For those who love Mk 2, 3 & 4 Boogie sounds! :o)

Radley

Experienced
For those who love the Mk 2, 3 & 4 Boogie sounds as much as me, check this out:

I may have found an easy way to get great sounds out of the USA llC+ Amp *without* needing to duplicate the 5-Band graphic post-EQ. All you do is move the Amp's tonestack from pre to post position - I still hear the unique tonality of the Mark series overdrive, but without the overbearing mids that made the 5-Band necessary for most users. FWIW, I do use some pre EQ to cut lows to keep the distortion 'tight'. Worth a try! :p

Cheers,
~Rad~

Hmm...I'll have to give that a go later...save me from dialing in that PEQ block. Thanks for the tip!

Mark

Radley said:
For those who love the Mk 2, 3 & 4 Boogie sounds as much as me, check this out:

I may have found an easy way to get great sounds out of the USA llC+ Amp *without* needing to duplicate the 5-Band graphic post-EQ. All you do is move the Amp's tonestack from pre to post position - I still hear the unique tonality of the Mark series overdrive, but without the overbearing mids that made the 5-Band necessary for most users. FWIW, I do use some pre EQ to cut lows to keep the distortion 'tight'. Worth a try! :p

Cheers,
~Rad~

Thanks Rad,

Will try this tonight.

You're welcome. Also, if you want a really MEAN Boogie sound, place the Tonestack at the *end* position - excellent definition with fat lows. :p

~Rad~

Logically, this makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the tip. Sometimes the stuff about the axe that should be obvious is only realized when someone just straight up tells you.

Sounds like something cool to try. I've been wanting to beef up my tone a bit. Thanks for the suggestion.

(But crap, I've got a happy hour gig Fri and an out of town gig on Sat, so I hope to remember to try this when I finally might have some time on Sun).

I'm tellin' ya folks, this simple trick gets me some of the best classic Mk. Boogie tones I've heard, and I also like what it does to the USA Lead amps when you move the tonestack to the 'end' position with either passive or active tone controls. :p

BrianCarroll said:
Thanks a lot Rad !
I did a couple of tests yesterday and it's a great tip.
The cool thing is that there is still plenty of Boogie-esk mids available, but everything feels tighter and cleaner (IMHO) :p There is something about the Mk 2,3 & 4 note attacks and upper midrange timbre that has kind of a velvety-smooth quality - if I were describing pipe tobacco I'd say it's 'sweet as a nut' :p , or 'similar to the malted-barley flavor of Grape Nuts on a frosty winter's morn....' :?

However you choose to describe it, it's a very desirable thing, no?

I love your descriptions Rad :lol: . I too tried this suggestion and like it much better. Excellent tip :cool:

Thanks for that tip, Radley! :D

I really like how the IIC+ sounds with the tonestack at the "end". I adjust the tone controls to mimic the 5 band "V" shape like you suggested and cut the low freq. in the advance par. to about 150hz and BAM! Nice boogie tone!

Thanks again Rad!!!

Back
Top Bottom