Forgive me for such a novice question...

Uh. “Bent over backwards?” Give me a break. He’s welcome to ignore my posts anytime he wants.
I could continue right clicking and my life would be fine.
i have no need to ignore you. i don't know where this animosity is coming from. you asked a question and my reply was "no" directly to that question.

you can right click if you want. but sometimes parameters with modifiers are hard to find, so i suggested an alternate method as an option.

not sure what's happening here.

I apologize if that wasn’t your intent. There was also a previous thread where I thought you were dismissive and short in a response to me...then it seemed that way here.

Quite often you'll notice that the most knowledgeable people come across as being 'short' sometimes, not only on this forum. They are often the ones offering the most help so I'm sure it can get frustrating for them at times.

Best thing is don't take it personally. In this case I don't see any animosity, just an obvious miscommunication.

As you were. :)

Ah yes, the internet. Where tone and intent are too often impossible to read.

@Johnkenn, I assure you, @chris was not being dismissive or short. On the contrary, as you journey on with the Axe-Fx, you'll find him to be one of your most valuable resources here for digging into everything this box has to offer. Any brevity in an answer is a necessity given the amount of time he devotes to answering SO many questions on this forum (check this post count!).

All @chris is saying, and rightly so, is depending on the preset, it's not always a good idea to blindly defeat modifiers. Hence no global defeat. Especially on many presets with intricate effects, the core sounds could very well rely on those modifiers that are attached.

You'll get a lot out of digging into how modifiers behave now as a new user, even if you're getting along ok so far just switching them off. Do check out the excellent manual.

Enjoy @austinbuddy's presets. They are phenomenal.

Last edited:
Or...one can ignore certain people on here and have a much better experience. I have ignored a select few and my experience is much better.

Dad (or as some people call him, Cliff) is often very short: one-word short in many cases. It’s not malice, it’s just that he’s, well, busy. I think you’d miss a lot of you blocked him, or Chris, or Unix-guy, or any of these other legends who are really giving away an incredible wealth of expertise for free.

When I started as a programmer I was often very hurt and offended by terse, short answers. I eventually figured out: it’s not personal, it’s just efficient. As Zed mentioned above, with so much output it’s hard to always triple-check everything you say for tone, and as Cooper said, this is especially hard on a context-poor medium such as the Internet. I assure you none of these guys is trying to be mean.

I’m a professional copy writer, and I have to work very hard to get tone right and guess how the audience will perceive it, and I still sometimes get it wrong. I’d much rather get access to the potent elixir of wisdom wrapped in the brown paper bag of brevity, than insist on verbal silver service - especially when I’m eating for free.

Dad (or as some people call him, Cliff) is often very short: one-word short in many cases. It’s not malice, it’s just that he’s, well, busy. I think you’d miss a lot of you blocked him, or Chris, or Unix-guy, or any of these other legends who are really giving away an incredible wealth of expertise for free.
Look, Ma! I'm a legend! :D

And in good company ;)

I agree. Sometimes it's hard to get into every detail and also, you've answered the same question 100 times. That can make it difficult to be enthusiastic about your answer.

I try not to be short or dismissive... But some people seem to bring it out. I work hard to just let it go.

But I like helping and I'm a technical guy with a really good memory for details so here I am :)

I downloaded the Austin Buddy preset packs but there are certain options in the amp block I can't engage for some reason. See photo below for details but, for instance, it won't let me turn on the input boost. I noticed there are little circles under the options, the ones that are solid yellow cannot be engaged or disengaged. How do i fix this?View attachment 63935
Hi Kyloc:

In most (not every) Naked Amp preset, i use the controller switches (CS) and assign them to an amp function so they can be controlled by a foot switch like and FC-12 or FC-6. The user manual covers this.

CS2 controls the Amp Boost

CS3 controls the Fat Switch

CS4 controls the bright switch

CS5 turns on Ideal Saturation.

The presets all default the way I like best. For example, amp boost will default OFF in 95% of presets, but will default ON in a Bogner Ecstasy. The Brite switch will vary. Lot in the Fender amps as to whether it is on or off. The Fat switch may default on for some Friedman amps scenes and not others.
You can always remove it. But some people like having an amp page layout where they can play with this just like they would on a real amp.

i hate to belabor this point, but i honestly don't know how i was being "short" in this thread. a question was asked, i said "no" to answer the question directly, then explained a bit more. there was only one question, which i answered directly. i'm just not understanding. even with past history with this person who called me a smartass in another thread, i didn't even know that was the same person and answered the same way i'd answer for anyone.

