For those with patch bays - loose connections?

Poparad

Power User
I have a VaFam patch bay that I've been using with my AxeFX since I got it 4 years ago, and this thing gets daily use, in and out of my house to gigs, rehearsals, teaching, etc. A few of the locking TRS jacks (mainly Out 1 L and R) and recently the Neutrik blue power port have gotten loose. If my 1/4" cables aren't perfectly placed in the jacks, they short out, and if I bump the power plug, I loose power.

I've never had locking jacks before on any of my gear. Is this typical wear and tear, and is it repairable? The panel is pretty tightly wired, so getting at the components will be tough, but it's better than buying a whole new patch bay.

I use locking connectors in a number of applications (not with the Axe). The connection generally is very good but I recommend inspecting the terminals inside the connectors (blue power connector). The wires will eventually get loose and need to be re-screwed in to the connectors. I have a monthly inspection checklist that preempts that kind of problems. As far as the 1/4 in locking connectors, they're probably dirty/rusty. Use a good contact cleaner or a good circular file and give the contacts a good clean. That should handle it.

The 1/4" jacks actually feel loose, as in they don't really lock anymore. If you pull on them, they'll slip right out of the jack.

Back
Top Bottom