostly left it alone. It works great. You get the .sysx file in a zip folder and once you unzip it you can drag it into an open user preset slot in Axe Edit. It's easy and I never did that before. Make sure the wah is not bypassed. The combination of the wah and formant make this work great. Moke offers a humbucker version or a single coil version and you can use 1 or 2 expression pedals (I use 1). You may have to change the cabinet or place his in the correct user slot. I am sure I kept his entire chain. I may have added more gain to it myself but I barely tweaked it. I think I reviewed the sweep range of the expression pedal a bit to make sure I got a nice range of effect. The preset works great in the Em key.

I have my Pigs Preset with 6 scenes on a FC6. I put the talkbox preset from Moke on it's own preset right after Pigs since I use a preset per song in my tribute band. I use a hold function on the scene page to skip forward to the next preset - play the talkbox solo - and hold to scene back to the song. I did this to preserve my tones for the song and use Moke's preset as a dedicated talkbox. Works for me.

The vowel range in the formant he uses is excellent and I left it alone. The great thing about this is I don't have to bring a Banshee Talkbox & microphone & stand to a gig for a part of one song. My Banshee broke on me at a theater show and (I am done lugging that thing around). What a time saver. The regulars that come to our shows liked it better than my real talkbox and were wondering where the sound was coming from. Too much gear for me these days. I ditched all my analog effects and 5 guitars I used to bring. Now my new Axe Fx 3 makes it so easy to go to gigs with one guitar (I use an Alex Lifeson Les Paul with piezo). I can run the pickups in parallel and use the piezo for acoustic songs. I am so happy with the Axe Fx III and Moke's preset saves me so much hassle and it sounds great.

I built all my Pink Floyd presets using a Mission Gemini FRFR wedge and they sound great FOH. I found I enjoyed building my own from scratch. I have bought some others but settled on my own. As an aside the acoustic presets I bought from another source and use those for Floyd songs with piezo.

Cheers
Awesome! Thanks so much. I’ll dive into this over the weekend. Yes I had tired of lugging around my Banshee as well. It went away with all my other pedals and much prefer the one-stop shop of having everything processed through my FX8. Awesome awesome technology that Fractal.

I did add a formant patch to one of my banks, tweaking the AAA,EEE, OOO vowels and am using the fractal pedal to annunciate. Works pretty good but after reading so much about the Moke download I wanna optimize that effect.
Funny how everyone automatically assumes that you wanna simply emulate Frampton with the talk box. I too perform covers on an every weekend basis. But I’m looking to use the talk box for a lot of those tunes where I get to improv on solos.

BTW...KUDOS on the Pigs covers. Do yourself a favor.. Once it’s released, get a hold of Roger Waters “Us and Them Live” DVD. Been going to his shows since the PF days but this is the first tour in decades that he’s performed the majority of Animals live. Such a tragically under appreciated album.
Cheers and thanks again!
Steve

Back
Top Bottom