I’ve just been right clicking and turning off. Is there a way to globally turn off mod switches considering I don’t use any controllers?
no. that could wreck a preset sometimes.

quickest way is like i mentioned above - click Controllers (top left in Edit) then Modifiers near the bottom. see them all right there, click on them to quickly access and change the source.

One thing to keep in mind is that when people build presets with "controllers" active on certain parameters, that does not necessarily mean the controller is a foot switch.

The controller may be a sequencer, LFO, dynamics range, et al. Defeating that controller could radically alter the sound or feel of the preset, depending upon what parameters are being controlled by a certain method.

i hate to belabor this point, but i honestly don't know how i was being "short" in this thread. a question was asked, i said "no" to answer the question directly, then explained a bit more. there was only one question, which i answered directly. i'm just not understanding. even with past history with this person who called me a smartass in another thread, i didn't even know that was the same person and answered the same way i'd answer for anyone.
It could be the "hmm who said that?" Part of one of your replies. That could be interpreted as patience wearing off.

It could be the "hmm who said that?" Part of one of your replies. That could be interpreted as patience wearing off.
I guess but I was literally asking that. The “hmm” was to soften it so it didn’t sound like a snarky “WHO SAID THAT!”

I’ve been doing this for over 10 years. I have the most posts on this forum. I type a lot, often, on topics I’ve answered before as well. I type as much as I think necessary for the situation.

I think it’s just too easy to take any written text in a negative connotation. I’ve posted links to my site as an answer and have been yelled at for “not taking the time” to answer. I’ve posted the page number or a screenshot of the manual with the exact answer and yelled at for not taking the time to type something original.

Some days I just don’t understand.

I guess but I was literally asking that. The “hmm” was to soften it so it didn’t sound like a snarky “WHO SAID THAT!”

I’ve been doing this for over 10 years. I have the most posts on this forum. I type a lot, often, on topics I’ve answered before as well. I type as much as I think necessary for the situation.

I think it’s just too easy to take any written text in a negative connotation. I’ve posted links to my site as an answer and have been yelled at for “not taking the time” to answer. I’ve posted the page number or a screenshot of the manual with the exact answer and yelled at for not taking the time to type something original.

Some days I just don’t understand.
I get you, that makes sense. Only you can know your intent behind the words you type so I believe you and thanks for the help you privide.

That being said, I don't get why knowledgeable people (not you) chime in on seemingly basic questions semi aggravated as if they're sick of answering it. It's not an obligation to answer, just let someone else take the easy ones.

<snip>
That being said, I don't get why knowledgeable people (not you) chime in on seemingly basic questions semi aggravated as if they're sick of answering it. It's not an obligation to answer, just let someone else take the easy ones.

It could possibly be an expression in recognition that the poster didn’t lift his little finger to even research the manual, the wiki, the forum, YouTube or any number/litany of very valuable resources for just taking the easy way out and asking somebody. Then the possibility of attitude when trying to help. <roll eyes>

Perhaps its an old school “try to help yourself” versus new school “somebody else do the work and help me” kind a thing.

dunno ...

Then the possibility of attitude when trying to help. <roll eyes>

Perhaps its an old school “try to help yourself” versus new school “somebody else do the work and help me” kind a thing.

dunno ...
I fully agree with your idea of old school research and teaching yourself first. I can see some frustration with answering something that's literally page one of the quick setup guide. But if someone goes into a post assuming someone esle is going to give an attitude because they're asking a basic question, maybe that person should just not reply. That's an oddly defensive way of approaching a forum. It is entirely possible I just haven't been around long enough to get to that point of frustration.

I fully agree with your idea of old school research and teaching yourself first. I can see some frustration with answering something that's literally page one of the quick setup guide. But if someone goes into a post assuming someone esle is going to give an attitude because they're asking a basic question, maybe that person should just not reply. That's an oddly defensive way of approaching a forum. It is entirely possible I just haven't been around long enough to get to that point of frustration.

I think we agree :)

Back to this bad-ass flanger(s) and harmonic trem ... just amazing.

It could possibly be an expression in recognition that the poster didn’t lift his little finger to even research the manual, the wiki, the forum, YouTube or any number/litany of very valuable resources for just taking the easy way out and asking somebody. Then the possibility of attitude when trying to help. <roll eyes>
But that’s based on perception, isn’t it? A knowledgeable user knows pretty much exactly how to find info that they need, and I think at times they assume that everybody else should know how to find this information. A newbie is out there floundering and they may not know about all of the available resources, nor do they know how to use those resources. Based on which person you are in that equation, you may find the other person to either be tiring or curt.

