Forgive me for such a novice question...

So don’t right click? Or don’t turn things off globally?
hmm who said that? you can't turn off things globally. you can right click, or you can use the list to quickly get to everything in one spot as i said.

in the thread you are referring to - believe it was a 11.01 Beta thread I had commented that everything sounded brighter. You said something like “then just turn the treble knob down.” I thought it was kind of a smartass comment.
Here, you responded with “hmmm. Who said that?” Both of those come off as being a little above it all in my opinion. No big deal. All I responded with is “pardon, I’m not in front of my computer - not sure if you’re trying to be snarky...” and it’s turned into all this.
I apologized if I misinterpreted your tone. I’m not sure why it needs to continue.

One thing to keep in mind is that when people build presets with "controllers" active on certain parameters, that does not necessarily mean the controller is a foot switch.

The controller may be a sequencer, LFO, dynamics range, et al. Defeating that controller could radically alter the sound or feel of the preset, depending upon what parameters are being controlled by a certain method.
That’s a good point.

I guess but I was literally asking that. The “hmm” was to soften it so it didn’t sound like a snarky “WHO SAID THAT!”

I’ve been doing this for over 10 years. I have the most posts on this forum. I type a lot, often, on topics I’ve answered before as well. I type as much as I think necessary for the situation.

I think it’s just too easy to take any written text in a negative connotation. I’ve posted links to my site as an answer and have been yelled at for “not taking the time” to answer. I’ve posted the page number or a screenshot of the manual with the exact answer and yelled at for not taking the time to type something original.

Some days I just don’t understand.
If we had not had the other interaction, I wouldn’t have thought twice about the “hmmm” thing. But good Lord - I’ve apologized twice. Let’s move on.

It could possibly be an expression in recognition that the poster didn’t lift his little finger to even research the manual, the wiki, the forum, YouTube or any number/litany of very valuable resources for just taking the easy way out and asking somebody. Then the possibility of attitude when trying to help. <roll eyes>

Perhaps its an old school “try to help yourself” versus new school “somebody else do the work and help me” kind a thing.

dunno ...
Dude. I didn’t even ask a question. I answered it.

in the thread you are referring to - believe it was a 11.01 Beta thread I had commented that everything sounded brighter. You said something like “then just turn the treble knob down.” I thought it was kind of a smartass comment.
Here, you responded with “hmmm. Who said that?” Both of those come off as being a little above it all in my opinion. No big deal. All I responded with is “pardon, I’m not in front of my computer - not sure if you’re trying to be snarky...” and it’s turned into all this.
I apologized if I misinterpreted your tone. I’m not sure why it needs to continue.
i'm just trying to understand where i went wrong for future posts. i'm not asking for more apologies. forums often reference older content, and it's simply being discussed. i'm not again asking for your specific thoughts or explanations.

seeing that this thread's "issue" with me came up based on a previous interaction, i can understand. seems like the "hmm" part specifically caused it. as i said, i honestly don't know what i could have said given the previous interaction to "prove" that i wasn't being snarky at all. so it looks like nothing could have been done differently here. the "hmm" was meant to soften the written tone. without it, anyone could see it as "who said that (you idiot)!"

again, there's nothing here specifically directed toward you at all. it's just that your posts were involved and i'm just talking it out for the sake of myself and the forum in general.

GENERAL STATEMENTS:

as i said, i hate to bring it up, but this topic comes up for so many of the usual helpers here, and for me a lot. so i'm taking the opportunity to discuss it and learn if i could have done anything better. i work and try very hard to type things here that are helpful, accurate, and easy to understand. i have to gauge whether more words are helpful or hurtful, and sometimes i can guess wrong.

i'll continue to offer what i can to this forum, and if people have a problem with it for whatever reason, it is what it is.

i've been doing this for over twelve years now. i'm not paid. i don't work for fractal, though i am a beta tester. i enjoy the gear and enjoy helping people. i've come across this "issue" several times hopefully understandably in that amount of time. many times it's a misunderstanding, and i truly never intend to be snarky.

sometimes i'm accused of it though for questions like "did you restart the unit?" i honestly don't know how to ask that simple question in any other way without adding a ton of phrases that distract from the actual question. "did you restart the unit" turns into "wtf you think this is my first gear ever? i'm a computer programmer with 30 years of experience, how dare you talk to me like i'm an idiot!" and on and on, getting my head bit off. and yet, that was the answer to the problem in many cases.

shrug

whatever. i'll keep going.

Last edited:
Maybe a “not being snarky here - but have you tried restarting?”
I own a pro audio forum. I’m well aware of these “issues.” I always consider when I type how it might be read.

Maybe a “not being snarky here - but have you tried restarting?”
I own a pro audio forum. I’m well aware of these “issues.” I always consider when I type how it might be read.

Caveating every answer with a bunch of "please don't be offended" is no way to run a railroad, especially when so many questions asked on the forum contain little more information than "hey somethings not working, why is that?" If every question asked came with 3 or 4paragraphs describing everything the user tried 1st, then the folks trying to help wouldn't have to start from the very basics every time.

Communication can be difficult sometimes...

This is the last post I'll make on this. Obviously, every post wouldn't require that. But if you're going to post something that might be construed - or misconstrued - as patronizing, it may require a "This has happened to me - I restarted and it worked." It's not that difficult.