For example, there was a thread at TGP about far field IRs. I didn’t dare say anything, because the expert there had a habit of chopping heads if you had not read every comment in the 80+ page thread. The guy has more knowledge than anybody in this area, but he has zero tact. He eventually left, which was sad, but a lot of people breathed a sigh of relief.

So when somebody refers to a new user as someone who “didn’t even lift their little finger” to do the research that THEY feel the other person should do, maybe they have a point... but maybe the other person is totally overwhelmed by the amount of information that can be researched. I mean if you’ve come from a guitar, a wah, maybe a dirt pedal and amp to the AXE FX III that has a 200-page manual (which needs updating), a wiki - (seriously, a WIKI? WTF is THAT?) - then just about everything about it is potentially daunting. So you ask a question and sometimes you get the answer, and then sometimes you get a dose of snark along with the answer. How is that possibly helpful to anyone?

I come here for a break from the self-entitled a-holes that perpetually inhabit the TGP, and most of the time it’s a pleasant change. But not always. So my bit of advice is this - if you find yourself rolling your eyes over a question that you’ve seen dozens of times, PASS. Let somebody else handle it. It’ll be better for everyone. There is nothing here that requires you to provide a response. I’ve come to that conclusion based on my own level of participation in other forums where I am more knowledgeable. If I find myself saying, “This again?!?” then I just move on. And when I’m the noob and somebody acts all high and mighty, I just block them. No need for in-thread drama. Keep ‘er movin’!

But that’s based on perception, isn’t it? A knowledgeable user knows pretty much exactly how to find info that they need, and I think at times they assume that everybody else should know how to find this information. A newbie is out there floundering and they may not know about all of the available resources, nor do they know how to use those resources. Based on which person you are in that equation, you may find the other person to either be tiring or curt.

For example, there was a thread at TGP about far field IRs. I didn’t dare say anything, because the expert there had a habit of chopping heads if you had not read every comment in the 80+ page thread. The guy has more knowledge than anybody in this area, but he has zero tact. He eventually left, which was sad, but a lot of people breathed a sigh of relief.

So when somebody refers to a new user as someone who “didn’t even lift their little finger” to do the research that THEY feel the other person should do, maybe they have a point... but maybe the other person is totally overwhelmed by the amount of information that can be researched. I mean if you’ve come from a guitar, a wah, maybe a dirt pedal and amp to the AXE FX III that has a 200-page manual (which needs updating), a wiki - (seriously, a WIKI? WTF is THAT?) - then just about everything about it is potentially daunting. So you ask a question and sometimes you get the answer, and then sometimes you get a dose of snark along with the answer. How is that possibly helpful to anyone?

I come here for a break from the self-entitled a-holes that perpetually inhabit the TGP, and most of the time it’s a pleasant change. But not always. So my bit of advice is this - if you find yourself rolling your eyes over a question that you’ve seen dozens of times, PASS. Let somebody else handle it. It’ll be better for everyone. There is nothing here that requires you to provide a response. I’ve come to that conclusion based on my own level of participation in other forums where I am more knowledgeable. If I find myself saying, “This again?!?” then I just move on. And when I’m the noob and somebody acts all high and mighty, I just block them. No need for in-thread drama. Keep ‘er movin’!
agreed. when i know the answer is in the owner's manual, i try to at least give the page number or section to look in, so it's not just "it's somewhere in there."

that requires me to open the manual and search for them first, then give the information. sometimes i don't have time to do that though, but i don't want the question unanswered either. so i'll give my best approximation of where things are as opposed to "it's somewhere in there."

if there's a minimum amount of words or work someone needs to put into a post to be "helpful", that kinda sucks. because the question may never be answered at all if no one has time to meet that threshold.

anyway.

So when somebody refers to a new user as someone who “didn’t even lift their little finger” to do the research that THEY feel the other person should do, maybe they have a point... but maybe the other person is totally overwhelmed by the amount of information that can be researched.
My opinion is that if you buy technology then there should be an expectation on your part as a buyer that YOU have to learn how to use that technology.

There's a manual, at minimum, that is readily available to anyone, and it's apparent that in many, many cases the users make no effort to even look there, much less do anything else.

I will (and frequently, do) still help these people and try to refer them to the manual or other resources often.
if you find yourself rolling your eyes over a question that you’ve seen dozens of times, PASS. Let somebody else handle it. It’ll be better for everyone. There is nothing here that requires you to provide a response.
Been there, done that... ;)

Back
Top Bottom