This is the last post I'll make on this. Obviously, every post wouldn't require that. But if you're going to post something that might be construed - or misconstrued - as patronizing, it may require a "This has happened to me - I restarted and it worked." It's not that difficult.
Onus should always be on the reader to assume good intentions when reading. The writer can't know the subtle, unspoked rules the reader wants to impose on the world such as what you write above.

Assume good intentions, the rest falls into line pretty quickly.

Onus should always be on the reader to assume good intentions when reading. The writer can't know the subtle, unspoked rules the reader wants to impose on the world such as what you write above.
You can also easily say the reverse - the onus should always be on the writer to communicate good intentions when writing. The reader can't know the subtle, unspoken rules that the writer wants to impose on their audience. I reference the example I mentioned earlier about the far field IR fiasco at TGP. It was a very detailed 82 page thread, and if anybody came in and asked question, the OP yelled at them to research the thread. Why did he get to impose his own set of rules on a particular thread? Short answer - he didn't. So he literally picked up his toys and left.

I'm married to a Physics PhD, a NASA engineer. Absolutely brilliant, a MENSA member, the whole nine yards. And yet she has me proofread many of her important communications, because she knows how she comes across at times.

Oh well, time for bed...

EDIT: It looks like the thread on TGP is up to 102 pages, and the OP got banned.

Last edited:
The issue is anything can be misconstrued.

“oh you did that and it worked? I must be SO stupid to not think of that. Thanks for showing off.”

see? Easy.

The issue is anything can be misconstrued.

“oh you did that and it worked? I must be SO stupid to not think of that. Thanks for showing off.”

see? Easy.
Do you have an example of somebody actually responding like that to a good reply? Because that seems a bit “grasping at straws” to me just to prove a point.

Do you have an example of somebody actually responding like that to a good reply? Because that seems a bit “grasping at straws” to me just to prove a point.
I can confirm that I have gotten a few replies that are pretty close to that.

I can confirm that I have gotten a few replies that are pretty close to that.
Interesting. Was it just a one-off reply, or was it in a thread? I’d like to see some of those exchanges! At any rate, it seems the easiest thing to do with those folks is just block them. If they are that pissy right from the get go, then I don’t need to see any more. I’ve probably got 20 guys blocked at TGP. The assholiness there is unbelievable at times.

Interesting. Was it just a one-off reply, or was it in a thread? I’d like to see some of those exchanges! At any rate, it seems the easiest thing to do with those folks is just block them. If they are that pissy right from the get go, then I don’t need to see any more. I’ve probably got 20 guys blocked at TGP. The assholiness there is unbelievable at times.
Honestly I don't remember those details... I try not to dwell on that stuff.

I do use the block feature but very sparingly. I've been here and pretty active since 2013. I think I've blocked 5 or 6 people in that time and most of them were almost instantaneous things.

I don’t keep a record of those but it’s definitely happened. Often enough.

What I discovered is many people want to ask for help but at the same time not be wrong about something. They try to blame the gear or something else instead of just saying “yeah I had the cable in the wrong place.” And when they can’t find something to blame, they pop off at the guy who just solved their problem. Basic human nature stuff, but over text only, it’s pretty rough.

Last edited:
i'm just trying to understand where i went wrong for future posts. i'm not asking for more apologies. forums often reference older content, and it's simply being discussed. i'm not again asking for your specific thoughts or explanations.

seeing that this thread's "issue" with me came up based on a previous interaction, i can understand. seems like the "hmm" part specifically caused it. as i said, i honestly don't know what i could have said given the previous interaction to "prove" that i wasn't being snarky at all. so it looks like nothing could have been done differently here. the "hmm" was meant to soften the written tone. without it, anyone could see it as "who said that (you idiot)!"

again, there's nothing here specifically directed toward you at all. it's just that your posts were involved and i'm just talking it out for the sake of myself and the forum in general.

GENERAL STATEMENTS:

as i said, i hate to bring it up, but this topic comes up for so many of the usual helpers here, and for me a lot. so i'm taking the opportunity to discuss it and learn if i could have done anything better. i work and try very hard to type things here that are helpful, accurate, and easy to understand. i have to gauge whether more words are helpful or hurtful, and sometimes i can guess wrong.

i'll continue to offer what i can to this forum, and if people have a problem with it for whatever reason, it is what it is.

i've been doing this for over twelve years now. i'm not paid. i don't work for fractal, though i am a beta tester. i enjoy the gear and enjoy helping people. i've come across this "issue" several times hopefully understandably in that amount of time. many times it's a misunderstanding, and i truly never intend to be snarky.

sometimes i'm accused of it though for questions like "did you restart the unit?" i honestly don't know how to ask that simple question in any other way without adding a ton of phrases that distract from the actual question. "did you restart the unit" turns into "wtf you think this is my first gear ever? i'm a computer programmer with 30 years of experience, how dare you talk to me like i'm an idiot!" and on and on, getting my head bit off. and yet, that was the answer to the problem in many cases.

shrug

whatever. i'll keep going.
Chris,
For what it's worth, you are always helpful in your posts and don't beat around the bush. And yes I've asked questions before to the OP, that could be misinterpreted. Unfortunately statements without emojis, can be taken wrong by certain sensitive users. So don't worry about it and keep doing what you are doing. And I'll do the same. ;)

I can't understand why people are so eagerly offended these days, they seem to actually enjoy it, maybe even court it.
Surely offence, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Back
Top Bottom